Athens High School
SENIOR NEWSLETTER & OPPORTUNITY BULLETIN
PROM SEASON is here! Have FUN, be SAFE!
The school year is winding down, which means prom season is upon is. It's an occasion many of you have been looking forward to throughout your high school years -- to get all dolled up, celebrate the night with dates or friends and make memories that last a lifetime.
Here are a few tips to make sure your night is memorable for all of the right reasons:
- Talk to your parents about your plans.
- Discuss the school’s prom rules with all of your friends and their dates before prom.
- Keep in contact with your parents during prom and after.
- Stay away from locations with alcohol or drugs.
- Don’t let friends change plans for other, last-minute “better” plans.
- Use the buddy system.
- Do not drive in the car with someone who has been using drugs or alcohol.
- Enjoy prom and remember it!
Lords & Ladies Prom
Friday, April 14th, 8pm
300 Church Street Southwest
Mark It Down On Your Calendar
- TUESDAY, APRIL 11th, 1 pm- Panorama picture in the New Gym
- WEDNESDAY, APRIL 12th, 12-4 pm - FAFSA meetings
- SATURDAY, APRIL 15th, - Prom at Huntsville Museum of Art
- WEDNESDAY, APRIL 26th, time TBA- Calhoun "Jumpstart" on campus
- SUNDAY, MAY 7th, 6 pm- Baccalaureate at Athens Middle School
- THURSDAY, MAY 11th, 8 am- Senior Breakfast in AHS Cafeteria
- THURSDAY, MAY 11th, 9:30- 11 am- Senior Awards Day in New Gym
- FRIDAY, MAY 19th, 7 pm- Graduation
Tuesday, April 11th, 1pm
Athens High School- New Gym
Grad Video MAKE-UP Days
Last call for Grad Videos! Make ups will take place on the following:
Wednesday, April 12th- COOP & AP Students
Thursday, April 13th- FOCUS classrooms
DON'T FORGET> YEARBOOK SALES END WEDNESDAY MAY 17TH
Attending Calhoun in the Summer or Fall? Here is some info you may need to know...
SAVE THE DATE
- Spring Preview Night - April 13 at 5:30 pm on Decatur Campus – RSVP www.calhoun.edu/previewnight
- High School Senior Day - April 19 from 8:30 am to 1:30 pm on Huntsville and Decatur Campus – RSVP http://www.calhoun.edu/seniorday
- Summer Registration begins April 3
- Fall Registration begins April 17
Get a jump start on college by taking classes at Calhoun!
- Summer Session Begins May 22
- Delayed Start Begins June 5.
FAST TRACK- Calhoun's Free Summer Learning Program- Watch the video below for more information
**IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES**
FAFSA Individual Meetings
Wednesday, April 12th, 12-4pm
Last chance to meet with Karlton Stephens from the North Alabama Center for Educational Excellence. He will be available to meet with parents and/or students to assist them in filling out the FAFSA. Meetings will take place every thirty minutes from 1 pm- 4 pm. Please try and get both the student and parent FSA ID prior to meeting with him. Directions to do that are listed below. You will need a copy of the student (if they have one) and parent(s) 2015 taxes and W2. If you have any specific questions prior to meeting, please call the NACEE office at 256-350-6478.
DON'T MISS OUT ON THIS VALUABLE OPPORTUNITY!
Please click here to reserve your time.
SUMMER JOB OPPORTUNITY
Spring Preview Days
JUNIORS, take advantage of Spring Preview Days. It is an opportunity for you to not only visit a campus, but also get loads of information on one day! Go to the school's website to sign up to attend.
- University of Alabama in Huntsville- July 22, 2017
All scholarships and special opportunities will be listed here in chronological order.
- The Will Haney Foundation Scholarship will be awarded to two seniors who are planning to attend school to pursue nursing.Scholarships available in the Guidance Department. Applications due to the Guidance Department by Friday, April 14, 2017.
- The Limestone County Farmer's Federation sponsors one $1,000 scholarship. Student, parent, or guardian must be a Limestone County Farmer Federation member. Applicant must have a 2.5 GPA. Scholarships are renewable is applicant maintains a 2.5 GPA or higher. Applications are available in Guidance Department. Deadline is April 14, 2017.
- The Athens-Limestone Education Retirees Association is soliciting applications from high school seniors intending on pursuing a bachelor's degree. They will award two $1,000 scholarships to Athens City and Limestone County Schools. Applications are available in the Guidance Department. Deadline to turn into Mrs. Smith is April 15, 2017.
