Colerain All Stars Newsletter
Week of November 15th
Colerain's "Spirit Week" Starts This Week!!!
Family Engagement Events This Week
- Colerain Intro to PBIS - Monday, November 15th @ 7p - Please attend this session to learn more about Colerain's PBIS (Positive Behavioral Interventions & Supports) Framework and how it is used to ensure a positive, predictable, safe, and equitable school environment . ZOOM LINK: https://zoom.us/j/93912356119?pwd=ekxhQk0vZEdVSWNFNnRzRERTNTloZz09
- Sensory & Self-Regulation Strategies for Use at Home - Tuesday, November 16th @7p - This session will be presented by Colerain's own Occupational Therapists. ZOOM LINK: https://zoom.us/j/91433584157?pwd=OWNORENIQlM1blVSMHprQmh0ODVZZz09
Third Grade Reading Guarantee Parent Meeting (for 3rd Grade Families) - Wednesday, November 17th @ 6:30 PM - please join us to learn more about Ohio's Third Grade Reading Guarantee, reading improvement plans, how to support your child at home, and third grade testing. ZOOM LINK: https://ccsoh-us.zoom.us/j/84578598525
- Fall Picture Retakes - Tuesday, November 16th
- Lunch Menu - Colerain's Lunch Menu for Nov15th - Dec 10th has been added below.
- Please save and send "egg cartons" to school - These will be used by Mr. Vance's Art Classes. Thanks!!!
- Please consider donating lightly used (or new) sweat/athletic pants (all sizes) to Colerain. These will be provided to our students if they have accidents through out the school day.
- Food Trucks - Unfortunately we cannot offer Colerain Students access when we have food trucks. Students have to either eat the federally provided lunch here or pack lunch from home. However, if a parent wants to get food from the truck and then have lunch with their student,, they are welcome to do so and sit outside (while weather permits).
- JOIN the Colerain Elementary Families Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/groups/450787118284371
Colerain PTA Meeting
Wednesday, November 17th @ 6p
Upcoming Colerain Events
- Parent/Teacher Conferences - Thursday, November 18th - if you haven't had or signed up for a conference yet, please reach out to your student's classroom teacher.
- Asynchronous Days (at home) - Monday, November 22nd & Tuesday, November 23rd
- No School - Wednesday, November 24th - Friday, November 26th (Thanksgiving Break)
Ms. Marawi's 1st Grade Class Tie-Dying T-Shirts!
Staff Highlight - Nikki Ramming
Q: What is your role?
A: School Nurse
Q: What is your responsibility?
A: I help the students (and staff) with their medical needs such as medication administration, diabetes care, tube feedings, airway and respiratory mangagement, care coordination, health screenings and health teaching. Oh and I do some Covid stuff too.
Q: What is one thing you want families to remember/learn about your program/class?
A: This is my 7th year at Colerain. Our school is so unique! I adore how we include everyone in all our activities and promote each student's independence. I love coming to work everyday!
Q: Are there any hobbies, interests, or stories you would like to share?
A: I run, practice yoga and enjoy CrossFit. I have a one-eyed dog named Juniper (she's a Treeing Walker Coonhound). I'm over half way done with my master's of nursing program at Capital University.
PBIS Tier 3
- PBIS Tier 3 is for a FEW students that Tier 1 and Tier 2 supports have not connected.
- Tier 3 addresses sometimes dangerous, often highly disruptive behaviors creating barriers to learning and excluding students from social settings.
- The core practices guiding Tier 3 include Tier 1 and Tier 2 core practices and:
- Conducting function-based assessments to determine “why” a student behaves a certain way
- Implement wraparound supports from teachers, families, friends, etc.
- Analyze cultural and contextual fits such as neighborhood, race, ethnicity, learning history, and language/dialect.
- An example of Tier 3 at Colerain is:
- The completion of a daily Student Behavior Tracking Form
The Columbus Promise
New Initiative Gives Graduating Seniors Full Scholarship to Columbus State Community College!!!
Upcoming District/Community Events
- Ohio's Statewide Family Engagement Center Advisory Council - applications are now open. See flyer below for details - We are seeking a diverse group of parents and caregivers of children birth to Grade 12 from all regions of Ohio. Applications are limited to parents and caregivers who are not professional educators or administrators. We are looking for families that have children currently enrolled in public schools in Ohio.
SST 11 Family Engagement Series "Dyslexia Legislation Updates/ Supports" - Monday, November 15th from 6p - 7p - Register here: https://tinyurl.com/Family-Engagement-Series
- CCS Virtual Family Engagement Sessions - view past sessions and/or register for upcoming sessions here: https://www.ccsoh.us/Page/10849
CCS Facilities Master Plan Details
WE NEED YOUR VOICE! Please consider participating in this effort to re-image what our Columbus City Schools could look like! Colerain is in REGION 4.
Phase 6 (Transform) - Wednesday, December 1st @ 6p at Whetstone High School
We will evaluate the options created in the Phase 5 - Consider workshop. What are the pros and cons of each option? We will break into small groups and evaluate what option makes the most sense for your region. Come be a part of live decision making and consensus building. Please request translation services when registering.
- Register here: tbd
- Ohio Department of Health: https://gettheshot.coronavirus.ohio.gov/
- Columbus Public Health: https://www.columbus.gov/c19vax/
- Children's Hospital: https://www.nationwidechildrens.org/family-resources-education/health-wellness-and-safety-resources/covid-19/vaccine
- Your Pediatrician: call them to see if they are providing vaccines yet
- ***NEW: Ohio Hispanic Coalition - After School Program - see flyer below
- ***NEW: Action for Children - is the local child care resource and referral agency for Central Ohio; serving Columbus and Franklin County.
FREE Legal Help - https://cair-ohio.com/request-legal-help
LSS 211- CONNECTING NEIGHBORS TO RESOURCES
- Charity Newsies Clothing Program - applications are open!
- CCS Website
- CCS Parent Portal
- CCS Peach Jar Flyers (community resources)
- CCS School Year Calendar
- CCS Virtual Family Engagement Sessions (current and archived sessions)
- CCS Translated Documents
- CCS Health Hub
- CCS Quarantine Guidelines (and Flow Chart)
- Special Ed Parent Mentor Program
- Colerain Elementary Email Address
- Colerain Elementary Families Facebook Group
- Colerain Family Ambassador Email Address
Colerain Family Ambassador - Matt Dixon
The Family Ambassador is a liaison that facilitates partnerships, between families and the school, that support student academic success and well being.
If you have any questions, ideas, or feedback, please reach out to me either phone or email.