A newsletter for Alta Vista Staff~Week of October 14, 2019
Don't Forget! Next Week's Calendar
- Columbus Day/No Students (CHAMPS Training for all teachers/aids) on Monday, October 14 at 8:00 am at Waco Convention Center in McLennan Hall Room 209
- Region 12 Science Planning 1/2 Day (One Teacher per Grade) on Tuesday, October 15 at 12-4 pm
- District K-5 ELAR Curriculum Support on Tuesday, October 15 OR Thursday, October 17 at 4 pm at North Waco Elementary
- Blended Learning District Meeting on Tuesday, October 15 at 4:30 pm
- CTCTM Fall Math Meeting on Tuesday, October 15 at 5-6:30 pm at Alta Vista Elementary
- Wear PINK for Breast Cancer on Wednesday, October 16
- Training for Aids (De-Escalation Techniques) in Library on Wednesday, October 16 at 2:15 pm
- Faculty Meeting on Wednesday, October 16
- Boys to Men Fine Dining Experience in Library on Thursday, October 17 at 11-12:30
- Reading PLC/Smarty Ants Training on Thursday, October 17
- PK Community Helper Parade on Friday, October 18
- Progress Report Grades Due on Friday, October 18
- Fall/Carnival Potluck for Staff on Friday, October 18 **Don't forget to sign up!**
- 2nd Grade GT Testing ALL WEEK of October 21
- Mandatory Benefits Enrollment Individual Meeting in Library on Wednesday, October 23 from 7:45-3:45
- Foundations Behavior Team Meeting on Wednesday, October 23 from 8am-4pm (Minimum Behavior Team presence on campus)
- MELA Testing (Select K/1 Students) on Wednesday, October 23 at 8:30-9:30 am
- Fall Tech Series: SeeSaw (Haskett, Martinez, Rawles) on Wednesday, October 23 at 3:40 pm in Library
- Math PLC on Thursday, October 24
- Tribe Buddy Day on Friday, October 25
- Staff/Students may wear a Halloween/Fall themed shirt on Friday, October 25. Treats in the lounge!
Coming Up Soon: GT Nominations due October 31, Red Ribbon Week during Week of October 28
Technology update! In order to finalize technology orders, we need an accurate count of working technology devices. If you have any technology that isn't working (printer, desktops, laptops, Ipads, etc), then you need to IMMEDIATELY put in a work order for the item. You can do this by going to www.wacoisd.org and clicking the "WISD Tech Helpdesk" Icon located near the top right of the screen.
Conscious Discipline & CHAMPS
CHAMPS Training for ALL STAFF is on Monday, October 14 at the Waco Convention Center (McLennan Hall Room 209) from 8 am to 4 pm. Please dress professionally and come prepared to participate. BRING YOUR CHAMPS/Foundations Book.
We have left over brag tags from last year. You are free to pass these out to students to recognize extra effort. Pick them up from Ms. Koenig in the office; your team will receive Tribe points for your focus on positive interactions!
Keep up with the October Behavior Incentives. They are going great!!
Need help putting a Tier 1 Behavior Intervention in Branching Minds? There's a guide for that here!
PLCs are off to a great start! Remember to bring the following every week:
- Grade level or district assessment data/student tests
- Student work samples (formative assessment)
- Lesson plans/tools/resources
Upcoming PLC Schedule:
10/17: Reading (Achieve/Smarty Ants training)
10/24: Math (Gr 3-5 Both Subjects)
Tribe Buddy Day
Fact Fluency Assessments
Remember that you should be doing a 5-10 minute daily fact fluency lesson each day in math. Here's the skill focus for October:
- Kindergarten: Numbers to 10
- 1st Grade: +2 Facts
- 2nd Grade: +2 Facts
- 3rd-5th Grade: Review of Subtraction Facts
Resource: Fact Fluency Google Folder
Staff of the Week
Congratulations to Ms. Brenda Alvarado for being our STAFF OF THE WEEK. She is here every morning on time and ready to greet students in the cafeteria.