- The Microsoft disAbility Scholarship is a $5,000 renewable scholarship for high school seniors with disabilities that plan to go to college for a career in the technical industry. Go to http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/diversity/programs/microsoftdisabilityscholarship.aspx to apply. Deadline is April 15, 2017.
- The Athens High School Alumni Association will be awarding two scholarships to Seniors with a 2.0 -3.0 GPA and who will be entering a two or four year or technical school as a full time student in the Fall of 2017. Applications are available in the Guidance Department. Deadline to turn into Mrs. Smith is April 17, 2017.
- Morris, King & Hodge Law are sponsoring three scholarships in the amount of $2,000, $1,200 and $1,000 to students in Alabama. Applications are available at www.mkhlawyers.com/scholarship. Deadline is April 21, 2017.
- The National Contract Management Association- Huntsville Chapter is sponsoring the 2017 Gene Andrezejewski scholarship. Seniors with a 3.0 GPA or higher and and planning to pursue a degree in business are eligible to apply. Go to http://www.ncmahsv.org/scholarships/ to apply. Deadline is April 21, 2017.
- Dawn Corine Allrey Scholarship- Specifically for seniors attending UNA. Scholarships available in the Guidance Department. Applications due to the Guidance Department by Friday, April 21, 2017.
Margie Rose Looney Endowed Scholarship- Specifically for seniors attending UNA pursuing degrees in the College of Business or College of Nursing. Preference will be given to students with a 2.0 GPA or higher and who may not otherwise qualify for financial assistance based upon scholastic merit. Scholarships available in the Guidance Department. Applications due to the Guidance Department by Friday, April 21, 2017.
- The 2017 Annual Youth Scholarship sponsored by Eagles' Nest Ministries Church, Inc. is for seniors with a 3.2 GPA or higher and be active in school, church and the community. Applications are available in the Guidance Department. Deadline is April 21, 2017.
- The 2017 Student-View Scholarship Program is offering $11,000 worth of scholarships to high school seniors who plan to attend a four-year college, community /junior college or career school. No minimum ACT or GPA. Applications are available at www.student-view.com. Deadline is April 22, 2017.
- The Limestone County NAACP Scholarship is open to seniors with a 2.5 GPA or higher. Maximum for each scholarship is $500. Applications are available in the Guidance Department. Deadline is April 22, 2017.
- The Athens City Educators Great Expectations Scholarship is worth $1000 and is renewable for second year for $500. Seniors with a 3.o GPA or higher and a minimum of a 21 on the ACT are eligible to apply. Applications are available in the Guidance Department. Deadline to turn into Mrs. Smith is Friday, April 28, 2017.
- The John Wade Keyes DAR Scholarship program will award 6 scholarships this year. Seniors with a 3.2 GPA or higher are eligible to apply. Applications are available in the Guidance Department. Deadline is April 28, 2017.
- The Aviation Council of Alabama is offering one scholarship valued at $1,500 to a high school senior or current college student who have an interest in, panning to study or are currently pursuing an aviation related degree at a college or university. Applications are available in the Guidance Department. Deadline is April 28, 2017.
- The Southeastern States Pupil Transportation Conference Student Scholarship will be awarded in the amount of $2,500. To qualify, the parent/guardian must have a gross taxable income of less than $75,000 for the past 3 tax years (2014, 2015, 2016) and be an active employee in public school transportation during the past 3 years. The student must have an overall 3.0 GPA and be attending a post-secondary educational institute in the Fall of 2017. Applications are available in the Guidance Department. Deadline is April 28, 2017.
- The Charles "Chuck" Poland Education Scholarship is a $1,000 scholarship available to student who's parent/guardian is an active pupil transportation employee for the past 3 years. The student must have an overall 3.0 GPA and be attending a post-secondary educational institute in the Fall of 2017. Applications are available in the Guidance Department. Deadline is April 28, 2017.
- The Alabama School Transportation Association Conference Greg Ray Memorial Education Scholarship is a $2,000 scholarship available to student who's parent/guardian is an active pupil transportation employee for the past 3 years. The student must have an overall 3.0 GPA and be attending a post-secondary educational institute in the Fall of 2017. Applications are available in the Guidance Department. Deadline is April 28, 2017.
