How To: Everyday Math Game
Learn how to play "Top-It Addition" at home!
- You will need between 2-4 players.
- Each player will start with their deck of cards facing down in a pile.
- At the same time, each player will flip over 2 of their cards.
- Each player will add+ together their 2 cards.
- The player who has the largest sum will collect all the cards.
- You will repeat steps 3 and 4 until 1 player has all the cards.
Purpose of Game
- The purpose of "Top-It Addition" is for the students to gain practice with their 0-10 math facts.
- The goal is for students to be able to automatically be able to add the 2 cards together with out having to use adding strategies.
Too Hard? Too Easy?
- Under each number draw dots to represent that number on the card. When the student goes to add the cards together have them use the dots to add together.
- Let the student use a 100 chart to add the numbers together.
- Instead of flipping over 2 cards, try flipping over 3 or 4!
- Use larger numbers on the cards to practice 10-20 math facts!