Lead4ward Field Guides
Lead4ward Field Guides are now available. Similar to TEKS Resource System IFDs, they help break down the standards into a comprehensible format and include helpful tools like misconceptions and key vocabulary. The new field guides also include instructional strategies to help build students flexibility within the process skills/TEKS.
To add the field guides to your dashboard, complete the following steps:
- Log in at https://account.lead4ward.com/.
- Create an account by clicking Sign up now under the login button.
- Select Add Memberships near the bottom of the left hand menu.
- Enter the code elemfg2019 and select Submit.
- Select My Memberships to see your successfully added field guides!
Due October 31 (Grades 1-5)
Resources for nominations: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/108WZ9JV6AxoCl_DlFTIRRx4_ESvXGPAL?usp=sharing
1. Have parent give permission to test for GT using the "Nomination Form." https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oAbtziak_xOpyRzsfgM2vRHKh3m8ECejg6JTU-2kxw4/edit?usp=sharing
2. Send home the link to the digital Parent Questionnaire or provide parent with a paper copy. You will have to input the parent questionnaire answers into the digital Parent Questionnaire. bit.ly/gtnomparent
3. Complete the digital Teacher Questionnaire. http://bit.ly/gtnomteacher
4. Have your student use a computer to complete the digital Student Questionnaire. bit.ly/gtnomstudent
Math & Science Vertical Planning Days
Math Planning Dates (Grades K-5): October 28, December 10, February 18
Science Planning Date (Grades 3-5 Only): October 15, November 12, January 10, February 19
Please work with Ms. Bonnie to secure subs for these days (grades 3-5 only). Grades K-2 will use the aides assigned to their grade level.
Box Cards & One Eyed Jacks Training for Math Coming November 14
Grades 3-5 Training: 8 am - 11 am
Grades K-2 Training: 12 pm - 3 pm
You will need to create a 1/2 Day School Business Absence in TEAMS (7:45-11:45 or 11:45-3:45). Please work with Ms. Bonnie to secure subs. The subs in the morning will be able to cover the afternoon classes for the lower grades (if you don't have an aid in your room).
GT Update Opportunities
Foundation 30 Hours of GT Training OR Initial Administrator/ Counselor training (Deadline December 13, 2019)
Day 1: Nature and Needs of Gifted Learners, Responsive Learning
Registration Code: c11277WISD11371
Day 2: Screening, Assessment and Identification, Responsive Learning
use the link and code provided above
Day 3: Differentiating in a G/T Classroom, Google Classroom (oqa726)
Day 4: Critical and Creative Thinking, Google Classroom (mslr7j)
Day 5: Depth and Complexity, Google Classroom (eg3pzl)
Annual Update Options- All annual updates are due no later than May 1, 2020
Book Study (September 1-December 20, 2019) 6-Hours Credit Each
Living with Intensity, Susan Daniels (Eduphoria course link)
Mindfulness in the Classroom, Season Mussey (Google Classroom 2mp2z0i)
Frames (ebook)- J. Taylor Publishing. (Must be purchased and downloaded from JTayloreducation.com. Item # JTE-5D) (Google Classroom q359noe)
90 Minute Google Classroom Updates- Complete 4 to fulfill your 6-hour Update
Depth and Complexity: Creating Tiered Instruction (Google Classroom wtda9jh)
Differentiation in the Classroom: The Basics (Google Classroom ifxecn)
Depth and Complexity: Creating a Choice Board (Google Classroom F5gm8ec)
Depth and Complexity: Creating a Frame (Google Classroom 67xr2h)
*Additional courses will be added throughout the year.
PK, K, & 1 District Professional Development & Coaching Requirements
PK Teachers - 30 hours of Early Childhood Professional Development is required for all PK3 and PK4 teachers in the 2019-2020 school year (15 hours of CLI PD courses and 15 hours of coaching)
**See Mrs. Helton to find out exactly how many hours you have acquired so far for the year.