May 28th - June 1st
Monday, June 4th
- Dr. Kick's June Birthday Lunch
Tuesday, June 5th
- Ms. Levinson's Kindergarten Class field trip to Dave's Rock Shop
Wednesday, June 6th
- 4th Grade Farewell Lunch
- 2nd Grade Field Trip to Adler Planetarium. All students are required to bring a sack lunch.
Friday, June 8th
- Field Day for 3rd and 4th graders, 10:00-11:10 AM, 12:20-2:15 PM
- Field Day PM kindergarten-4th grade, tug-o-war 1:30-2:15 PM
Thursday, June 14
- Last Day of Attendance for Kindergarteners
Friday, June 15
- Last Day of School, 11:55 am dismissal
- 4th Grade Farewell Party, 3-5 pm
Dr. Kick's Corner
- You need to register you child for the 2018-19 school year! If you have not registered your child by August, you will not receive your child's class placement. Please register your child! http://www.wilmette39.org/for_parents/registration
- The "only one you" rock path is completed! This was an integrated project between art and library. Katherine Robinson received a Gripp Grant for this creative endeavor. You can view this amazing path in the back of the school.
- 2nd grade and 4th grade bike safety went very well! Thank you Sam Wallace! Reminders: students should wear helmets; students should lock bikes; students should comply with bike safety rules (walk bikes on school sidewalks and in crosswalks).
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR BUS REGISTRATION NEXT YEAR
Dear District 39 Families,
This is a reminder that BUS REGISTRATION is open for next year, and must be completed by July 13th for your student to ride the bus on the first day of school. This cutoff allow us to develop the most efficient routes. Late registrations will be subject to a fee - $50 for a one-way and $100 for round trip. Students registering late will only be placed on existing routes and stops when space is available and may not begin to ride the bus until September 17th. Late registrations will be processed in the order they are received. If the bus routes cannot accommodate your child, you will either be placed on a wait list or receive a refund.
The EXPRESS BUS will be back! The express bus provides a direct route between: Central - Highcrest, Central - WJHS, McKenzie - HMS, and McKenzie - WJHS. This allows for the shortest possible ride to school, reduced congestion on the neighborhood streets, and more friends at the bus stop. After you have paid your transportation fee, you can place your child on an EXPRESS BUS route.
If you purchase AM transportation for HMS and/or WJHS, and your child participates in the instrumental music program, you will be able to ride the EARLY MORNING MUSIC BUS. The bus will pick up both HMS and WJHS students on the route and bring all students to WJHS at 7:20. WJHS music students will start their music lessons, and HMS music students will board the HMS Music Shuttle, which will leave WJHS at 7:30 to take them to HMS. WJHS students who have purchased AM transportation, and are participating in one of the music programs will be assigned a bus stop. Parents of HMS students should contact me to be placed on a route after the auditions.
If you think you may have already handled bus registration, please check your REVTRAK account; sign in and click on MY ACCOUNT for your order history.
All of this information can be found on the BUS REGISTRATION PAGE on the District website under the “For Parents” tab.
Wilmette Public School District 39
- Spring Cleaning! The Hoedown committee is seeking new/gently-used stuffed animals (no rips or stains, please) and goody bag-type items for our prize tent. Please place them in the donation bin in the Harper lobby.
- District 39 Educational Foundation - Are you looking for a unique end of year gift for your child's teacher? Purchase a D39 Educational Foundation Teacher Appreciation Award. For $39, your honoree will be recognized on our virtual Wall of Honor and receive a certificate with your special message of thanks. It's perfect from one family, a number of students or a homeroom. Click here to purchase. Please contact Susan Parker email@example.com with any questions.
- Do you have an announcement that should appear in the first Harper Happenings for the 2018-19 school year? Please be sure to submit a communication request form by Monday, August 20th at 9am.
- Attention all PTO Committee Members - Please submit all of your 2017-2018 school year expenses to the treasurer by June 30th. All expense reimbursement requests must include an expense voucher, an invoice and/or receipt, and a signature. If you don’t get your expenses in by the end of June, you will not be reimbursed until the beginning of the 2018-2019 school year.
