International Food Court
By : Brittney Luong
Spring Rolls & Vietnam <3
The food I am doing is Spring Rolls, Gỏi cuốn in Vietnamese , it originated from Vietnam. Vietnam is in the Northeastern hemisphere.
The latitude & longitude Hanoi, Vietnam is 21.03 degrees North and 105.85 degrees East. Vietnam is 331,210 square kilometers.
Vietnam has many natural resources including : Phosphates, coal, manganese, rare Earth elements, bauxite, chromate, offshore oil & gas deposits, timber, and hydropower.
Vietnam has natural disasters like flooding and typhoons.
The biggest ethnic groups in Vietnam are Kinh (Viet), 85.7%, Tay 1.9%, Thai 1.8%, Muong 1.5%, Khmer 1.5%, Mong 1.2%, Nung 1.1%, and others 5.3%.
The major cities in Vietnam are Ho Chi Minh City (6.405 million), Hanoi the capital city (2.955 million), Haiphong (925,000), Da Nang (834,000).
Vietnam is a low, flat delta in the south & north. Central highlands; hilly, mountainous in far north and northwest.
Vietnam has currently 93,421,835 people living there, it is the 15th most populated country in the world.
Vietnam is tropical in the south, monsoonal in the north with hot, rainy seasons.
Spring rolls are paper wrapped rolls, filled with meat & veggies dipped in peanut sauce. Fun fact peanut sauce in Vietnamese is called Tương.
This is the recipe for spring rolls :
2 ounces rice vermicelli
8 rice wrappers (8.5 inch diameter)
8 large cooked shrimp - peeled, deveined and cut in half
1 1/3 tablespoons chopped fresh Thai basil
3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 leaves lettuce, chopped
4 teaspoons fish sauce
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons white sugar
1/2 teaspoon garlic chili sauce
3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 teaspoon finely chopped peanuts
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to boil. Boil rice vermicelli 3 to 5 minutes, or until al dente, and drain.
- Fill a large bowl with warm water. Dip one wrapper into the hot water for 1 second to soften. Lay wrapper flat. In a row across the center, place 2 shrimp halves, a handful of vermicelli, basil, mint, cilantro and lettuce, leaving about 2 inches uncovered on each side. Fold uncovered sides inward, then tightly roll the wrapper, beginning at the end with the lettuce. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
3. In a small bowl, mix the fish sauce, water, lime juice, garlic, sugar and chili sauce.
4. In another small bowl, mix the hoisin sauce and peanuts.
5. Serve rolled spring rolls with the fish sauce and hoisin sauce mixtures.
You can find this delicious dish at Sprout's Springrolls & Pho.
It is located at 780 East Road to Six Flags ST, Arlington, Texas 76011. 2 rolls are for $3.99; Special rolls are for $4.99 or $5.99.