Carbon Monoxide

By: Kenzie Langstraat

What is it? How do I prevent it?

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is an odorless gas that is created when fossil fuels are burned. CO can cause health problems or even kill you. There are many ways to prevent CO poisoning in your home. One of these ways is installing Carbon Monoxide detectors. CO detectors keep you and your family safer. These alarms can detect Carbon Monoxide in your house before you can, because it has no smell or color. Also, never leave your car running in the garage. The carbon monoxide can go into your house or into your garage, and endanger the people inside.

How Does it Affect My Health?

Carbon Monoxide Affects Everyone

At least 400 Americans die each year from CO poisoning alone that are not linked to fires. At least 2,000 go to the emergency room, and more than 4,00 are hospitalized from CO poisoning. Most people who are poisoned by CO experience confusion, chest pain, vomiting, weakness, stomachache, headache, and dizziness. If you are asleep, you may not experience any of the symptoms.
Big image

How to be an Advocate

Not many people know that CO can kill you and is poisonous. So, if you see a person potentially creating a risk to their health with CO, then be an advocate for them and stop them. You could be saving their life this way. In the workplace, educate workers about the symptoms of CO poisoning and encourage frequent monitoring in workplaces where there are many possible sources of CO poisoning.