Lincoln Crossing Colt Connection
February 2, 2020
Mrs. Hladun's Tidings
This past week marked an important milestone at school - we celebrated the 100th day of school! Our TK and K students celebrated this special day with 100 day activities. Next big milestone is the 120th day of school, which our 1st graders celebrate with a STEM styled day! As we begin to march towards the end of the year, we have so to look forward - lots of learning and memory making is in the forecast!
I want to make you aware of a change regarding TK for the 2020-2021 school year. The District will no longer offer Early TK and our birthday cutoff for TK will be January 31. If you/someone you know has a student who will turn 5 after January 31, and has already turned in registration paperwork, the district will be in touch to let you/them know of the change. All TK eligible students who turn five on or between Sept 2 and Jan 31 must turn in their packet by February 12 at 4 pm to our school office. If you have any questions, you are welcome to call the office, or to call Mr. Scott Pickett at the District Office (916 645 6350).
Intradistrict Transfer Process
You can learn more about the process and access the paperwork to start the process on the WPUSD website (click here - be sure you open/fill out the INTRAdistrict form!). We will be accepting intradistrict transfer requests (turn them into your current home school) between 2/3 and 2/28 and principals will be approving them starting in March.
Star Struck is underway!
Wednesday, 2/26 (6 pm and 7 pm shows; students arrive between 5:30-40 pm): Warren, Giannini, Cassidy, Cook, Shelton, Ochoa, Stuckey, Crook, Tomasello, Coleman, Wright, Sliepen
Thursday, 2/27 (6 pm and 7 pm shows; students arrive between 5:30-40 pm): Swanson, Fleshman, Risucci, Wetzstein, Noyes, Beatty, Bombard, Botonis, Shye, Reynolds, Hill
This is a program we sell tickets ($5 each) in order to cover the cost of the enrichment program. Information and order forms went home last week, and will be online in PeachJar early this week! This year's theme is "Starstruck Showcase Rocks On" - it's going to be epic!
Week of February 3rd:
- All Week: LCES office is accepting paper registration (printout of online registration, birth certificate, shot record & proof of residency) - all applications are due by 2/12 at 4 pm
- All Week: Online Registration for new gr 1-12 students and all TK/K students is open
- Mon., 2/3: Early Release Monday
- Mon., 2/3, 1-1:40 pm: Leadership Ambassador Meeting
- Mon., 2/3, 1:45-2:45: Choir Rehearsal
- Mon., 2/3, 7 pm, 12 Bridges Public Library: WPUSD Measure D Info Meeting - click for more info
- Tues., 2/4, 1-1:20 pm, Music Room: Musical Theater Choir Rehearsal
- Tues-Thurs: Math tutoring for invited students in grades 1-5
- Wed., 2/5, 2:45-4 pm, MPR: Musical Theater Cast & Ensemble Rehearsal
- Fri., 2/7: Colt Pride Friday!
- Fri., 2/7, 1:55-3:30 pm, MPR: Musical Theater Rehearsal
Week of February 10th:
- Until Wednesday at 4 pm: LCES office is accepting paper registration (printout of online registration, birth certificate, shot record & proof of residency) - all applications are due by 2/12 at 4 pm for inclusion in special program lotteries (i.e. dual language kinder)
- Until Wednesday at 4 pm: Online Registration for new gr 1-12 students and all TK/K students is open; must register/submit paperwork by Wed at 4 for inclusion in special program lotteries (i.e. dual language kinder)
- Mon., 2/10: Early Release Monday
- Mon., 2/10, 1-1:40 pm: Leadership Ambassador Meeting
- Mon., 2/10, 1:45-2:45: Choir Rehearsal
- Tues., 2/11, 1-1:20 pm, Music Room: Musical Theater Choir Rehearsal
- Tues & Wed: Math tutoring for invited students in grades 1-5
- Tues., 2/11, 4-7 pm: PTC Dine Out at Chick fil A
- Wed., 2/12, 2:45-4 pm, MPR: Musical Theater Cast & Ensemble Rehearsal
- Wed., 2/12, 4 pm: Deadline to turn in registration for 2020-21 year
- Thurs., 2/13-Mon., 2/17: No School, Mini Winter/Spring Break
Week of February 17th:
- Thurs., 2/13-Mon., 2/17: No School, Mini Winter/Spring Break
- Tues., 2/18, 1-1:20 pm, Music Room: Musical Theater Choir Rehearsal
- Tues-Thurs: Math tutoring for invited students in grades 1-5
- Wed., 2/19, 2:45-4 pm, MPR: Musical Theater Cast & Ensemble Rehearsal
- Thurs., 2/20, 5:30-6:30 pm: PTC Community Meeting
- Thurs., 2/20, 6-7 pm, Tech Room: Happy Families Presentation - Coping Skills for Anxiety, Stress & Anger (learn more about all HF options here and about the session description here); free day care is provided! There is a duplicate session on Fri morning
- Fri., 2/21: Colt Pride Friday!
