La Salle Family Update (7-12)
November 20, 2022
Day of Remembrance Ceremony at Cataraqui Cemetery
Dear Parents(s) & Guardian(s).
Last week, we passed the halfway mark of Term 1 for Intermediate students and the halfway point of the first semester for Secondary students.
As a school, students observed Remembrance Day in their classes by viewing a video including music from our Adult Music Program, interviews from students and historical clips. The Intermediate students also participated in listening to 'In Flanders's Field' which was presented by Mrs. Bacon's class. We are grateful to Mrs. Bacon, Mr. Evans, Mr. Hills and Mrs. Rymal for putting this altogether for our school. A special thank you to our Gr. 12 student, Griffin Mattes who took the lead in interviewing students.
A group of Intermediate students also travelled to the Catarqui Cemetery with Mrs. Davis and Mrs. Gibson on November 10th for the Day of Remembrance Ceremony.
Have a great week!
Mr. Pickering, Mr. Payne, Ms. Sousa & the La Salle Team
Grade 9-12 Art Masterpieces
November is Indigenous Education Month and Hindu Heritage Month
THIS WEEK: BULLYING AWARENESS & PREVENTION WEEK
- November 24th - Pink Shirt Day
- November 25th - PA Day
- November 29th - Grades 7-12 Picture Retake Day
- December 2nd - KFL&A Jingle Bell Run (Gr. 7 & 8)
- December 9th - Gr 9 and Gr 10 students will have a ‘catch up’ Immunization Clinic
- December 20th - Mrs. Bacon's class to the Schools Museum
- December 21st - Mr. Olmstead and Mrs. Roth's classes to the Schools Museum
Congratulations to the Jr. Girls Basketball KASSAA Silver Medal Champions!
Weekly Opportunities for Indigenous Students
Members of the Kingston Indigenous Language Nest, along with members of the LDSB Indigenous Education team will be undertaking the moose hide cleaning project over the coming week. Interested students are encouraged to visit the back courtyard to be part of this experience.
We remind everyone that we welcome members to join us at each meeting. Our next one is February 21st at 6:30 p.m.
Newly elected council for 2022/23:
Chairs: Stephanie Saunders
Secretary: Stephanie Gratto
Indigenous Rep: to be filled
PIC Rep: to be filled
Much appreciation to this team for their volunteer time in supporting our school!
LA SALLE ATHLETICS FUNDRAISER
Please consider buying gift cards through our program that supports your family’s LSS sports/trip fees AND supports LSS Athletics. See the school website under Secondary Athletics for details.
Gift Cards for the Holidays
Buying gift cards for your holiday gift purchases? If you buy them through La Salle's Fundscrip program, a $50 purchase gives you
a $50 giftcard – plus, for no cost - you build a rebate fund. The fund is split 80% to your family's La Salle Secondary School fees (for athletics or
school trips) and 20% benefits La Salle Athletics. If desired, it is possible to direct the fund to the La Salle library. See the
school website under Secondary>Athletics for details.
Free Virtual Tutoring
Limestone Tutoring Resources: As part of the Ministry of Education Tutoring Grant, LDSB is offering an afterschool drop-in Virtual Tutoring Program for Limestone students in Grades 1 to 10. Tutoring will be available through MS Teams from 4:00 to 6:00 pm on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from October 11 until December 15, 2022.
Guidelines for Virtual Tutoring for Limestone Students
- The student must be logged in to MS Teams using their Limestone account. The student’s camera and microphone should be on so that the student and tutor can communicate more effectively.
- The student should have the materials that they need with them. The student should try to set up in an area in the home with minimal distractions for the tutoring session.
- There are four tutors available for each grade group each night and students can join a tutoring session by clicking on any of the four links for their grade. Students must only use the links for their grade level.
- If a tutor is already working with a student, subsequent students will be placed in the lobby of the meeting and then be admitted on a first-come, first-served basis once the tutoring session for the previous student is completed. Tutoring sessions will be 15 minutes long and may be extended if no other students are waiting.
Links for MS Teams Virtual Tutoring
Grade 7 to 10 Homework Help