We Are Together Tamanend!
March 8, 2019
Tamanend Spring Musical "Cinderella" March 8 and 9!
More than 125 students are excited to present Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella this weekend! Students have been working hard since November as cast members, pit orchestra musicians, tech crew, and stage crew to put together this magnificent performance. Tickets are available for sale for $10 in at the door prior to each performance. Come see our happily ever after on stage at 7pm on Friday, 2pm on Saturday, and 7pm on Saturday. It is sure to be a ball!
Reminder--Re-Scheduled Martin Luther King Jr. Teen Peace and Social Justice Summit
This Week's Teen Talk
What is Teen Talk? Each week, we will include a resource in our newsletter designed to promote conversations between parents and children regarding important issues related to teenagers. We hope that these resources serve to help parents and students navigate the excitement and challenges associated with the teenage years. In addition, we will highlight topics that we are discussing in Advisory and in presentations so that you may continue the conversation at home with your teen.
This Week's Teen Talk Topic: Proper Prescription Medication Use
The Nemours foundation created this resource about proper prescription medication use. Please consider discussing this important topic and resource with your teen.
What We're Talking About at Tamanend:
In Advisory, during the weeks of 3/4 & 3/11, all grades will be participating in decision making activities using videos, reflections, and scenarios. 9th Graders are also adding the finishing touches to their blankets, created for Project Linus. On March 4, 8th and 9th Graders learned how to support the American Cancer Society during our Relay for Life assembly.
Relay for Life Kick-Off!
This week, Tamanend held a kickoff for the 16th Annual Central Bucks Middle Schools Relay for Life. Tamanend staff member and former parent Marie McCrone spoke to students about how Relay has touched her and her family. At Relay, teams of students take turns walking around the track to celebrate the lives of those who have battled cancer, and remember loved ones who lost their fight. CB middle school students have raised nearly 4 million dollars for the American Cancer Society (ACS) to date! Relay is open to current 8th and 9th graders who have registered and paid a $10 registration fee by March 22. Each student is responsible for raising at least $50 for the ACS by early May. Each team will also need parent chaperones with them during the event. This year’s event will be held on Saturday, May 18 at Tohickon Middle School. Students are currently forming teams and choosing a team captain. Key dates are:
Tuesday, March 12 – CAPTAINS register during Advisory in Room 230. Please bring your completed team roster. 8th graders, please bring your laptops.
- Wednesday, March 13 through Friday, March 22 – All TEAM MEMBERS must register online, pay the $10 registration fee online, and have parents fill out the online permission slip they receive through e-mail. The registration link will be available in next week’s newsletter.
- Friday, March 22 is the Registration Deadline!
Laissez les bons temps rouler!
Gold n' Blues to Perform at March 30 Phillies Game
On Saturday March 30th, Gold’n’Blues will perform the Star Spangled Banner at the Phillies vs. Atlanta Braves game at Citizens Bank Park. Game time is 4:05 pm. If you are interested in attending and would like to get tickets with Gold’n’Blues families, we have a group rate of $12 per ticket. Our seats will be in the 300 section, along the 1st base line. Click here to order a ticket. Orders must be submitted by Friday, March 15th at 12:00 pm.
Celebrate Earth Day and Support Relay for Life!
Do you want to help fundraise for Relay for Life and get a super awesome Earth Day t-shirt? For the low price of $10.00, you can order an Earth Day shirt and $3.00 from your purchase will go directly to Relay for Life. There are two t-shirt color options available in both adult and youth sizes. The shirts do not say Tamanend on them anywhere so ANYONE can get one! There are cinch bags in both colors available for $10.00 as well. All ordering is done directly through the website found at this link. The website will close on March 23rd.
Update on "Blessing Bags" for Angels in Motion
Students in Advisory created “Blessing Bags” for the Angels in Motion organization. The bags will be distributed to the homeless in the region. Thank you, students for making a difference in the community! UPDATE: The 7th grade Advisories donated, sorted, and packed 354 total Snack Blessing Bags! Every single Advisory pulled through for this great cause!
Jazz Band Awarded First Place Superior Rating
This past Friday evening the Jazz Band took the stage at the Strayer Jazz Band Festival in Quakertown and had their best performance to date. This was not only noted by parents and audience members, but also the judges who critiqued the band. At the end of the night, the jazz band was awarded a First Place Superior Rating and were acknowledged, by the judges, for making outstanding progress in one weeks’ time since our prior festival at Upper Moreland. Congratulations to the trombone section for their second time in as many festivals for being awarded the overall trombone section of the night. And congratulations individually to 8th grader Ryan Dobson for his improv work on Alto Sax for winning an individual solo award! It was an outstanding night out. Congratulations again to all Jazz Band members for a great night out!
Students Support Project Linus
Students in 9th Grade Advisories spent some time as “blanketeers” over the past few weeks. They made fleece blankets for Project Linus. Through this organization, the blankets will be collected locally and distributed to children in hospitals, shelters, social service agencies, or anywhere that a child might be in need of a big hug!
From the Nurse's Office
Currently, we are seeing many students in the Nurse's Office with signs and symptoms of the flu. Flu signs and symptoms are:
- Fever of 100.4 or higher
- Muscle/body aches
- Fatigue and weakness
- Nasal Congestion
- Sore throat
If your student is experiencing these symptoms, please keep him/her home and contact your doctor. A reminder that students must be fever free (below 100.4) without medication for 24 hours to return to school.
