"First in War, First in Peace, and First in the hearts of his countrymen."
- designed by Robert Mills, completed by Thomas Casey and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- embodies the awe, respect, and gratitude the nation felt for its most essential Founding Father, honors and memorializes George Washington
- was the tallest building in the world upon its completion in 1884
- built 1914-1922
- Henry Bacon modeled the memorial after Parthenon in Athens, Greece
- statue carved by the Piccirilli brothers
- on hand is clench representing his strength and determination to see the war through to a successful conclusion. Other hand is slightly opened and relaxed showing his compassionate, warm nature