Life on the Oregon Trail

Journal Entries by Chirag Holeoglashplat

April 28th, 1824

After three easy days of traveling, we came upon a small river that we needed to cross. Our guide found a calm patch of water that looked not too deep, and not too fast flowing. There was also a ferry that could take us across the river with no risk of dying or losing all of our supplies. Since I am the leader of the wagon train, I need to help my group, and if I died our wagon train would be in disarray. I coughed up twenty five dollars and safely crossed the river. The only person that decided to ford the river was Shiniqua Bonquiqu. His family crossed the river safely and we kept moving along.

The next day, we decided to hunt. I used my pistol and my one box of ammunition. I ended up with 15 pounds of fresh meat, but my pistol broke. I was so excited after I hit something, I dropped my gun on a rock and the cocking hammer broke off, making it useless. Now I have no ammo and one rifle. I also had to throw my grandma's antique dishes, to make room for my meat. But overall, a good first few days.

June 3rd, 1824

Today we made it to our second river crossing. It was a very deep river, but it looked relatively calm. I only have $175 dollars. I didn't want to spend all my money, because I will need some if I make it to Oregon. But, I don't want to be too cautious, because I don't want to drown. Nevertheless, I chanced it and decided to ford the river. I made it, but my blanket and seeds fell over board. I only bought those two products for $10 so it was worth the time.

Today, the first member of our wagon train perished. Jim Baker was riding on his wagon when one of his oxen tripped and he fell off. He was squashed by the wheel, and he went into immediate shock. He couldn't be helped so we left him for the crows. It has been a rough day for the Baker Family. RIP: Jim Baker

August 30th, 1854

Today is Apple's birthday. To celebrate, we opened our barrel of gunpowder and lit some explosions to celebrate. But then, we had to keep on the trail. As we were walking along, a Native American walked up to us and demanded that we stopped. He said that we were disturbing the peace on the trail and his ancient ancestors were not pleased. He forewarned that bad things would happen if we continued on the trail. I made that final decision that we don't have time to turn back so we need to continue.

Yesterday, we were running to low on water, so we stopped at a stagnant pool of water to drink. I was wary of the water, but my wife Cranial, was very thirsty. We cleaned it as best as possible to rid of any diseases. Apparently we didn't do a good enough job because She came down with a case of Cholera. She was not able to make it and she passed yesterday. I miss you Cranial. RIP

November 7th, 1854

We made it! The last few days were very hectic. We came upon a mountain pass that was the biggest we had ever seen. We were faced with the biggest decision of our lives. We could go it and try to beat out the snow or we could send scouts ahead to see if there was snow, but we would waste valuable time. We could also set up camp were we were, or our last option was going back to the last trading post to spend the winter. Since I was feeling it, I made the final decision to run for it.

We barely made it. I just learned today that a massive blizzard closed the past for the winter today. Only one other group made it, about 5 hours after us. The other two groups that we had communicated with on the trail didn't make it. Today was our rest day, but tomorrow we start to build my bakery. I am very proud of my kids for pushing through the difficulties of the trail. My life looks it will become prosperous in the future.