Change to School District Calendar
Athletic Department News
- Any 7th/8th Grader who is trying out/participating in a Spring sport must have ImPact (concussion) testing done prior to the start of your season. Any athlete who took ImPact for another sport played at Tamanend does not need to take it again. If an athlete has not yet taken it, sessions will be held with Mr. Klein at the following times on Wednesday, March 13th:
- Period 1: Legacy in the Library
- Period 2: Journey in the Library
- Period 4: Infinity in the Library
- Period 5: Polaris in the Library
- Students participating in track can either attend one of these sessions or the after-school session on Wednesday, March 20th from 2:30-3:30 in the cafeteria. (This is not an option for students playing other sports as other sports are starting on March 18th.)
- Students who are interested in playing any of the sports below for Tamanend need to stop by the guidance office and submit your name to Mr. Klein ASAP:
9th grade baseball
- 9th grade softball
- 7th/8th grade girls lacrosse
- 7th/8th grade boys lacrosse
- If you are interested in participating in Spring Sports, there are several specific items (PIAA physical, Family ID, and concussion testing) that need to be completed prior to the start of tryouts which begin in March. Those items are outlined and explained on the Tamanend Athletics web page, which can be found HERE, and will be explained at the organizational meetings.
- If you played a Fall/Winter sport, your physical is already on file. Therefore you only need to submit Section 7/Recertification of the PIAA physical.
- If you did not play a Fall/Winter sport, you must submit Sections 5 & 6 of the PIAA physical.
- No games
- 8th grade boys basketball Tournament vs. Unami (Home; 3:15)
- 8th grade boys basketball Tournament Semi-Finals vs. TBD (@ Holicong; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:40
- 8th grade boys basketball Tournament Finals vs. TBD (@ Holicong; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:40
- Cheerleading competition at home; 2:45
SPRING SPORTS BEGIN ON MONDAY, MARCH 18th
Support "Southside" Autism Awareness
On Tuesday, April 2nd, the CB South Brew Crew will lead the CB South community in celebrating World Autism Awareness Day. Please consider purchasing one of our “Southside” Autism Awareness shirts with a special message on the back! All proceeds (minimum $5 per shirt) will be donated to the Autism Cares Foundation. Click here to place an order. Please email email@example.com with any questions. Thanks in advance for your support! Tamanend orders will be delivered to Tamanend Advisories in late-March.
Reminder--Order Your Copy of the Tamanend Yearbook!
Click here to order your copy of this year's Tamanend yearbook. The cost is $40.
Reminder--Student Assistance Program (SAP)
The Student Assistance Program (SAP) has been established in schools throughout Pennsylvania. SAP Programs provide schools with the means to identify, refer, and support students who are exhibiting behavioral, academic, or attendance issues that put them at risk. Tamanend has a team of dedicated school personnel who are trained to assist students, faculty and family members in identifying problems that impact the student’s ability to function in school. The team can also offer students and their families resources to assist them in alleviating these problems. For more information about the SAP Program, please click here. To complete a SAP referral form for a Tamanend student, please click here.
Reminder--The Next Meeting of the Tamanend Parent Book Club is March 13
Join us for the Tamanend Parent Book Club. This year, we will be reading Raising Kids to Thrive (2015) by Kenneth R. Ginsburg, MD. The book describes "the Lighthouse Parenting Strategy" in which parents balance unconditional love and high expectations with the goal of raising resilient and happy children. This book club will follow a "no-pressure" format in which the facilitator will present a summary of the chapter and open the floor for discussion. We will share resources and ideas with the goal of helping the entire Tamanend parent community navigate the challenges of raising adolescents.
Meetings are held at 6:30 in the Tamanend Library
Click here for further information, dates, and book information.
Please email Dr. Brian Caughie at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in participating.
Reminder--Help with Resources
If you are experiencing a financial hardship, please know that the staff members listed below can help you and your family. We can provide assistance with food, clothing, student fees, internet access, and other issues. Please don't hesitate to contact us:
Brian Caughie, Principal email@example.com
Kyle Dudley, Assistant Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Lauren Myrtetus, Certified School Nurse email@example.com
Jeff Klein, Guidance Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Mandy Cammann, Guidance Counselor email@example.com
Reminder--Grandfamilies Support Group
Reminder--iSmart Parenting Presentation Sponsored by NOVA
Thursday, March 21st, 9am
1492 Stuckert Road
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Please Consider Volunteering at Tamanend Middle School
Reminder--Volunteer Required Paperwork
Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks and clearances. If you are planning on being in a Central Bucks school during the 2018-2019 school year for any reason, you will need to go to Volunteer Required Paperwork, and complete what is needed to obtain your Photo Volunteer ID Card. You will need that ID Card and a photo ID to enter a CB school.
Reminder--Support Tamanend While You Shop
If you use the following vendors, please think about supporting TMS while you shop:
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card that gives money to the school you designate every time you shop. Use this link to select Tamanend as your A+ school after August 15th of the new school year.
- Clip and send in Box Tops to the attention of NJHS.
Share Good News About Tamanend Students
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (scrolling on TV screens during school day and posted on our website)
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: firstname.lastname@example.org
Oficina: (267) 893-2900