- Are you interested in being a room parent for next school year at HMS? Please click here and sign up under your child's grade for next year. We will send out an email the night before teacher assignments are sent (mid August) and those who have signed up as "interested" will have 1st pick. Please contact Lisa Herschel at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Attention 4th Grade Parents! The 4th Grade Farewell Lunch is coming up on Wednesday, June 6th during normal lunch hours and the 4th Grade Farewell Party is on Friday, June 15th from 3:00-5:00. Be part of the festivities and sign up here. For questions / concerns please email email@example.com.
LAST CHANCE: SCHOOL KIT ORDERING DEADLINE IS TODAY! Today is your last chance to order a school kit for the 2018/2019 School year. Don't miss out, order your supplies by visiting www.edukitinc.com and typing in Harper to begin your order. Once your order is complete you will receive a confirmation email and your student’s kit will be waiting for them in their classroom on the first day of school. To order for another District 39 school, simply go to www.edukitinc.com and enter the school name to find the supplies for that school. A portion of the sales from each school kit will be donated to the Harper PTO. Questions? Contact Sara O’Hare at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Is your son interested in becoming a Cub Scout? Please join us for an informational meeting on Wednesday, May 30th at 7pm. The meeting will take place at the home of Kara Gillespie, 2019 Lake ave. Open to students incoming Kindergarten- grade 5. This meeting is adults only please. RSVP to email@example.com.
- Yearbooks will be handed out soon! Not sure if you ordered? Go to jostensyearbooks.com. Sign in. Select ORDERS to view history OR call Josten's at 877-767-5217. Please email Debbie Melchiorre at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
- 5/29--Sky Dome program for 3rd Grade
- 5/29 Ms. Hofschield's classes visit Dave's Rock Shop
- 6/5 Ms. Levinson's class visits Dave's Rock Shop
- 6/6--2nd Grade visits Adler Planetarium
- 6/13 Mrs. Kolbe (Full Bloomed Lotus) visits 4th grades about transitioning to Highcrest
Kindergarten Enrichment: Attention Kindergarten Parents, your child will be going on a field trip to Dave's Rock Shop located in Evanston. Dave's Rock Shop features an extension fossil collection dating back over 3 billion years ago. Ms. Hofschield's AM and PM classes will be going on May 29th and Ms. Levinson's AM class will be going on June 5th.
2nd Grade Enrichment: Alder Planetarium Field Trip. On June 6th, the 2nd grade class will be going on a field trip to the Adler Planetarium in Chicago. The buses will depart Harper about 9:15am and will return at about 2:45pm. All children will need to bring a sack lunch.
Thanks for your contributions to iGNITE!
Link to Community News:
Wimette Food Pantry located at Trinity United Methodist Church provides groceries and seasonal produce. Open Tuesdays 10:30-11:30 am.
Wilmette Historical Museum hosts Potawatomi “Dancing for My Tribe” Scavenger Hunt for families with children ages 13 and under June 18-August 5.
Wilmette Baseball Association Summer House League registration is open (K-8) and also Buddy Baseball Summer registration is open (co-ed league for ages 7-19 with physical/developmental disabilities).
Wilmette Wings Soccer Tryouts for boys and girls Kindergarten through high school. May 3rd-26th.
Wilmette Junior Trevians are hosting a week long cheer camp for all 2018-2019 5th-8th grade boys & girls July 16-20.
Oakton Community College offers STEAM related summer programs to children ages 8-12.
The Center for the Gifted offers summer enrichment classes. Students need not be tested or identified as gifted, just eager to learn!
The Junior Trevians Football Organization is hosting Jr. Trevian K-3 grade Flag Football Tournament on June 2nd & 3rd. Each elementary school enters three teams of 10-12 players: K/1st, 2nd & 3rd grade teams. Also need 1-2 parent volunteers from each school. Email Melissa Mastros at email@example.com
Illinois Baseball Academy is registering boys & girls 3-6 years old. Register individually or as a group and form your own team.
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Liz Hayes via the Communication Request Form by Mondays at 9 am. If you do not receive an email response within 24hrs, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your Communication Request Form was received.
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org