Evergreen Middle School - March 19, 2021
A Message From Mr. Syron Regarding Sports:
When we started the discussion to bring back middle school sports we were focused on giving kids an opportunity for the extra-curricular aspect of school and all the positive outcomes that come with sports. Initially, we didn’t think we would be able to hold competitions and thought the programs would be more like intramurals within each school. As protocols relaxed, we started a conversation to bring back competitions between schools which is where we stand today.
All this to say: We are issuing uniforms to athletes and are asking parents/guardians to pay a $10 uniform fee to help with the cleaning and maintenance of our uniforms through each season. You can send the $10 with your student anytime and they can turn that money into the office. (For upcoming sports, when students complete the paperwork and turn it into the office, we would ask for the $10 to be turned in at that time.)
If the uniform fee causes a hardship for your family, please reach out to me 558-3717 or Heather Crooks at 558-3701 and we will come up with a solution. This fee should not deter any student from participating in any sport we offer this spring.
Get Your Bats, Racquets & Running Shoes READY!!!
We want to give a couple resources that might benefit your student(s) this spring or summer if you are a family that qualifies for free/reduced lunch.
First, Valleyfest has a grant program they run each year, and I just learned there are grants available for this spring and summer. Please see flyer below. If your student would like to attend a camp or take a class related to art, science, math, music or sports OR needs equipment for home related to these experiences, we can apply for this grant. If approved, Valleyfest will pay up to $200 directly to the organization or vendor involved. For instance, last year a few students went to the basketball camp at the HUB or a youth summer camp at their church with funding from the grant.
If you are interested or would like more information, please email or call Mrs. Nootenboom. As their school counselor, I have to be the one to fill out the grant application but it is pretty simple. If you have a student at another CVSD school, let me know and I can contact the counselor at that school.
Valleyfest Grant Program
YMCA Financial Assistance
The YMCA offers a fee reduction for up to 35% for qualifying low income families. Follow this link to fill out a quick application (2021 Childcare & Financial Assistance Application) and see if you qualify. This can be used to reduce monthly fees or for a reduction in summer camp fees.
SVT Summer Classes
Finally, SVT is offering 5 different courses this summer in a three week program (June 22-July 9) where students can earn a .5 CTE high school credit!! Check it out here. Only for current 8th grade students – must be going into 9th grade in the fall. You do not have to be an SVT student (this is for students going to any CVSD high school next year). This program is FREE!
Attention 8th grade Students & Parent/Guardian(s)!!
8th grade students and parent/guardian(s):
There is a lot going on and I have had several phone calls and emails from students, so I wanted to provide some information with dates here so everyone is on the same page regarding 9th grade student registration for the class of 2025. . . that’s you 8th graders!
- In preparation for your upcoming registration, all 8th graders have had Career Lessons in Xello, information on HS credits and the opportunity to complete a Career Project (some of you will do the project piece in 4th quarter with your ELA teacher). These elements meet your requirement for your High School and Beyond Plan (HSBP) for 8th grade.
- Students, when you log in to Xello (from PowerSchool, upper right corner fly out arrow), you should see that your 3 lessons for 8th grade are 100% complete; Explore Career Matches, Skills and Transition to High School. If they are not complete, they need to be finished before the end of this school year. Email me if you have questions.
- If you have an older sibling already in high school, you may realize they are already registering/selecting classes for next year. This does not affect you or the classes you will be eligible to select when you register.
- Here are dates and events for 9th grade registration (current 8th graders)
- March 23rd and March 24th , 6:00 – 7:00 Q & A Parent Nights via ZOOM (links will be sent out closer to dates)
Parents can ask questions about classes, registration, sports and activities
- March 26th Registration is DUE for 8th graders
This is a really exciting time, and while registration will look different than past years, you will have lots of support and time to ask questions/make decisions. Don’t worry!
If you need information about Spokane Valley Tech or Mica Peak High School, please look to their websites and then call me if your question is not answered. Counselor at SVT is Heather Dresback firstname.lastname@example.org and counselor at Mica Peak is Matt Vansickle email@example.com
Have a great day,
Natalie Nootenboom, M.S.
Counselor // firstname.lastname@example.org
Evergreen Middle School
Get money for meals missed by students at school this school year.
Did your child go to a K-12 school this school year that closed or had reduced hours due to the pandemic? Is your child eligible for free or reduced-price school meals?
Then your child may be eligible for P-EBT this school year. P-EBT is money that can be used to buy food for your children.
Find out if your child is eligible and learn how to get P-EBT:
• Learn more at www.dshs.wa.gov/pebt
• Call the P-EBT Contact Center at 1-833-518-0282 with questions.
If you need this information in another language, please call 1-833-518-0282. This institution is an equal opportunity provider.
Contacts at Evergreen Middle School
- Main Office: 558.3700
- Attendance line: 558.3706 (or email Marci Highley at email@example.com)
- Mike Syron, Principal: firstname.lastname@example.org | 558.3717
- Rachael Crooks, Covid Supervisor/Dean of Students: email@example.com | 558.3714
- Natalie Nootenboom, 6th/8th grade Counselor: firstname.lastname@example.org | 558.3710
- Anna Comella, 7th grade Counselor: email@example.com | 558.3711
- CVSD Help Desk: 509.558.5457
- Heather Crooks, Head Secretary/ASB: firstname.lastname@example.org | 558.3701
- Jessica Trejbal, Registrar: email@example.com | 558.3702
14221 E. 16th Ave. Spokane Valley, WA 99037