CPA Tiger Talk
May 1-5, 2023
CPA is Now Enrolling!
Do you have family members or friends looking for a new school community to join? Great news: CPA is now enrolling for the 2023-2024 school year!
One of the best ways people find our school is by word of mouth--and this contributes to the feeling of community that we value so highly. So please send this link to your friends, family members, and neighbors who would like to be part of a community like CPA!
Ethical Principle of May: Love
Dates to Remember
Thursday May 4: Early Release Day (dismissal at 1pm)
Monday May 8: Board of Directors Meeting, 6pm
Thursday May 18: Spring Concert & Annual Meeting, 6pm
Saturday May 20: CPA Walk/Run at Phalen Lake (see below)
Saturday May 20: 2023 CPA Prom (see below)
Monday May 29: No School Due to Memorial Day
Friday June 2: Last Day of Classes for PreK and 12th Grade Students
Friday June 2: PreK Moving On Ceremony, 9am
Tuesday June 6: Last Day of Classes for Kindergarten Students
Tuesday June 6: Kindergarten Moving On Ceremony
Tuesday June 6: Senior Graduation, 6pm
Wednesday June 7: Last Day of Classes for 1st-11th Grade Students
Apply for Free or Reduced Price Lunch & Other Benefits!
If you haven't already done so, please complete the application as soon as possible. If you prefer a paper copy, please contact the CPA office.
CPA students and staff: are you looking for an easier way to make payments at school? Create a SchoolPay account!
SchoolPay accounts make it easier to process any payments you need to make to the school, athletics department, or cafeteria. Families can complete the application for free and reduced price lunch through School Pay, and families who receive free or reduced price lunch can also print their determination letter, which can be used to receive discounts at museums, MTC, and more!
Visit the CPA website to learn more and get started!
CPA families, please click this link to complete the CPA Family Survey. This survey should take 10-15 minutes to complete.
We are very interested in your opinion about your experience with Community of Peace Academy. If you have more than one child attending CPA, please give answers that reflect your overall experience. Your answers will be confidential. All CPA families that return the survey by May 17 will be entered into a drawing for a chance to win one of ten $25 grocery cards. One entry per family.
Please read each question carefully. We appreciate you taking the time to do the survey.
Help us show appreciation for the CPA staff!
Please take a moment to show your appreciation of CPA staff members who support your children each day by filling out this Staff Praise Form. Thank you!
Spring Concert and Annual Meeting May 18
We will conduct our annual business, elect new members to the Board of Directors, and hear beautiful readings and musical performances from CPA 3rd and 4th graders and high school students. See you there!
Screen Free Week
We know that technology is a necessary part of life. But we also know that overuse of screens can lead to many challenges for kids. In fact, did you know that the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends no more than 2 hours of screens per day for ages 2 and up, including adults?
The CPA Elementary staff is working to minimize screen use during Screen Free Week. What can you do at home to help support your family in decreasing screen time? 🤔
Youth Mental Health First Aid Certification Opportunity
Are you interested in learning ways to provide mental health support to young people in your life? Sign up for Youth Mental Health First Aid certification!
WHEN: Tuesday, May 30th, 9am-5pm*
WHERE: Wellstone Center
WHAT: Youth Mental Health First Aid is designed to teach parents, family members, caregivers, teachers, school staff, peers, neighbors, health and human services workers, and other caring citizens how to help an adolescent (age 12-18) who is experiencing a mental health or addictions challenge or is in crisis. Youth Mental Health First Aid is primarily designed for adults who regularly interact with young people. The course introduces common mental health challenges for youth, reviews typical adolescent development, and teaches a 5-step action plan for how to help young people in both crisis and non-crisis situations. Topics covered include anxiety, depression, substance use, disorders in which psychosis may occur, disruptive behavior disorders (including AD/HD), and eating disorders. See the flyer for more details about the course. Lunch will be provided!
This workshop is sponsored by the Minnesota Department of Education
*Full day participation is required for certification
- Rachel Oberg-Hauser, Minneapolis Youth Coordinating Board
- Julie Richards, Brooklyn Bridge Alliance for Youth
- Jocelyn Wiedow, Sprockets
2023 CPA Prom
This year's prom will take place on Saturday May 20 at CSPS Hall. Tickets cost $40 each and can be purchased during the 11th and 12th grade lunch period from April 17 through April 28.
Contact Ms. Lor (email@example.com) with any questions or to get involved!
