First Grade Newsletter
January 14, 2016
- Thursday, January 14 - Science Fair Night (6-7pm)
- Friday, January 15- Field Trip to Dallas Aquarium
- Monday, January 18 - MLK Holiday (No School)
- Wednesday, February 3- Field Trip to Outdoor Learning Center
(Tomorrow!) Field Trip to the Dallas Aquarium
- Send a sack lunch with a drink (everything sent should be able to be thrown away- no containers, water bottles or lunch boxes)
- Wear a Barksdale shirt (if you don’t have one, a red, white or blue one will work fine)
- Dress for the weather! (Pants/Jackets) We will be eating lunch outside at Kylde Warren Park
Middle of the Year Conferences are coming up! Your child's teacher will be emailing you with more information.
Bronco Press is a wonderful opportunity for students to showcase their writing talents by publishing a book. Bronco Press is open to all students in kindergarten through 5th grade. The Bronco Press template and step by step instructions can be found on the PTA website http://www.barksdalepta.org Follow the link, Award Winning PTA, Bronco Press. Students should turn in their typed and illustrated work to their teacher by Wednesday, April 13th. PTA will then bind the books. All student authors will be presented with their bound books at a special author’s reception. What a wonderful treasure and keepsake! The Bronco Press is a part of the principal’s triathlon recognition program.
Buckaroo Barn Donations
Students spend their earned tickets at our first grade store, Buckaroo Barn. We are running low on things the students can pick from. Donations can be small fast food toys, toys you are getting rid of, stickers, stuffed animals, and costume jewelry. If you have any of these things at home, you can send them in to your child's teacher. Thank you!
What We're Learning
Language Arts & Social Studies
This week in language arts we have been focusing on comprehension. Our spelling pattern is long o and long u. In writer's workshop students have been writing "how-to" paragraphs.
Next week, students will be spelling words with three letter blends. They will be identifying contractions with the word not and writing an expository paragraph about Martin Luther King, Jr.
In social studies, we will continue to discuss different cultures and traditions.
Over the next few weeks, students will be working as materials engineers to answer the question: How can we design a wall using rocks and a mortar mixture?
Throughout this unit, students will show their learning by:
- observing and comparing components of soil
- gathering evidence of how rocks, soil, and water help to make useful products
- creating mortar mixture designs and constructing walls made of earth materials
- testing mortar mixtures using a demolition ball
Because science and engineering projects are hands-on, materials are often needed.
Several materials necessary for this unit will be sent out in a sign-up genius email. Your donations are always greatly appreciated.
Follow First Grade!
1st Grade Twitter: @bbengaged1
Barksdale Twitter: @barksdalebronco
1st Grade Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/Gr1Broncos
1st Grade Website: https://sites.google.com/a/pisd.edu/first-grade-barksdale-elementary/