Mercury (I) Chloride
By: Cole Collins
chemical name and formula
Formula Hg 2 Cl2
Common names that mercury (I) Chloride has
2. It has mercury and chloride ions in it.
3. The mercury is in its +1 oxidation state.
3 USES OF THE CHEMICAL
2. Decomposes when light is shined on it, it is used to see how many photons are in a light beam.
3. Used in medicinal purposes, but because of it being toxic, no longer used for medicinal purposes.
3 additional facts about Mercury (I) Chloride
2. Used as teething powders in Britain up until 1954, causing widespread mercury poisoning in the form of "Pink Disease", which at the time had a mortality rate of 1 in 10
3. Used in cosmetics as soaps and skin lightening creams, but these and now illegal in many countries, including the US.