Chandler High Wolf Bytes
School of Champions
April 8, 2019
Mrs. Melanie Mello, CHS German Teacher, has been selected as the Southwest Conference on Language Teaching 2019 Teacher of the Year. Mrs. Mello recently competed against twelve other candidates from other Southwestern States in Fort Worth, TX and ultimately was selected as the Southwestern States TOY Representative. Melanie is one of five finalists who will compete for the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages National Teacher of the Year Award this November in Washington, DC.
Aryan Mathur, CHS Sophomore, won an award for his project Design and Development of a low Cost Laundry Folding Machine With Deep Learning Object Detection and Home Network Integration in the Robotics and Intelligent Machines category at the 2019 Arizona Science and Engineering Fair. Congratulations on this very prestigious award!
Congratulations to Decarlos Brooks, Brayden Liebrock, Max Sandlin, and Javan Ah Quin for being recognized by the National Football Foundation for their athletics, academics and community service at this weekend’s awards banquet!
IB LEADERSHIP CONFERENCE
Ten IB juniors attended the Arizona IB Student Leadership Conference at Grand Canyon University this past Saturday. They heard keynote speaker Dr. Heather Cruz, AZ Associate Superintendent for High Academic Standards, and participated in breakout sessions about mindful learning and having a shared vision. The conference concluded with an IB graduate panel with IB alumni from around the state.
last week's WINS
- Girls Tennis def. Queen Creek 6-3
- Baseball def. Liberty (V 7-3, JV 8-6), Sandra Day O’Connor (V 3-2, JV 10-3, Fr 5-3), and Hamilton (V 4-3) (photo credit to Darci Cosgrove)
- Boys Volleyball def. Mesa, Boulder Creek (V 3-0), Basha (V 3-0), and Brophy (V 3-0)
- Softball def. Liberty (V 12-2, JV 11-2, F 33-11) and Sandra Day O’Connor (JV 11-3, F 28-5)
THIS WEEK’S HOME EVENTS
- Tues, April 9th: Girls Tennis vs Perry @ 3:30pm; JV Softball vs. Hamilton @ 4pm
- Wed, April 10th: NHS Induction Ceremony for invited students @ 7pm in the CCA
- Thurs, April 11th: Varsity Baseball vs Brophy @ 4pm: JV and Freshman Softball vs. Xavier @ 3:45: Boys Volleyball vs. Perry F/JV @ 4 pm followed by Varsity at 5pm; IB MYP Showcase and Ceremony @ 5:30pm in the CCA
- Fri, April 12th: Varsity Softball vs. Xavier @ 4pm; Fr/JV Baseball vs Brophy @ 4pm; Girls Tennis vs. Maricopa @ 3pm; Beach Volleyball vs. Sunnyside @ 4pm & Highland @ 6pm; Track & Field Hohokam Invitational @ Westwood 10AM
- Sat, April 13th: CHS Car Show from 9am-2pm
APRIL 18TH DANCE CONCERT
PROM INFO AND GUEST REQUESTS
Juniors and seniors, CHS’s Prom is right around the corner! Scottsdale’s OdySea Aquarium is where you’ll want to be on May 4th from 8:00-11:00pm. Tickets are on sale in the bookstore for $60.
Prom guest request passes are now available in the front office and bookstore. Forms must be completed and turned in to Mrs. Templeton’s office no later than 3:30 on Wednesday, May 1st. WE WILL NOT ACCEPT GUEST PASSES TURNED IN AFTER THE DEADLINE. NO EXCEPTIONS. The final approved guest list will be posted on the bookstore window on Thursday, May 2nd. Juniors and seniors planning on bringing a CHS underclassman must complete a guest request form.
SI SE PUEDE COLLEGE INFO SESSION
Attention all boys and girls interested in joining Pom and Cheer, or becoming the school mascot: Tryouts will be held this week (Monday-Friday, April 8th-12th). See Miss Van Norman in room 212 for info.
CHS CAR SHOW
CHS Football - 15th Annual Golf Tournament
CHANDLER’S GOT TALENT
CAREER CENTER PRESENTATIONS
Sign up for upcoming presentations in the notebook outside the CHS College and Career Center if interested:
CGCC 4/10 @ 8:30am
- MCC (final steps for applications) 4/10 @ 9:35am
- ASU Scholarship help 4/11 @ 9:30am
- ASU College Readiness 4/11 @ 10:30am
- ASU Junior Presentation 4/16 @ 8:00am
- Cyber Security Presentation 4/18 @ 8:45am
ALCOHOL AWARENESS PRESENTATION
MCC SPANISH INFORMATION NIGHTS
ATTN: SENIOR PARENTS/GUARDIANS
The big day is coming on May 29th….Your senior will be graduating very soon!
There are several important dates for you to remember as follows:
1) JOSTENS – Caps & Gowns and Announcements: Jostens is our provider for caps and gowns, graduation announcements, senior rings and more. If you have not ordered, please do so at www.jostens.com or call 1-800-JOSTENS. The final online cutoff date is April 12, 2019. It is a requirement for your senior to wear a cap and gown unit to participate in the graduation ceremony.
Please mark your calendar for these key dates:
- April 5, 2019 - Jostens will be delivering Pre-Ordered Graduation Announcements & Accessories and also will be accepting Cap and Gown orders in the Courtyard during A & B lunch.
- April 12, 2019 - Final online Cap & Gown order deadline
- May 28, 2019 - Cap and gown delivery after 1st Practice in the Old Gym
Questions? Call Jostens at 1-800-JOSTENS.
2) Handicapped & Multi-Generational Seating – Reservations May 1st – May 15th
Starting May 1st we will be accepting reservations for handicapped and multi-generational seating for the graduation until May 15th. Seating is VERY limited so please make your reservations as soon as possible as it fills up quickly and may be full before May 15th. Also, to obtain access to the field for handicapped seating, you must have a field pass. Please contact Mrs. Baum for handicapped seating and Mrs. Claudio for multi-generational seating at 480-812-7700.
3) Handicapped Parking
Handicapped parking is VERY limited so be sure to arrive early. You must have a placard displayed to receive access to the handicapped parking. If you are unable to park in handicapped parking, we will have a shuttle service available.
4) Graduation Information Booklet
Just before Spring Break, a Graduation Information Booklet was mailed home. It includes all the important information you need to know about graduation, mandatory graduation practices, senior check out requirements and the commencement exercises. This booklet is also posted on the Chandler High School website.
PATHWAY TO GRADUATION
Please note the NEW DATE of April 22nd for the Senior Class Graduation Meeting at 7:50am at the CCA in the Main Stage Auditorium.