Pleasant Street School News
building a community of learners that strive for excellence
FAMILIES WANTED! OUR PARENT/TEACHER ORGANIZATION IS LOOKING FOR MORE PARENTS TO BE INVOLVED IN OUR SCHOOL PTO
We are Readers! Celebrating Growth in First Grade
It has been a fantastic year as students in Mrs. Morin's class have shown wonderful growth as readers! We are excited to be concluding our first full year of implementation of the Readers' Workshop balanced literacy approach. We have gained such momentum during the school year we look forward to continuing your children's love of reading as we kick off an ambitious summer reading and book swap program. Stay tuned for more details to follow soon!!
Please click on the link below for a short video of images of our proud young readers!
Almost missed these exciting adventures of Pete the Cat!
Castle Project: collaborations in art and writing in Mrs. Arpide's second grade
Toy Bingo Night = Happy Prize Winning Children!
There was plenty of happiness for the children and families who made their way out to our PTO sponsored Toy Bingo night this past Friday. All children who participated left with multiple toy prizes. Special thanks to our PTO members: Laura Robinson, Sarah Smith, Becky Lanoue, and Becky Tower Hughes for their dedication to Pleasant Street School and their support of PTO events.
For a short video of images from toy bingo night please click on the link below.
Friday Friends is a way our student council recognizes students in our second lunch period who always do a nice job. Special thanks to Mrs. Casella and Mrs. Robertson our student council advisors for organizing these celebrations.
Our First Harvest!
To see some lovely pictures from our harvest please click on the link below for a short video. Photos are courtesy of preschool teacher Julie Stanley.
Friday, June 5th is Preschool Screening at Pleasant Street
June 5- at Pleasant Street School, 1060 Pleasant St., Athol, 978-249-2405
June 16- at Valuing our Children-217 Walnut Street, Athol, 978-249-8467
All screenings are done by appointment by contacting the desired location above.
What are the goals of Early Childhood Screening?
- To find out how your child is growing and developing.
- To connect parent and child with early childhood programs and other community services that may be needed.
- To answer any parenting questions/concerns you may have.
- Identify any possible health or learning concerns so that they may be addressed.
Please click on the link below for more detailed information.
Math Websites of Interest
We encourage families to explore some of these websites with your children. As always we recommend families monitor children's online activity.
Problem solving decks
Something to trying estimating for each day of the school year!
Problem of the week
Problem of the Month
Thank you to Looney Math consultants (http://looneymathconsulting.com/ )
for compiling mathematical websites of interest for educators, students, and their families!
Community Events & Postings
Do you have news to share or want to inform members of our school community about family friendly events in our area? If, so please email or forward a flyer or link.
Thank you :)
Stories in the Park- starting June 5 at 9:30 am at the Millers Park at the Athol Public Library- Enjoy strolling through the park with your child as you read the pages of a different book each week posted along signs through the park. This free, fun family activity will be continuing through out the summer! Please Click on the link below for more information.
Big Brothers/ Big Sisters Program is enrolling children for the 2015-2016 school year program. They serve children in the Athol/Orange area with transportation provided from Riverbend and Butterfield Schools. Please click on the link below for more information about this program and how you can be involved.
For other local events, happenings, and resources in this area... you can also check the North Quabbin Community Coalition website below:
Upcoming Events...Mark your Calendars!
Upcoming Events and Dates!
- June 1, PTO meeting, 6:00-7:00 pm, school cafe, all are welcome!
- June 1-June 4, spring administration of MAPS assessments
- June 5- District Preschool screening at Pleasant St. School by appointment (preschool will not be held)
- June 8- 4th grade bank teller trip
- June 9, 6 pm, spring concert- at Athol High School
- June 9, second grade field trip to Ecotarium
- June 10, grades 3 & 4 field trip to Legoland
- June 10, Side by Side Animal Adventures program at Pleasant Street from prek-to grades 2
- June 11, Healthy Smiles dental program
- June 16, District prek screening at Valuing our Children location
- June 17- preschool graduation-morning program at 10:00 am & afternoon program at 2:00 pm
- June 18- Field Day
- June 18 – volunteer appreciation breakfast
- June 18-last day of school for preschool
- June 19- K nursery rhythms- 1:30 pm
- June 22- 4th grade step up – 1:30 pm
- June 24- half day- 10:00 am- all school meeting- last day of school! no lunch provided