Muir Woods National Monument
Planning for Improved Visitor Access & Traffic Management
Muir Woods National Monument, CA— The National Park Service, in cooperation with California State Parks and Marin County invites the public to help develop options for better managing visitor demand and congestion at Muir Woods National Monument. Muir Woods, the adjacent parts of Mount Tamalpais State Park and nearby areas in Marin County, experience substantial traffic and parking congestion during periods of peak visitation. The congestion, combined with gaps in the park’s trail and pedestrian circulation systems, routinely result in visitors parking on the unimproved shoulder of Muir Woods Road some distance from the park entry and walking on the narrow busy road. These conditions contribute to poor safety and visitor experience at the entry area to Muir Woods and in the immediate vicinity.
The three agencies would like to actively involve interested parties in the planning process, and will hold a public meeting to solicit input on a range of possible improvements and the issues that should be addressed in the plans and environmental compliance documents that will be prepared. The two projects will be discussed at the upcoming public meeting. One focuses on operational improvements; namely a reservation system for parking with expanded shuttle service. The second focuses on site improvements at Muir Woods. These are separate actions with independent utility; however, both projects are meant to address longstanding transportation and access challenges visitors face at Muir Woods. They differ in their planning and implementation schedules and potential environmental impacts.
You're Invited to Our Scoping Meeting & Comment
Wednesday, Sep. 18th 2013 at 6:30-8:30pm
350 Bell Ln
Mill Valley, CA
YOU ARE INVITED TO SCOPING MEETING AND COMMENT
The public is invited to come to a scoping meeting to meet with staff from all three agencies to discuss and learn and comment on these two projects.
- 6:30 PM—Attendees will be invited to review informational boards that explain the projects
- 6:45 PM—Introductory remarks by Marin County Supervisors Kate Sears and Steve Kinsey, Superintendent of California State Parks—Marin District, Danita Rodriguez, and Superintendent of Golden Gate National Recreation Area, Frank Dean
- 7:00 PM—Presentation of the two projects
- 7:30 PM—Facilitated discussion on the issues, planning process, parking reservation system, site improvements, and potential impacts
- 8:30 PM—Conclude the meeting
Muir Woods Transportation Projects
Written comments will be accepted from September 4 through October 4, 2013, and can be submitted in the following ways:
- In person at the September 18 public meeting;
- Both planning projects are on the National Park Service Planning, Environment, and Public Comment (PEPC) site at http://parkplanning.nps.gov/. Reference the Muir Woods Parking Reservation and Shuttle System and/or Muir Woods Transportation and Access Site Improvements
- Or by mail to:
Golden Gate National Recreation Area
Attn: Muir Woods Transportation Projects
Building 201, Fort Mason
San Francisco, CA 94123
In order to help us manage the comments for each project separately, we ask that you please clearly identify which project you are commenting on within your written comments. All correspondence will be shared with the planning teams for both projects.