Volume 3, Issue 34 - April 4, 2021
A Message from Dr. Lowry
I hope that the long weekend has been fun and relaxing for you all so far. We will enjoy another day off tomorrow, and then we will look forward to school starting back up on Tuesday.
As a reminder, Tuesday is our first STAAR testing day for this school year. Our 7th grade students will all be on campus to take their Writing STAAR. After testing and lunch, they will follow their regular schedule for 6th, 7th, and 8th periods. If you have a KVA student, you are welcome to come check them out after testing.
6th grade students will have their instructional day as usual on Tuesday. If you are a 6th grade face-to-face learner, you will be on campus on Tuesday following your regular schedule. If you are a 6th grade KVA student, you will follow your regular schedule online.
8th grade students on Tuesday will be Intermittant School-to-Home learners, which means they will have asynchronous online instruction from home. Be sure to check in with each of your classes as your teachers will have posted instructions and work for you through Canvas. However, you don't need to follow your schedule in order or according to the bell schedule.
Our week may be short, but will be packed with activities as we wrap up the 5th Six Weeks. Be sure to check out all of the information below to stay informed!
Dr. Andrew Lowry
WoodCreek Junior High
This Week in Timberwolf Nation
National School Library Week
National Assistant Principals Week
Monday, April 5
- Student and Teacher Holiday
Tuesday, April 6
- 7th Grade STAAR Writing Test
Wednesday, April 7
- Girls Soccer vs Katy JH at KHS
- WCJH PTA Spirit Day/Night at Crafted Kitchen and Taps
Thursday, April 8
- Boys Soccer vs Katy JH at KHS
- Cheer Tryout Clinic
- WCJH PTA Spirit Day/Night at Crafted Kitchen and Taps
Friday, April 9
- End of 5th Six Weeks
- Thespian Society Inductions
2021 STAAR Testing Schedule
SPIRIT NIGHT APRIL 7TH & 8TH
Congratulations to our Orchestra & Band Departments!
All our bands earned straight ones and sweepstakes trophies. All orchestras also earned straight ones in both concert and sight reading!
These are the highest scores and placements you can receive at UIL. Congratulations to all!
Student Item Drop-Offs Resume
- Ring the call bell, show your ID, and tell Ms. Barton, our receptionist, that you are here to drop off something for your student. She will admit you into the entry vestibule.
- As you enter, to your left you'll see a large, 12-cubby fixture where you will leave your item(s).
- Please note that there is a column for each grade level. Please leave your item(s) in one of the 4 cubbies for your student's grade level.
- Notify your student by text or e-mail that they need to come to the front office to pick up what you have left.
- Students may only pick up items during passing periods or during their lunch period. Students will not be allowed to leave class to pick up items.
Messages and Delivery of Items to Students In an effort to avoid unnecessary classroom disruptions, messages, materials and acknowledgements (such as balloons and flowers) will not be delivered to students while they are at school. Messages will be delivered to students in class only in cases of emergency and with the approval of the grade-level principal. Parents who feel they must speak to a student during the school day are requested to go to a principal’s office.
- We are not able to receive items from third-party deliverers (restaurants, Door Dash, etc.) Items must be brought directly by a parent or other friend/family member.
We are excited to again be able to receive items for your students! If you have any questions, please send them to MeredithBollich@katyisd.org.
From the Clinic - Information for Incoming 7th Graders
Please contact the clinic at 281-234-0825 with any questions.
• Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis (Tdap): Tdap is required for all students entering 7th grade if at least 5 years has lapsed since the last dose of a tetanus containing vaccine (DTap, DPT, DT). If 5 years have not elapsed since the last dose of a tetanus containing vaccine at entry into 7th grade, then this dose will become due as soon as the 5 year interval has passed. Td is acceptable if Tdap is medically contraindicated.
• Meningococcal Vaccine: One dose is required for all students entering 7th grade.
