Modern Time Slavery
Joseph Kony leader
Slaves today range from around 21 million to 29 million
Modern slavery is a multi-billion dollar industry with estimates of up to $35 billion generated annually. In Total estimates that roughly 27 to 30 million individuals are currently caught in the slave trade industry. The Global Slavery Index 2013 states that 10 nations account for 76 per cent of the world's enslaved. India has the most slaves of any country, at 14 million (over 1% of the population). China has the second-largest number with 2.9 million slaves, followed by Pakistan with 2.1 million, Nigeria with 701,000, Ethiopia with 651,000, Russia with 516,000, Thailand with 473,000, Congo with 462,000, Myanmar with 384,000, and Bangladesh with 343,000,
Mauritania was the last nation to officially abolish slavery, doing so in 2007; yet 4.3% of the population still remains enslaved.Despite being illegal in every nation; slavery is still prevalent in many forms today.
Children labor work
No So Fun Facts
- There are an estimated 20.9 million people that are victims of forced labor.
- There are more people in slavery today than at any other time in history.
- It is difficult to know an exact number of people enslaved, as victims are often hidden. Whether they be locked in a house or business, or hidden in plain view, “disguised” as farm workers, prostitutes, or house keepers, modern day slaves are not always easy to identify.
- Every 30 seconds, another person becomes a victim of human trafficking.
- Learn more about human trafficking
- Every time you watch XXX you are supporting slavery and some are under aged that are trained to look older