From the Desk of Sean Dorsey
Issue 5. May 18th, 2018
End of Year Thoughts
We are almost to the finish line of another successful school year for the Sand Creek Zone. As we wind down to the end, I want to say thank you to our staff. I very much appreciate our team’s sacrifice, dedication, and enthusiasm in addressing students’ success. The “Pursuit of Excellence” is not easy. Knowing how much energy goes into preparing for learners each day, it is important to find time this summer to relax, enjoy a break, and spend time with families.
A quick look ahead to the start of next school year…teachers return July 27th and will have a mix of Visible Learning professional development, with Kara and Michael visiting schools, as well as time to get your classroom ready for the first day. At the zone-level, Visible Learning principles will continue to be the focus of our professional learning. We will be creating resources to support the integration of VL practices across our classrooms. I must say that I appreciate staff that has begun to try out some of what we have learned this year via Michael and Kara. We are all in different places in the VL journey. That is to be expected, and okay with me. The effort is what is important.
Our transition day for Kindergarten, 6th and 9th grade students is August 1st with all others attending on August 2nd. The district will host their annual kickoff at Sand Creek High School on August 31st, allowing you extra time to work in building prior to students coming back.
Zone Health and Wellness Expo Success
RES hosts S.T.E.M Night
Renaissance Hosts "A Night of the Stars" for Students
Summer Projects for the Sand Creek Zone
- Sand Creek will have their football field turfed, a refresh in the foyer, new carpeting and new paint.
- Remington has most of their upgrades complete but plans on bringing in community members to do some outside gardening and to address drainage problems near the building
- Evans will be replacing carpet in the main office, the halls and in the library.
- Springs Ranch will get new carpeting throughout the school and will have a new playground installed.
- Horizon will have new lighting and carpeting replaced in all classrooms and they will be installing a new gym floor.
Be sure to check with your building supervisors on when buildings will be closed to staff and what areas will be accessible throughout summer.
Mehki Reese Goes Above and Beyond Expectations
FBLA Headed to Nationals
Sand Creek brought 14 students to the FBLA State Leadership Conference in Vail. 10 students competed in preliminary rounds, with 7 students making it to finals in 5 different events. A huge congratulations goes out to our Colorado FBLA State 1st place Champions Global Business Team: Derrius Rahman, Alanah Gillison, and Nolan Wright! This team will be advancing to Nationals in June. Good Luck!