• Varicella Vaccine (chickenpox): Two doses are required, with the first on or after the first birthday and the second dose prior to entry in the 7th grade (unless a parent or physician statement of disease is on file).
Readopoly Reading Challenge
- Readopoly begins January 11th and Ends April 27, 2021. ONLY BOOKS COMPLETED WITHIN THIS TIME WILL COUNT.
- Pick Up a board from the library or you can print one at home.
- Complete the challenge by reading books identified in the spaces of the game board.
- Every time you complete a section of 10, record the title on the space provided and show the library staff to receive your prize. (10-lunch with friend or poster, 20-pick your prize, 30-free ID/Lanyard, 39-Meal voucher to a fast food restaurant).
- Students may bring their boards to the library or email a photo to firstname.lastname@example.org * KVA students can pick up their prizes from 9:30-3:00pm on Fridays (call the library with your name and we will bring out the prize to your vehicle.
- If you read 39 books your name will be entered into the Grand Prize Drawing. Two winners will be drawn for $25.00 dollars, worth of Amazon books.
The books will be student choice but must meet the Katy ISD book selection policy.
Library Checkout Procedure
Please click here for our library procedures to check out library books.
Please keep in mind, these procedures may change depending on the needs of the school or due to a change in guidance from Katy ISD.
From the WCJH Counseling Team
Would you like to learn more about the WoodCreek Junior High counseling team? Are you interested in hearing more about the services our counseling department has to offer? Would you like to discover some helpful parenting resources? If you answered yes to any of these questions, you should visit the WCJH Counselor Website by clicking this link or on the picture below: https://woodcreekcounselor.weebly.com/
Face to Face Student Health Protocols
All students should complete a daily self-screening for symptoms prior to arriving to school or boarding a school bus.
- All students are provided daily guidance on proper hand hygiene, respiratory etiquette and social distancing.
- All students are required to wear a facial covering upon arrival to school and dismissal, when riding a bus, in hallways, common areas and in classrooms.
- All facial coverings should cover the nose and mouth.
- All students must be up to date with state require immunization compliance.
- All students are provided sanitizing wipes to clean work space before classroom instruction begins.
- All students are encouraged to use hand sanitizer before classroom instruction begins and ends.
- All students are seated with as much separation as feasible during the instructional day.
Contact Emails for Smart Restart Questions
Be sure to visit the Katy ISD Smart Restart page often, as the district updates it frequently with the latest information about KVA, In-Person school, Athletics, Fine Arts, Safety Protocols, links to newsletters and more.
Katy Virtual Academy Questions
Special Education Questions
Free and Reduced Lunch Application
Due to the impact of COVID-19, Katy ISD is providing a free breakfast and lunch to all students through the end of June. However, since the free meal waiver for all students expires on June 30, we want to make sure that students who were eligible for free and reduced meals last school year continue to receive free meals as we continue into the start of the new school year. Student meal eligibility also contributes to additional funding for your child’s campus and the district.
The Free & Reduced Lunch application can be completed in your student’s SchoolCafe account here.
The PTA plays a vital role in our school - by sponsoring many of our important and fun activities and by supporting our teachers, staff, and students! Even in the midst of the changes we have this year on campus, we rely on our PTA for many things.
Don't miss out on any of it - click here to join the WoodCreek Junior High PTA!
Sign up for Important Updates - Join Remind
Join our remind groups for important text updates.
Mission Statement: WoodCreek Junior High, in partnership with the community, parents, and students, will provide a safe, positive, engaging learning environment that is devoted to empowering each student to become a productive, responsible, respectful citizen while achieving academic excellence.
WCJH Administrative Team
Dr. Andrew Lowry Principal
Tim Chesser Assistant Principal - Student Support
Lauren Merriman Assistant Principal - 6th grade and 8th grade M-Z
Stephanie McDonald Assistant Principal - 7th grade and 8th grade A-L
Jodi Slaughter Counselor - 8th Grade
Brittany Waddell Counselor - 7th Grade
Jessie Clay Counselor - 6th Grade