Minors Sold For Pleasure
What is Human Trafficking?
According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, Human Trafficking is defined as "Organized criminal activity in which human beings are treated as possessions to be controlled and exploited (as by being forced into prostitution or involuntary labor)."
The Scary Facts
- More than half of all of the humans bought and sold around the world are not even of age yet.
- Traffickers tend to target minors in ways that lead them to trust their future captors.
- Social media and telephone chat-lines are an easy way for these people to contact minors who don’t know better than to carry on a conversation with them.
- Young girls and boys with troubled backgrounds are more susceptible to being seen as the perfect victim.
- An estimated 293,000 American youths currently are at risk of becoming victims of commercial sexual exploitation.
It is important for family, teachers, and friends to keep these symptoms in mind whilst observing younger people’s behaviors.
Signs of Minors Being Trafficked
- They are malnourished/Deprived of sleep
- Many unexplained absences
- Runs away from home often
- Often makes references to travel
- Many bruises, signs of physical trauma
- Withdrawn behavior, Depression, Anxiety, Fear
- Shows signs of drug addiction
- Has coached/rehearsed responses to questions
Indication of Sex Specific Trafficking in Minors
- Sudden change in attire/personal hygiene/relationships
- Makes references to sexual situations or terminology beyond age specific norms
- Has a girlfriend/boyfriend that is notably older
- Attempts to conceal recent scars