- Fri., 2/21, 8:30-9:30am, Tech Room: Happy Families Presentation - Coping Skills for Anxiety, Stress & Anger (learn more about all HF options here and about the session description here); this is a duplicate session from Thursday evening; no day care provided
- Fri., 2/21, 1:55-3:30 pm, MPR: Musical Theater Rehearsal
- Wed., 2/26 and Thurs., 2/27: Star Struck Evening Performances (see who performs when above and/or on our public calendar; we'll start selling tickets early in February)
- Fri., 2/28: District Vision Testing for Grades K, 2 and 5
- Week of 3/2 and 3/9: APEX Fun Run is here!
- 3/12 at 6 pm and 3/13 at 8:30am: Happy Families Session about setting boundaries for children
- 3/21, 6 pm, TBMS: Sweetheart Dance
- 4/2, 5:30 and 7 pm: Aladdin Kids Productions
*click here for our new music (choir, grade level music, musical theater) website!
*click here for our new Leadership Ambassador website!
Non School Days or Special Release Days
- Thurs., 2/13-Mon., 2/17: Late Winter Mini Break & President's Day / no school
- Mon, 4/6-Mon., 4/13: Spring Break / no school
- Mon., 5/25: Memorial Day / no school
- Week of June 1st: early release days - 1:40 dismissal
- Fri., 6/5: last day of school!
Every Monday is an Early Release Day!
Boundary & Registration Update
FYI that we will continue to update this section of our newsletter, but will highlight new info towards the top of the newsletter.
Please share this info with your friends and neighbors who may have children coming into TK/K or who are currently attending school outside of WPUSD but may looking to come back to their community school.
The overall goal is to get a good handle on where students will attend school (that happens early in 2020) so that we can tackle staffing (in spring 2020) and open the schools with minimal adjustments in fall 2020.
Important Information by Date:
NOW - online registration will open up for all NEW students in grades TK-12
- if your child is in grades K-5 at LCES right now, you do NOT need to re-register them
- if your child is in TK (AM or PM), you DO need to register them for kindergarten
- be sure your friends and neighbors with incoming TK or K kiddos know, and if you have friends at schools outside of WPUSD who want to bring their child back to their home school, they need to register using this timeline
- you can access the link to register online via the WPUSD website (click here)
NOW - our office team is taking registration packets
- there is NO NEED for a camp out because there is plenty of room at LCES and Leaman ES (LES) for all incoming students at their home school!
- bring: printout of online registration form and associated documents, proof of residency, child's birth certificate, and immunization records
- the LCES office will take all registrations for students who will attend LCES or LES
DEADLINE HAS PASSED - Tues., 1/21/20 at 4 pm - deadline for current COES students and current LCES 4th graders to turn in intradistrict transfer request
- turning in this form means that current students attending COES want to stay at COES instead of attending LCES or LES
- turning in this form means that current LCES 4th graders want to attend LCES for their 5th grade year instead of LES
- This document was sent home with effected 4th graders (and sent out digitally) on Wed., 12/11. Click here for a PDF copy.
Mon., 2/3/20 - Fri., 2/28/20
- intra paperwork will be accepted at your home school between 2/3-2/28
- you would complete this process if you wanted to attend any school other than the one you are assigned to (i.e. you were zoned to attend LES but wanted to attend LCES; you are zoned for LCES but you want to attend TBE) in 20-21
- Get info on the district's intra policy and get the intra form here
- it is standing policy that intradistrict requests have to be refiled annually and there is no guarantee that they are approved; they are approved on a space available basis
Fri., 2/12/20 at 4 pm - deadline to turn in registration packets for 20-21
- families who move into the neighborhood after this deadline can still enroll
- current residents must complete enrollment by 2/12/20
- this deadline will help us staff the schools correctly
If you are Currently Enrolled in a WPUSD School:
- You don't need to do anything unless you plan to request an intradistrict transfer to go to a different school in the district (see details on that above or below).
- If you live in the Leaman boundary, but your child is in 4th grade now and wants to stay at LCES for 5th grade, you will get a letter asking to you confirm your plans for enrollment for 2020-21 (see details below).
