Monomoy Regional High School's Weekly Newsletter
Published: February 5th, 2021
Table of contents:
- Important Information
- MRHS News & Weekly Review
- Counselors' Corner
- School Calendar
* * *
Updates, resources, and briefings from Superintendent Dr. Carpenter.
Free and reduced lunch application information
Free and reduced benefits can offer additional support to families and can also include certain other fees being waived or reduced. The data also impacts overall school and district funding, in some cases.
To access the application, please click here.
If you have any questions, please contact Food Services Director Garth Petracca at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* * *
- Many thanks to all of the students who just completed the first-ever asynchronous seminar! You were kind and gracious to work through the challenges as we got this course up and running. Your feedback will help guide us to improve the course going forward - and the positive comments are much appreciated - we are glad that so many enjoyed the chance to become aware of the many issues facing us today - and to put a voice to the many opinions and thoughts you have. I am personally inspired by the hope and optimism you shared. Thank you all - and please continue to work for a better and kinder world. - Mr. Sowpel
Keep up with the flow with the latest from The Current:
- Sports: Hittin' the ice by Grace Ventura '22 (coverage from the Monarchs hockey game on January 30)
- Sports: What's in the air tonight? by Grace Ventura '22 (coverage from the Varsity Boys Basketball game on February 2)
- News: How the COVID-19 relief bill will attempt to change the world by Ella Reeves '25
- Review: The Adventures of 'All American' season 3 by Vidan Vujosevic '25
- Cape Cod: Habitat for Humanity by Joseph Gonnella '21
A message from the MRHS Animal Welfare Club:
If you know of anyone who is in need of pet food for their dogs or cats, there is FREE PET FOOD available every LAST SATURDAY of the month through May
Next distribution is:
- Saturday, February 27, from 10-12 Noon at the Salvation Army Food Pantry, 100 North St., Hyannis.
These are tough times!! Please take advantage of this FREE service if your pet(s) needs food!!
Go to www.ccdart.org for particulars
Our Club has been bringing donations to CCDART!
Class of 2025 fundraising ideas to support local businesses
The Class of 2025 is looking for local fundraising ideas to support local businesses. If you have a business or idea, please email Lindsay Ginnetty, 8th Grade Class Advisor, at email@example.com
MRHS School Store Valentine's Day SALE
Interact Club helping to spread some cheer!
Interact Club is selling Valentine's Day carnations for your special someone, BFF, or favorite teacher! Fill out the form, bring payment to guidance by Feb. 10 and your flowers and personal note will be delivered by Interact students on the Friday before Valentine's Day.
Send one or send several! Only $2.00! MAKE SOMEONE'S DAY!! Spread the LOVE!
Order yours today.
Student Council Valentine's Day Candy Cane Sale
Student council is selling heart-shaped candy canes for $1.00
You may order as many as you would like, but please fill out one form for each order.
Money must be dropped of in Mrs. Hemeon's room (A165) by February 10th.
Seals can drop the money off to the main office.
The valentines will be delivered on Thursday 2/11 and Friday 2/12
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING YOUR STUDENT COUNCIL!
Class of 2022 Popcorn Fundraiser
Each member of the class received an email from Mrs. Corrigan with instructions on how to sign up. She will send another email on Feb 1st. Students must sign up in order to sell and may not sign up until Feb. 1st when the portal opens. This event is 100% virtual. All orders are delivered to your house within 5-7 business day! NO WAITING! 50% of the sales will come right back to the class of 2022. To order your popcorn, please see a 2022 Junior!!
SPIRIT CLUB is hosting a mass MESSAGE EXCHANGE
SPIRIT CLUB is hosting a mass MESSAGE EXCHANGE between grades, with the goal to
spread hope, positivity, cheer, and wellbeing this season. We will be collecting and sending
them out to everyone in the school, including staff. You can submit as many forms as you
want! (We need A LOT!)
You will be writing an anonymous, positive message to a random person in the indicated grade:
8th Graders –– write messages to –– > Seniors
Juniors –– write messages to –– > Freshman
Sophomores –– write messages to –– > Juniors
Freshman. –– write messages to –– > Sophomores
Seniors –– write messages to –– > 8th Graders
Staff –– write messages to –– > All Students
MRHS is launching a new E-Sports team
MRHS is launching a new E-Sports team. Anyone interested in E-Sports, particularly students that currently play Rocket League or League Of Legends are encouraged to fill out the attached survey. Also, feel free to contact Mr. Oldach at firstname.lastname@example.org to express your interest and find out more about the team, the MSAA league format, and the required commitment.
The league starts in several weeks, and spots may be limited based on the level of interest, so you are encouraged to respond as soon as possible!
* * *
College Board has posted dates for the Spring 2021 - Please visit www.collegeboard.org for information and ways to sign up.
https://www.mefa.org/ College Bound Students - MEFA is offering many webinars this month with information on college financing and understanding financial aid.
Wishing you health and safety,
The School Counseling Team
Caitlyn Hall, 8th Grade Counselor
Lindsay Ginnetty, A-F
Sean Burke, G-N
Jon Bennett, Instructional Leader, O-Z
* * *
MRHS Fall II Sports
- Register on Family ID. It is open as of today Monday February 1st.
- Have an updated physical, within 13 months, in to the school nurse.
- Have an updated ImPACT Test with our Athletic Trainer Taylor Murray.
- Complete the free online concussion course at nfhslearn.com and submit the certificate of completion to our Athletic Trainer Taylor Murray.
If you have any questions regarding physicals, ImPACT Testing or the concussion course please contact Taylor Murray at email@example.com.
Although it may be cold in February and March, we look forward to seeing our football players and cheerleaders back on the field!
If you have any questions, feel free to email or call the athletic office. Thank you for your time.
Karen Guillemette, CAA
Director of Athletics
ATHLETIC DISMISSALS - Week of 2/8
Freshman Boys Basketball @ 12:45
V Girls Ice Hockey @ 1:30
V Boys Ice Hockey @ 1:45
V Girls Basketball @ 2:45
V Girls Ice Hockey @ 3:00
V Girls Ice Hockey @ 2:30
* * *
Wednesday, February 10th
Thursday, February 11th
MRSD School Committee Meeting
Per Governor Baker’s order suspending certain provisions of the Open Meeting Law, G.L. c. 30A sec. 20, the public will not be allowed to physically access School Committee meetings.
For public access, including Public Comment, please click the Zoom meeting link as posted per meeting date: https://www.monomoy.edu/Page/3594