The CPA Walk/Run is a fun and free event where CPA families and staff gather for fresh air, physical activity, and fun. The event features a 5K Walk/Run, free food, and door prizes. So mark your calendars and join us for the 2023 CPA Walk/Run!
High School students or adults who would like to volunteer at the Walk/Run can sign up by completing this form. Thank you for your support!
High School Summer School Information
St. Paul Summer Choice Fair May 7
This fun event will take place on Sunday May 7 from 12-3pm at the Conway Community Center (2080 Conway Street, 55119).
Learn more at stpaul.gov/summer-choice today!
Community of Peace Academy is not in charge of or affiliated with this event.
- 30,000ft Summer Camp Available to Kindergarten-3rd grade students, this program is designed to improve literacy through various art activities and projects to earn fun field trips, learn to garden, and make lasting healthy friendships.
- SPPS Summer Learning Programs SPPS PreK-12 Summer Learning Programs help students strengthen academic and social emotional skills, discover new talents, and recover high school credits. All programs are free and include academic support and enrichment, breakfast and lunch, and transportation. Registration is open. The deadline for PRIORITY registration is April 15.
- St. Paul Parks & Recreation Summer Camps & Activities Saint Paul Parks and Recreation offers summer camps and activities at parks and recreation centers throughout the city. Registration opens April 3, but you can visit the website to browse programs anytime.
- SPPS Community Education Summer Camps & Classes Saint Paul Public Schools Community Education offers a variety of programming opportunities, including full day summer camps, aquatics, drivers education, STEM, Arts and Music, Community and Cultural Exploration, and more.
- St. Paul Parks & Recreation Youth Summer Sports Youth summer t-ball, machine pitch, softball, baseball, and lacrosse clinic registration remains open until March 31. Programs are free for age 9 and up. Children age 8 and below will receive a free baseball glove courtesy of the Minnesota Twins.
- Minnesota Institute for Talented Youth MITY is a program designed to provide academic enrichment opportunities to curious and hard working scholars. The program is held at Macalester College and offers need-based scholarships. MITY's highlights include: over 30 unique courses in STEM, Humanities, & Fine Arts; meaningful exposure to post-secondary life; day and residential options; and fast-paced, experiential learning.
Teen Employment Opportunities:
- St. Paul Parks and Recreation Summer Jobs Saint Paul Parks and Recreation has many full and part time positions available at parks, rec centers, pools, golf courses, athletic complexes, Phalen Park Beach, Como Park Zoo & Conservatory and more. Entry level positions are available for ages 15 and up.
- Tree Trust Youth ages 14-21 are able to earn and learn through hands-on experience working on outdoor construction and landscape projects in local parks and green spaces.
MCA Testing Is Underway
MCA testing at CPA is underway. MCA tests are used to measure student proficiency in Reading (grades 3-8 and 10), Math (grades 3-8 and 11), and Science (grades 5, 8, and 10).
MCA testing at CPA will run through Friday May 5. Students will have modified schedules on the days they are testing. See the CPA district calendar for specific test dates for your student. For more detailed information about any of the standardized tests CPA students participate in, please click here.
MCA tests provide valuable information about what our students have learned and what we can do to help them grow. These tests are important to the CPA community, so we ask all families to help support their children by ensuring they are well rested and ready to do their best on testing days. Thank you for your support!
If your family or anyone you know would like support with food resources, below are some options you may find helpful. You can reach out to the CPA Social Work Team for additional resources as needed. Their contact info is below. Thank you!
- Today’s Harvest (Oakdale, MN): https://todaysharvestmn.org
- Indigenous Roots/Sisters Camelot (St. Paul, MN): https://sisterscamelot.org/events/
- Neighborhood House (West St. Paul, MN): https://neighborhoodhousemn.org/programs/food-support/fresh-produce-events/#winter-distro
- Saint Paul Public Schools put together this resource guide as well. Check it out!
CPA’s Social Work Team:
Chelle York, Elementary Social Worker, firstname.lastname@example.org, 651-280-4509
Jenny Littlewolf, Middle School Social Worker, email@example.com, 651-280-4507
Molly Eller, High School Social Worker, firstname.lastname@example.org, 651-280-4553
Weather & Clothing
Every Meal Weekend Meal Bags
If you have any questions or need support, please contact the social work team.
CPA Safety Tip Line
If you prefer, our liaisons will be happy to translate or explain any announcements in Tiger Talk or answer any questions you have about CPA. Contact Maikao Lee at 651-280-4545 (Hmong), Mariana Majil at 651-289-3742 (Spanish), or Paw Nay Bu at 651-280-4591 (Karen) for support.