By Darius Hayes
- The black Panthers were founded in 1966, in Oakland California.
- The Black Panther Party was made for self-defense of all African Americans
- When the police were arresting an African American, the Black Panther would stand at legal distance, armed, and watch to make sure there was no brutality going on.
- During the time of the Black Panthers, there was an open gun law in California.
- The Black Panther Party was founded off the ideas of Malcolm X.
As the years went by, the group seemed to be falling apart. As the violence rose, the BPP was always there when needed. The leader of the group was arrested for the murder of an police officer. The second in command was later shot in a police raid on his house along with another party member. After the assassination of MLK, the group was devastated. Huey was later released, and the party soon fell.
- Malcolm X was known for his violence in his protests. The Black Panthers took this idea and incorporated it into their ideas for the self-defense of all African Americans
- After the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr., the group was devastated. But instead of mourning his death, the group organized and held rallies and protests.