Volume 1, Issue 22: February 16, 2018
Please read through the newsletter and let me know if you have any questions! Be sure to take a look at some of the exciting news regarding upcoming open houses & tours for new School of Choice applicants, and our partnership with MSU's GATE program!
*I will not be making a newsletter for our short week next week.
-Ms. Kate Martin
Pictures of the Week
Poetic Devices Scavenger Hunt
Gabe and Wyatt search for poetic devices in their poetry packet.
3D Jump Rope for Heart
Students watch the 3D video about being healthy. Watch it here!
Mentoring Mathematical Minds
Aly clearly explains her thoughts about equivalent fractions using words, models and equations.
3D Jump Rope for Heart
3 Branches of Government
Students make a poster of the separation of powers & checks and balances.
The students had a great spread of snacks!
Valentine Cupcake Decorations
The students decorated the tasty cupcakes! Yum!
Displaying Our Fantastic Work!
- Sources of Energy
- 3 Branches of Government
- Reflection on Community Service
- Nonfiction Books
Writing & Reading: We began our poetry unit! We will continue to have MAP reteach/acceleration groups for reading on Fridays.
Math: Purple: Continuing algebra/word problems unit. Blue: Began our fractions unit. Orange: We continued our unit on Multiplying and dividing fractions/mixed numbers.
Social Studies: We continued our government unit!
Enrichment: We created and shared our summary of learning from our visit to the senior living center.
Looking Forward to Next Week
- Math: Purple: Finishing algebra unit. Blue: Continuing fraction unit! Orange: We will continue our unit on Multiplying and dividing fractions/mixed numbers.
- Reading/Writing: We will continue our poetry unit!
- Social Studies: We will continue our unit on the government.
- Enrichment: We will update our Weebly Online Portfolios and start our 4th enrichment project.
You will also receive another copy of the MAP report from the winter test. You have already received this from me - there is no new information.
Self-Reflective Learning: Dealing with Emotional Intensity
This week we discussed what emotional intensity is and how we can deal with it. What we realized was:
- Sometimes we have extremes in our emotions.
- We can help handle these swings in emotions by recognizing our emotion and taking 5 big breaths to help us calm down. This can help us better cope with and understand why we are feeling this way.
- We can stop and put the situation into perspective.
3 Compliment/Day Challenge!
GT Open House for School of Choice & Tours
There are also opportunities for interested school of choice families to tour Woodland. The dates and times are:
Tuesday, February 27 9:00-9:45
Thursday, March 1 1:30-2:15
Tuesday, March 13 9:00-9:45
Thursday, March 15 1:30-2:15
Interested families should contact Hillary Olance at email@example.com. Feel free to share this information to interested contacts you may have!
EXCITING NEWS! Avondale Partners with MSU's GATE Program!
Kindergarten Round Up
A late work policy will begin January 8th for my classroom. Students will receive -%5 off for each day any homework or project is turned in more than a day late. This means students will get a 1 day grace period. For example: If a project was due on Tuesday but was turned in on Thursday, it would be -5% off of the grade they earned. Keep in mind, absences a different situation. Students receive one day extra time for each day they are absent.
Lansing Field Trip
The Lansing Field Trip is scheduled for Friday, April 13. All 3/4 GT students will attend this field trip with the rest of the Woodland 4th graders.
We will be visiting the Impressions 5 Science Center in the morning and our Capitol Tours are in the afternoon. We will be leaving Lansing by 4pm.
More information and logistics to come.
-Independent Reading: Minimum 20 minutes
-Literature Circles: Reading and "job"
-www.learnzillion.com: Assignments on Google Classroom
-Daily math homework M-Th
- Please check your child's agenda nightly by initialing under "Parent Signature". I will also initial it in the morning to confirm they have written the correct information down.
- Friday Folders: They were sent home today! Please take out all the sheets and return the folder MONDAY.
- Bagel Sales! Pre-Order on Wednesdays of each week. All varieties cost $1, cash only. Bagels are delivered on Fridays.
- Order online at www.scholastic.com and use our class code R3CHK if you need books!
Content Relevant Videos
Upcoming Important Dates
2/21-2/23 Mid-Winter Break - No School
3/1 Kindergarten Round-Up
2/21 Chuck-E-Cheese Night 4-9pm
3/2 STEM Career Day (rescheduled)
3/8 1/2 Day
3/9 1/2 Day
3/12 Spring Picture Day
3/13 PTO Meeting @7pm
3/22 Parent Teacher Conferences by Appointment Only
3/24 Spring Fair 5-8pm
3/30 Good Friday - No School
4/2-4/6 Spring Break - No School
4/11 1/2 Day
4/12 School of Choice GT Open House 6-7:30pm at Woodland
4/13 Lansing Field Trip (All 4th Grade/GT Students)
5/11 1/2 Day
5/28 Memorial Day - No School
6/14 1/2 Day
6/15 1/2 Day - Last Day of School