By Ryan Nagao | Period 6 | 4/27/15

Big image

Political Map of Belgium

Physical Map of Belgium


Belgium has a temperate climate. It has mild winters and cool summers. It is rainy, humid, and cloudy. One of the best times of the year to visit Belgium is from March to May. The temperatures at that time are between the 30s and the 60s.


Belgium's culture is diverse. 58% of Belgium is Flemish, 31% is Walloon, and the other 11% is either a mixed culture, or other culture. 75% of Belgians are Roman Catholic, and the other 25% are other. They speak Dutch, French, and German. They celebrate holidays like May Day, All Saint's Day, and Christmas Day. Organizations and businesses close, but things like hospitals and police stations do not. They take Fridays or Mondays off if the holiday falls on a Tuesday or a Thursday.

Sightseeing Activities

Belgium is famous for its medieval towns, architecture from the Flemish Renaissance, and international headquarters of the EU and NATO. Here are some other places:

  • The Musical Instrument Museum is a museum that contains over 8,000 musical instruments, and it is renowned internationally because of this
  • Saint Michael and Saint Gudula Cathedral in Brussels began construction at the beginning of the 13th century. It took about 300 years to be made complete. It shows the style of architecture that was around during that time (Gothic)
  • Mini-Europe in Brussels similar to Chinatown it has more than 350 mini versions of monuments across Europe. It was opened by Prince Philip in 1989. They are all outside, so they had to be built so that they could bear the weather. They provide descriptions of the landmarks, and they provide a small-scale sculpture of the landmarks

Current Information

  • They use the Euro (1USD->.92EUR)
  • They are a federal parliamentary democracy under a constitutional monarchy.
  • Their current monarch is King Philippe, and their government is ruled by Prime Minister Elio Di Rupa
  • They have a good economy, mainly industry and service
  • They have a free enterprise (where independent businesses aren't regulated by the government, but can still compete for profit)
  • Their main exports are cars, chemicals, and medicines

A Food

A popular food in Belgium is waffles.

"1. In a bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking powder. In another bowl, lightly beat egg yolks. Add milk, butter and vanilla; mix well. Stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.

2.Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. Serve with strawberries or syrup.Yield: 10 waffles (about 4-1/2 inches)," (n.d., 1997)

Transportation and Lodging (The Trip)

It would cost at least $1,150 to get from Chicago, Illinois to Brussels, Belgium, and the trip would be at least 8 hours and 35 minutes. Some popular cities are Brussels, Antwerp, and Laeken, which are all places that will be visited on this trip. In Brussels, there are many interesting museums and buildings (as shown in the video), and they are cool to see in real life. In Antwerp, there are also museums, but there is also the Antwerp Zoo, which has many animals including koalas, a baby tapir (herbivorous animal), and cattle. They have also recently opened an aquarium, so that will be interesting to see. For children under 3, it is free; for children from 3 to 17, people 18 to 25 and 60+, and for disabled it is 17,15 Euros. For Adults 26 to 59, it is 22,50 Euros. In Laeken, there is Mini-Europe, which is something you won't want to miss while we're in Belgium. For children, it is 10,80 Euros; for adults, it is 14,50 Euros; and for seniors, it is also 14,50 Euros. A popular hotel in Belgium (rated 4.6 stars) is the Ghent Mariott Hotel. It has a guest room, a family room, and a guest room with a river view. It is located in Ghent, which is a popular city in Belgium. It is viewed highly, "...awarded by Tripadvisor and Marriott Europe as best hotel of Belgium," (n.d. 2015). It is from 154 Euros per night.


"Belgium." SIRS Discoverer. N.p.: n.p., n.d. N. pag. SIRS Discoverer. Web. 27
Apr. 2015. <

"Belgium transportation: Trains, metro, buses and taxis in Belgium."
Expactica. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Apr. 2015. <

Central Intelligence Agency (U.S.). N.p.: n.p., n.d. The World Factbook. Web. 28
Apr. 2015. <

CultureGrams. N.p.: n.p., n.d. CultureGrams World Edition. Web. 28 Apr. 2015.

"Ghent Marriott Hotel." Marriott. Web. 3 May 2015.

"Grand-Place of Brussels." - City of Brussels. Web. 3 May 2015.

(n.d.). Retrieved April 28, 2015, from

St Michael and St Gudula Cathedral, Brussels. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Apr. 2015.


"True Belgian Waffles Recipe." Taste of Home. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Apr. 2015.

World Book. N.p.: n.p., n.d. World Book Student. Web. 1 May 2015.


Worldmark Encyclopedia of the Nations. N.p.: n.p., n.d. Student Resource Center
Junior. Web. 29 Apr. 2015. <

"ZOO Antwerp." ZOO Antwerp. Web. 3 May 2015.