Academy of St. Benedict the African
February 19, 2023
Week of February 19, 2023
The video recap of this update is included above. It highlights the main points.
There is no school on Monday in honor of Presidents' Day.
This is a busy week with graduation retake pictures for grades PK4, K, and 8th grade on Wednesday. Thursday is our Black History Celebration at 10 AM. Guests may arrive at 9:30. Thursday from 4-6 pm, our extended day praise dance group has practice for Friday's Archdiocesan African American Heritage Prayer Service. We are working on a bus.
On Friday, our 8th grade and those participating in the Praise Dance will attend the AAHPS at Holy Name Cathedral. This is a beautiful event!
Registration for the 2023-2024 school year continues. Over 100 children are registered, including some new students! Get those seats saved now! The early registration fee is now $50 ($100 is the regular rate). We will continue to offer the $25 Spirit Wear gift certificates until we run out. The fee must be paid to get the gift certificate.
Also, if you refer a new family, you will receive a $300 tuition credit (credited $150 in Dec and May). We will fill up! Use this link: https://forms.gle/mGCqKp9M5YAgxhj48. It's also on the app! Our current third grade has 57% of its class re-registered!
There are class incentives, and I've added them below. For our current 7th graders, there is a special incentive. When the whole class is registered, we will order their Class of 2024 hoodies!
On February 27th, the school will be hosting a meeting to discuss the creation of an Academy of St. Benedict the African Parent Association Club. Please join me at 5 PM in our school library. I'd love your input!
Empower Illinois and Big Shoulders SGO are starting to make awards for the 23-24 school year. Keep an eye on your email if you applied! We will begin sending out contracts for the upcoming school year in late March and April.
Please keep sick children home. We have a shared commitment to the school community to keep everyone well. Physicals are needed if your child is entering K, 2, or 6 or will be playing Flag Football in the fall or basketball in 23-24. Make those appointments now and send the forms in asap!
In the event of inclement weather, any shifts to e-learning or delays in the opening of the school day will be posted on both the school mobile app and Bloomz. We will also post on www.emergencyclosingcenter.com.
Clubs & Games this week:
- Monday- No School - Presidents' Day
- Tuesday-Basketball practice, Fight Like a Girl (grades 4-8) register here, Spanish Club Group 1 3:15-4:00 (full)
- Wednesday - Basketball skills practice from 2:15-3:15
- Thursday - Cooking Club Grades K-3 3:15-4:15. (This session is full)
- Friday - Grade 5/6 Basketball Game at 6:20 PM - arrive at 6 PM
Upcoming important Dates:
- February 20th - No School - President's Day
- February 22nd - Graduation picture retake day
- February 23rd -Black History Program 10 AM. (please note, this is a date change)
- February 24th - African American Heritage Prayer Service - Holy Name Cathedral - All 8th Graders and our after-school Praise Dancers will attend. (praise dancers will attend practice on Thursday the 23rd from 4-6 at the cathedral) More information will be sent.
- February 27th - Parent Meeting to discuss Parent Association 5 pm - Library
- February 28th - Flag Football Practice -Physicals must be in before playing - Grades 5-8 only. The registration form is here. The team is capped at 20 players - 15 play per game.
- March 2nd - Grades 2 & 3 attend Art Across Cultures at the Art Institute of Chicago.
- March 3rd - Remote Learning Day with Free Child Care (all ages) for Parent Teacher Conference day. Sign up here for child care.
- March 7th - Parent Advocacy Meeting to support Tax Credit Scholarships. See the information below.
Let's make this week a great week for learning!
773-776-3316, enter 101 at the voicemail message if needed.
Celebrating Black History
Join Us for This Wonderful Celebration!
The calendar is always accessible on our website and our mobile app.
2022-2023 School Calendar
Water and Masks
We still need masks.
As a reminder, all PAWS must be completed by May 15th
Tuition Payments & Action for Children
It's essential that payments are made as scheduled so that the school can meet its obligations.
March 3rd will be a school exclusion date for families with past due balances who have not made plans with the school to bring the accounts up to date.
Please get in touch with me if you have concerns.
Parent Advocacy Event - -Preservation of Tax Credit Scholarships
Dear Friends at the Academy of St Benedict the African:
As we shared at our Statewide Advocacy meeting yesterday-
We need our best parent voices for the final push to extend tax credit scholarships in April!
For parent leaders of St Sabina, Leo High School, St Ethelreda, St Ailbe, St Phillip Neri, Visitation, Academy of St Benedict, St Francis de Sales High School, Christ the King, St Margaret of Scotland, Our Lady of Guadalupe, and more!
Tuesday, March 7th
6:30 pm to 8:30 pm
Site: St Sabina Academy
7801 S. Throop
Family Handbook - Addendums have been added
UPCOMING IMPORTANT DATES!
- February 17th - No School, NO childcare - PD Day
- February 20th - No School - Presidents' Day
- February 23rd - Black History Celebration Program 10 AM
- February 24th - 8th Grade and Extended Dance to Archdiocesan African American Heritage Prayer Service at Holy Name Cathedral - 9 AM
- February 24th - Spirit Day for grades PK - 7 (those attending service must be in regular uniform)
- February 27th - Meeting to discuss a school Parent Association - 5 PM - School Library.
- March 3rd - Parent-Teacher Conferences 8 AM - 5 PM. Remote learning day with onsite childcare available - registration form: https://forms.gle/t2gGzz9h8e7AX3kB6
School & Office Hours
Arrival for breakfast 7:15 AM - 7:35 AM
Classes Begin: 7:45 AM (Children not in their seats at 7:45 are marked tardy)
School Ends at 2:45 on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. 2:00 PM on Wednesdays
Extended Day: 3:00 PM - 6:00 PM - to reach extended day, call the school and enter 101 at the recording. The late pickup fee is $ 3 per minute per child. Please don't be late.
Office Hours - Every Day - 6:30 - 3:30 and by appointment