St. Luke Weekly SMORE
January 9, 2022
Happy New Year!
Today we celebrate the Baptism of Jesus which ends our Christmas season. It is through our baptism that our journey of faith begins. This week we begin the New Year and although the start of our year brings some uncertainties we have faith in knowing that we are all Called to More.
We are very excited for the return of all our St. Luke students. Last week staff worked very hard at planning for their return, navigating through the protocols put in place by the provincial government and our EICS division. For the safety of all our staff and students we ask that you read and follow the information below from Mr. Shawn Haggarty, Superintendent of Elk Island Catholic Schools. In addition please send a clean water bottle and 2 clean masks each day for your child.
Thank-you for your continued support and cooperation as we all look forward to a safe return to school.
Mrs. Cathy Hinger
As you are aware, on January 5th, the Minister of Education confirmed that students are returning to in-class learning Monday, January 10th. We look forward to welcoming students back to classes and are working hard to keep our schools as safe as possible.
To maintain a safe learning environment for students and staff, we kindly ask that you refamiliarize yourself with these necessary protocols:
Stay Home if Feeling Unwell
● All individuals must review the Alberta Health Daily Checklist with their children before sending them to school each day. Students and staff exhibiting any symptoms must remain at home until symptoms resolve. This is the single most important thing each of us can do to
support our schools at this time.
● If your child has any of the core symptoms, you are legally required to isolate. If they test negative on a rapid covid test, they must still stay home and away from others until symptoms resolve.
● For fully vaccinated students and staff (2 doses) who test positive on a
rapid test for COVID-19:
- Isolate for 5 days from the start of symptoms or until they resolve, whichever is longer, if symptoms are not related to a pre-existing condition. For the 5 days following isolation, wear a mask at all times outside of the home.
● For students not fully vaccinated (1 dose or less) who test positive for
covid on a rapid test:
- Isolate for 10 days from the start of symptoms or until they resolve, whichever is longer, if symptoms are not related to a pre-existing condition.
● Additional isolation information can be found here.
Preparing for Shifts to At-Home Learning
In the event we must move a class or grade to temporary remote learning, parents will be immediately notified by the school regarding next steps. Temporary online learning may occur when it isn’t possible to continue in-person learning due to operational viability.
Rapid Test Kits and Masks
The Government of Alberta is providing rapid test kits and medical-grade masks for use by students and staff members. These are expected to start arriving at each of our schools next week. Mask use is required for all K-12 students and staff including when seated in a classroom.
The rapid tests will come in a box of five. Each K -12 student and staff will be given one box at distribution that will provide them with enough tests for 2.5 weeks; a second shipment will follow. It is recommended that Rapid tests be used twice per week, 72 hours apart (e.g. Sunday and Wednesday or Monday and Thursday). Information regarding the Rapid Test Kits can be found in the following links:
Reporting Positive Cases of COVID-19 and Student Illness
To keep our schools as safe as possible, please continue to inform your school if your child has tested positive on COVID-19 test, is exhibiting symptoms or will be staying home from school for any reason. Schools will continue to monitor school absenteeism due to illness.
Alberta Health Services (AHS) has ended the COVID-19 positive case notification process. This means that families no longer receive letters home regarding positive cases.
Additional Health Measures
● Enhanced cleaning protocols will continue.
● All students and staff in grades K - 12 are required to wear a mask in all areas of the school.
● All parents and volunteers are required to screen for any signs or symptoms of COVID-19 using the Alberta Health Daily Checklist, must wear masks while in our schools, and be in compliance with AP 489 -Covid-19 Vaccination Status - Employees and Volunteers.
It is imperative that quality teaching and learning continues to be the focus and sound assessment is a part of quality teaching and learning.
Thank you for your continued understanding and cooperation. Please watch for further school specific information in your regular weekly communication and also on the eics.ab.ca divisional website.
WE ARE AN APPLE SCHOOL! FOCUS THIS MONTH: MINDFULNESS
School Council/Parent Association
Join us for our next School Council Meet on Monday, January 17, 2022 @ 6:30pm using this Google Meet link.
A great way to stay informed and connected with our school community!
ST. LUKE CHILDCARE
NOTE: Grade 5 - 8 Reynolds Museum trip has been postponed.
Monday, January 10:
Grade 6 DARE Begins
Tuesday, January 11:
9:00am: Praise and Worship Grade 2 Virtual Link
Elder Doreen viritual visits 1:50 K-4 and 5-8 2:20
Boys Basketball Practice 3:00 - 4:30
Wednesday, January 12:
Girls Basketball Practice 3:00 - 4:30
Thursday, January 13:
Boys Basketball Practice 3:00 - 4:30
Friday, January 14:
Girls Basketball Practice at Noon
Boys/Girls Basketball Tournament (Friday and Saturday)
OLPH (Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish)
Masses at OLPH will be livestreamed. Please join using this link. https://www.facebook.com/olphsherwoodpark/videos/
Visit OLPH Website for more information about the parish and in regards to sacremental preparation.
St. Francis of Assisi Parish is administered by Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Sherwood Park. Please contact the parish for confession times and more information.
Clergy: Reverend Jim Corrigan, Pastor
Mass Time: Sunday 11:00
Email Address: StFrancisAssisi.Tofield(at)caedm.ca
5523 - 50 Street Tofield, AB T0B 4J0
See map: Google MapsPhone: 780-467-5470