- The Jentzen Caleb Risner Superhero Memorial Scholarship was created to honor the memory of Andrew & Lauren Risner’s son, Jentzen Caleb Risner, who lived on this Earth for only 3.5 days. This scholarship exists to honor Jentzen’s memory and to reward students who have fought through life challenges all the while achieving success in high school. Students who have overcome a serious illness or other type of life challenge are encouraged to apply for this scholarship. Applicants must have a 3. 0 GPA and plan on attending a 2 or 4 year school. Applications are available in the Guidance Department, in Mr. Risner's room. Deadline is May 2, 2017.
- Enter the Suntrust Off To College Scholarship Sweepstakes for a chance to win one of 30 $500 scholarships. You can enter once each drawing period from September 12- May 12, 2017. Enter to win at www.suntrusteducation.com/scholarshipsweepstakes
- The Horatio Alger Career & Technical Scholarship Program will award scholarships to students all over the nation who have financial need and have exhibited integrity and perseverance in overcoming personal adversity. Must be attending a college or technical program in the Fall of 2-17 and be Pell Grant eligible. To apply go to www.application.horatioalger.org. Deadline is June 15, 2017.
OTHER OPPORTUNITIES for 9th -12th GRADES
- The Greater Limestone County Chamber of Commerce developed the Athens-Limestone Youth Leadership Program. Students selected will learn more about team building, community service, health care, local & state government, cultural arts, business & industry, job shadowing, education, and agriculture. Rising 10th & 11th graders can apply. Students are chosen through an application & interview process. Applications are available in the Guidance Department. Deadline is May 1, 2017.
- Have you ever dreamed of becoming a scientist? Make that dream a reality this summer at Duke Summer College. Whether you want to study black holes or the human genome, we have a course for you. For a full list of the classes we are offering this summer, click here.
- The University of Notre Dome Summer Scholars Program will be held on campus June 24- July 8, 2017. 300 Rising high school juniors and seniors will have the opportunity to explore one of 20 diverse fields of study. To find out more information, visit the website at www.precollege.nd.edu.
- The Stanford University Pre-Collegiate Studies offers nine engaging academic programs throughout the summer. To learn more about the programs and how to apply visit https://spcs.stanford.edu/collegecounselor.
- The Talladega College Summer Institute is for entering freshmen and will take place June 19- July 14, 2017. This four week residential program is to prepare entering freshmen for academic success. More information is available in the Guidance Department.
- The Wetland Environmental Learning Projects is hosting the 3rd annual summer camp from June 508, 2017. It is located 10 miles south of Lake Guntersville in the valley of Bi Spring Creek. Students interested in learning more about natural resources and environmental sciences should see Mrs. Smith for more information.
- The Federal Service Language Academy will take place this summer at the University of North Georgia. Students have a choice of learning Arabic, Chinese, Russian, German, Korean, French, Japanese or Portuguese. You will also learn about federal service careers where knowing a critical foreign language and culture is important. This opportunity is available to rising 10th, 11th & 12th grade students. More info is available at http:///ung.edu/global-engagement/fsla/index.php. Deadline is April 1, 2017.
- The 9th Annual Apex Leadership Summit at Ole Miss will be offered June 4-7, June 21-24 and July 9-12, 2017. Current juniors/rising seniors will have the opportunity to experience a program packed with leadership development, team building and sessions in ethics, social responsibility, problem solving and resumes. Cost would be $50. Please see Mrs. Smith if interested. Deadline is April 13, 2017.
- The University of Alabama in Huntsville will host a summer Reading Skills and Speed Reading Program for preschool- high school age students. Call 1-800-964-9974 to register.
NEED A TRANSCRIPT?
All schools that you apply to will require that you send an official transcript which must be sent directly from Athens High School. Most scholarships will require a transcript as well. The Transcript Request Form is located in the Guidance Department or on the AHS Website. Turn the form into Mrs. LL Smith (outside the door) or Ms. Ramona Malone.
Please allow ample time for the transcript to be processed.
NEED A RECOMMENDATION?
- Look at the recommendation criteria. It will be specific in who the recommendation can come from.
- Choose someone with whom you've had a positive relationship.
- Provide them with a resume, what or who the recommendation is for, and when you need it completed.
- Let them know if it is to be returned to you or if they are to mail it. If they are to mail it, please provide them with a stamped, addressed envelope.
- Give them ample time to write the recommendation. A month before the deadline is preferable.