- If your child has an IEP or 504 plan and will end up at Leaman in the fall, his/her IEP is AUTOMATICALLY sent to the new school and services will be uninterrupted.
- All current LCES 5th graders will be automatically registered at TBMS for the 2020-21 school year.
- If your child has an IEP or 504 plan, that information also is AUTOMATICALLY sent to the middle school and services will be uninterrupted.
- Details about enrollment are online here: http://www.wpusd.org/Parent-Resources/Registration---NEW/Next-Year-2020-2021/index.html
Important Info by Topic:
- ONLINE REGISTRATION for NEW STUDENTS: Students coming into Grades TK-12 will be able to register online through the online WPUSD Parent Portal beginning on Mon., 12/9. We will be taking packets for registration (which include your Parent Portal printout, birth certificate, immunization records and proof of residency) on Mon., 1/13 in the office - LCES will take all packets for new students who will attend Lincoln Crossing or Leaman Elementary since there is no office at Leaman, yet. TK Families must register for K online even though you might be attending class in the district currently.
- CURRENT STUDENTS: Students who are currently in grades K-5 at any school in the district will be automatically assigned to their school of residency this spring based on their address (this includes students continuing in elementary and those going to middle school). There may be some options to attend your preferred school (see the IntraDistrict Transfer Requests section above for details).
- WAIT LISTS: We do not anticipate 'wait lists' at any of our schools for any of our grade levels for students who live in within the school's boundary...in the past we had issues with space, and that drove the need for waiting lists. We will not have space issues at any of our schools next year - that means everyone gets into their 'home school!' There will not be any need for a 'camp out!'
- DUAL LANGUAGE IMMERSION PROGRAM / POTENTIAL LOTTERY: There may be a lottery for students to participate in the district's dual language immersion program. The district plans to start this program with only Kinder students. The program will be hosted at Creekside Oaks Elementary only. The need for a lottery will be based on interest generated during registration. There is still uncertainty around if the Dual Language K program will be part day (AM/PM) or extended day, but families will know before they commit to participating after the lottery. Learn more about this program (and all TK/K programs) here.
- INTRADISTRICT TRANSFER REQUESTS: There will be two intradistrict (intra) transfer request windows:
- Intra window #1 - HAS PASSED: applies to students who prefer to stay at COES and for current LCES 4th graders who want to stay at LCES for 5th grade. The district plans to approve those intras. These intras will be due by 4 pm a 1/21/20 at your child's current school office
- Intra window #2: applies to all other students - including those siblings of current LCES 4th graders who may prefer to stay at LCES or families who just want to attend a different school. As they always have been, these intras will be considered on a space available basis. Intras requests will be accepted between 2/3/20 and 2/28/20 and will be processed starting in March; some intras will remain open until the summer, potentially. The draft policy about intras can be reviewed here (on pg. 6)
- KINDER REGISTRATION: For incoming Kinder registration, there will be a question on the registration form about if you have a preference for AM K, PM K, extended day K (8am-1:40pm) and/or the dual language immersion K program. You will be informed about which program your child is placed in the spring. Students are eligible for Kindergarten if they turn 5 on/before September 1, 2020. FYI - our goal at LCES is to host all extended day K classes in 2020. Learn more about K programs at the K Info Night on 12/5 at 6 pm at LCES.
- TK REGISTRATION: The district will open TK classrooms for students who turn 5 between September 2-January 31. You can learn more about the TK program in WPUSD here. The locations for TK in 2020-21 are TBD based on enrollment. Learn more about TK programs at the K Info Night on 12/5 at 6 pm at LCES.
- YOUR ES BOUNDARY: The boundaries have been established by the School Board. You can drop your address into this finder to confirm your elementary school boundary.
Upcoming activities include StarStruck and our Musical Theater production of Aladdin, Jr!. Click for exact dates and times! We look forward to celebrating the season with you!
Every Friday is a Colt Pride day! We love it all - new items, vintage Colt Gear, homemade items, Zebra gear, and blue & yellow! Click for our online spirit wear store - open 24/7/365!
Check out this amazing new Leadership Ambassador's webpage - you can find calendar info, Action Team info and information about the LA training curriculum!
Click for more information about school meal pricing and breakfast and lunch menus. You can also access My School Bucks to add to your child's lunch balance and submit an online application for free/reduced meals.
Click to view a map and video that explains how we ask families to help us keep kids safe. Note that it is much less congested between between 7:50-8:00 am and again between 2:50-3 pm. Supervision is provided at 7:55 am and until 3 pm (2 on ER Days).
The district has approved and published the next 2 years of school calendars! Click for details!