Holy Name of Mary, Monday, December 2, 2019
December has arrived and so has the beginning of Advent. It is going to be a busy three weeks, so remember to breathe. When it all gets too crazy, try to take a moment to reflect on the true meaning of Christmas.
We will need to work hard to get our songs ready for Carolling in the Community on the 18th. Jane has volunteered to help me with making up the family groups for carolling, and we will send out the groups and the songs very soon so you can start practising with your classes.
Have a great week!
This week's Shout-Outs:
Thanks to Julie and Liz for their efforts in organizing staff Christmas party and secret Santa.
I would like to thank Shannon, Ron and Andrew for all of their musical talents, especially the help they gave me for my assembly. Pascale also deserves a big thank you for her patience and tech expertise. I think the new saying is "It takes a village to put together an assembly".
Andy, Tanya, Kelly and Amy for completing the costumes for the Christmas parade. This helped us out more than you know.❤️
- Kristine & Mary
I would like to thank everyone at HNOM for being so supportive during the last couple of weeks. I really appreciate all the prayers, positive thoughts, and condolences in regards to Dave's passing. I am so grateful to work with this amazing group of people.
Thank you to Sara H and Nancy for allowing groups of students to walk through their classroom in order to get to the fishbowl so as not to disrupt meetings in the library.
And as usual I have several shout outs:
- Thank you to our teachers and ECEs for working so hard to get Progress Reports out on Monday and for staying late on Tuesday night for interviews. It's a tough way to start a week, and we appreciate the extra effort you all put in.
- Shout out to the Kitchen Elves who are doing such a great job of keeping the staffroom kitchen clean. There have been no dirty dishes in the sink or messes on the counter all year. I don't think I've ever seen that in any staff room anywhere!
- Thank you to Jane, Katie and Shane for helping me to set up for the staff meeting on Friday, and thank you to all the readers who agreed to read for our prayer service. I really appreciate your help!
- Shout out to our volleyball coaches (Steve, Kris, Laura and Sarah E) for putting in so much extra time to work with the kids these past few weeks, both at lunch recess and after school.
A reminder to all staff to please remember to inform the front office of all early dismissals/end of day changes, using the sheet in your attendance folders. Lately it seems that we are experiencing lots of "surprise" visits by parents at the front or we are only calling one child down when we should be calling all 3 in the family.
Please encourage parents to write notes in the agenda for each of their children, as it does make things a lot easier for Megan & Lauren. Thank you!
Great Stuff, Great Staff.
Our first Bake Walk was a huge success! Over 100 items were donated and we raised over $1000 for our Catholic School Council.
I watched Brigitte's class for several minutes right after lunch recess one day last week when she had to move her car to make room for a delivery at the new daycare. As it turns out, I didn't have to do a single thing, as her students can teach the class all by themselves! They have a great routine of doing the calendar and practising their French sounds every day.
I thought Shannon's kids were just having fun making bears last week, but this was actually a cutting and assembling assessment! Shannon had a sample bear made up of several circles. Students had to look at the sample, trace the correct number and size of circles using a template, cut out the circles, assemble and glue the circles together to make a bear.
On Monday, John in Lucie's class brought in a gingerbread house kit for the whole class to make together. Once the class finished decorating the house, they gave it to our amazing secretaries, Lauren and Megan. It stayed intact for the first day, but mysteriously lost most of its candies during parent-teacher interview night.
Lana learning with Lexia.
Bryanna's Baking Club filled the school with the awesome smell of homemade chocolate chip cookies on Thursday. They filled the bellies of our hardworking staff after school when we met to wish Nancy farewell in the staff room.
Andrew's Guitar Club was beginning to learn chords using our school collection of guitars last week. It is challenging to get started, as all the guitars need to be tuned. They were clearly enjoying themselves, as we could hear them strumming all the way down the hall!
Kristine and Brigitte's Seniors Club made snowmen ornaments with the Seniors at Orchardview. Kristine says it was amazing to watch and that not one student was worried about making one for him/herself. The spirit of Christmas is in the air!
We had some great moderation and collaboration in the Library on Friday morning!
Sarah's knitters are really starting to get the hang of knitting! She and her mom have got all the kids working on baby blankets for charity. Some are also working on round looms.
Old School Club
Ron decided to make Advent wreaths out of cedar boughs with his Old School Club this week. It hardly cost any money and the kids had a beautiful wreath to bring home for Advent.
Steve's Seniors Smiling Club worked on brightening up winter for our local seniors. Students were working on drawing beautiful winter scenes which will be laminated to make placemats.
Old School Club
Thank you to our awesome EAs for helping Mary and Kristine to finish up their Christmas tree costumes for the parade on Friday!
The Week Ahead
Monday, December 2, 2019
- Aidan Verk IPRC (mom) at 8:15am
- Michael Callahan IPRC at 8:30am
- Carter Kunopaski IPRC at 8:45am
- Advent Week 1 Assembly at 11:30am (Jane's class)
- Intermediate Meeting at 3:45pm in Caroline's office
Tuesday, December 3, 2019
- Gina away (FLS ANL Training, Christine Provost)
- Kris away (FLS ANL Training, Jennifer Bowler)
- Kablalik/Rintoul meeting re: KK at 8:30am
- Sophie W IPRC at 8:15am
- Emily W IPRC at 8:30am
- Hector N-M IPRC (mom) at 8:45am
- Senior Volleyball Practice at 3:40pm
- Annual Mass, Dinner and Board Meeting in Kemptville at 4:30pm
Wednesday, December 4, 2019
- Nicole Oattes in for testing
- Jillian away (pm only)
- Senior Volleyball Tournament (Girls @ ND, Boys @ SF)
- Hector N-M IPRC (dad) at 8:15am
- Parker B IPRC at 8:30am
- Lilly R IPRC at 8:45am
Thursday, December 5, 2019
- Nicole Oattes in for testing
- Dental screening (JK, SK, Gr. 2) in am (Pascale's office)
- Gina away (FSL ANL Training, Christine Provost)
- Kris away (FSL ANL Training, Marina Rigakis
- Laura away (Jeannie Hendry)
- Samantha D IPRC at 8:15am
- Carter D IPRC at 8:30am
- Ethan B IPRC at 8:45am
- Junior Volleyball Practice at 3:40pm
Friday, December 6, 2019
- Staff Meeting at 8:00am
- Tara Larocque IPRC at 8:15am
- Liam Rathwell IPRC at 8:30am
- Student Council Trivia Challenge 1:30pm - 3:00pm in the gym (Gr. 5-8)