The Colt Classified
April 1, 2019
All 2nd-8th grade students will participate in standardized assessments this week.
About the Iowa Assessments
The Iowa Assessments will be administered to all 2nd through 8th grade students beginning on Tuesday, April 2nd thru Thursday, April 4th. The Iowa Assessments help determine how students are performing on nationwide standards. These assessments measure achievement in several important content areas including: Reading, English Language Arts, Mathematics, Science and Social Studies.
The Iowa Assessments help teachers identify a student’s strengths and areas that may need additional emphasis. They also measure student growth and progress in the content areas assessed from year to year. The assessments produce information that enables sound decision making and provides a focus for teachers to evaluate instruction.
For most tests, students read the questions and mark their answers by filling in a circle for each question. All test questions are multiple choice, and the tests last about 10 to 35 minutes. Students will take 2 to 5 tests per day, depending on the grade level.
This week's schedule is as follows:
Tuesday: Reading and Vocabulary
Wednesday: Math, Computation and Science
Thursday: Capitalization, Punctuation, Spelling, Written Expression, Social Studies
Preparing for Testing
A student who is well rested and well fed and has a positive attitude about testing is best prepared for testing. You can help your child do his or her best by considering these tips:
Make sure that your student is in school and on time each day. Testing will take place from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. Students arriving after 8:30 will not be permitted into the testing site.
Ensure your child gets a good night’s sleep and eats a healthy breakfast each day.
Provide your child with a healthy snack such as, fruit, granola bar, veggies, etc. Please refrain from salty chips and candy.
Remind your child that these tests are only one measure of what he or she has learned. Emphasize that you have confidence in his or her ability to do the best job possible.
Encourage your child to listen to the directions and read each question carefully during testing.
Change of Date- April Family Dine
Come join us on Wednesday, April 10th between 10:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. for fire grilled chicken, freshly made salsa, and making 50% back to our school! It's super easy; Simply, present the flyer, which will be sent home in tomorrow's folder.
We look forward to seeing you on April 10th!
El Pollo Loco Houston
5321 S. Rice Avenue
CCCS is Celebrating Mass with the Parish this Sunday
We look forward to celebrating Mass with you.
CCCS Hoodies in the Classrooms and Other Uniform Reminders
- Hoodies may no longer be worn in the classrooms beginning Monday, April 8th.
- Girls shorts and skirts must be no shorter than 3" above the knee.
- Shirts must be tucked in at all times.
- Belts must be worn with pants and shorts.
- Socks must be visible above the ankles.
Thank you for your assistance in this matter, as the dress code is designed to allow our children to concentrate on values and with their safety in mind.
Crime Stoppers of Houston Presents, "A Parent's Guide to Cyber Safety"
- There are apps that allow kids to create a fake profile and talk to people?
- There is evidence that kids as young as 4th grade are viewing pornography?
- There are sites where kids can video chat with numerous people at once?
- There are apps with secret folders where kids can hide pictures, videos, etc.?
- There are online challenges in which kids are injuring themselves?
Join us on Thursday, April 11th at 6:00 p.m. in Prefontaine Hall to learn about these and much more.
This presentation is open to parents of kids of all ages. Join us, so that we can work together to keep our children safe.
Spring Fling Raffle Tickets
April 4th is our first "Ticket Turn in Thursday" for Spring Fling Raffle Tickets! Students are asked to bring their raffle ticket envelopes containing sold raffle tickets with money collected and turn in to their homeroom teacher. Students may earn a chance to win clothing passes, a Spring Fling T-shirt and Homework Passes. Also, for every 12 books sold, a student’s name will be entered into a weekly drawing to win gift cards, Colt prizes and more!
Top seller wins a $100 Amazon gift card, 2nd highest seller wins a custom cake ($100 value) especially baked and decorated by our very own Ms. Ponce. And…if we reach our $23k goal, CCCS students will win an epic cupcake party on Field Day, May 1st!
Ticket counters needed! We need help with counting raffle tickets on “Ticket Turn in Thursdays” in April and the last Friday of April. Join us in the Jones room at 8:00 for coffee and counting. This is a great way to earn volunteer hours!
Thank you for your support!
Auction Gala News
The first planning meeting takes place this Thursday, April 4th from 6:00 - 7:00 p.m. in the library.
Join us to learn more, share your ideas and to find out how you can get involved with our next auction event scheduled for February 2020. All are invited. You make the difference!
Registration Referral Incentive
* The referred family and their child must meet all admissions requirements for Corpus Christi Catholic School.
* The referral fee of $500 will be disbursed on December 1, 2019 considering that the new family is still enrolled in CCCS.
* Disbursements will be made by either applying to current family’s tuition or check payable to referring family.
* The referral fee applies on a new per family basis; not new, per student basis (one referral fee of $500 if family registers four children or one child).
Lenten Fish Fry Service Opportunity
Scholars are reminded to bring their Service Hours Log for a signature.
- For God's continued healing of Cardinal DiNardo
- For God's healing of Ms. Liz Fretz, mother of Zoe Meuser (8th)
- For God's healing of Mr. Roman Mejia, father of Mrs. Gomez
- For God's healing of Ms. Donna-Maria Lange, sister of Susan Miller
- For God's healing of Mr. Luis Gomez, uncle of Gabriella LaBarrie (1st grade)
- For God's healing of Mr. Jerry LaBarrie, grandfather of Gabriella LaBarrie (1st grade)
- For God's healing of Mr. Vince Freeman, stepfather of Ms. Fucheck(MS ELA)
- For God's healing of Mr. Frank Perez, Ms. Perez's (PreK4) grandfather
- For God's healing of Mr. Pete Perez, grandfather of Emman Perez (8th)
- For God's healing of Mr. Pablo Rodriguez, uncle of Mrs. Ponce
IOWA Assessments for 2nd-8th Graders
Tuesday, April 2nd, 8:30am to Thursday, April 4th, 11:30am
Wednesday, April 3rd, 5:30pm
Auction Planning Meeting
Thursday, April 4th, 6-7pm
Stations of the Cross
Friday, April 5th, 2:30pm
9900 Stella Link Road
Saturday, April 6th, 8am
6800 Fairway Drive
Elementary running events begin at 8:30 a.m.
Middle School running events begin at 10:00 a.m.