Area and Volume
In this topic you will learn about:
- Percentage error
- Area of composite shapes
- Circular shapes
- Simpson's rule
- Volume and surface area of a prism
- Volume and surface area of a cylinder
- Volume and surface area of a sphere
- Volume of pyramids and cones
- Volume and surface area of composite solids
- Error in area and volume calculations
This smore discusses the first eight of these points. The bottom two are applications of the above.
1. Percentage error
Read this explanation of how to calculate the percentage error
2. Composite shapes
You also need to know how to work out:
- Area of a rectangle
- Area of a triangle
- Area of parallelogram
- Area of a rhombus
Don't forget Pythagoras' Theorem. You will use it to solve some of these problems.
3. Circular shapes
- Length of an arc. An arc is a part of the circumference a circle. Its length is a fraction of a circle. There are 360 degrees in a circle.
- Area of a sector. A sector is a region of a circle bounded by an arc and two radii. Its area is a fraction of the circle.
These two formulae can be found on your formula sheet
4. Simpson's Rule
From the HSC Data Sheet:
5. Volume and surface area of a prism
The surface area of a solid is the amount of area that covers all its faces.
6. Volume and Surface Area of a cylinder.
Volume = Area of base (a circle) x Height
The formula for surface area of a cylinder is on the HSC data sheet