Taft Community School Newsletter, Week of September 11, 2023
From the Principal's Desk
Dear Taft Families,
I hope you had a great and restful weekend. Our students have been adjusting well and we want to thank you for your support as we get this school year up and running. Fall is right around the corner and it’s going to be a busy time for everyone. We truly appreciate all the patience and feedback from our Taft families.
This week marks the 22nd anniversary of the 9/11 attacks in New York City. Let’s take a moment to thank our first responders and to remember those who lost their lives in this tragic event.
Back to School Night Presentation
Thank you so much for attending Back To School Night! It was great seeing so many families come together with their students and teachers. I apologize for the sound system. I was told that several of you were unable to hear my presentation. Hopefully, you take the time to read the slides. Below is the link. Let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you to those parents who attended my Principal’s Coffee on Thursday, Sept 7. We had a good turnout and we appreciate the comments and feedback given to us by our attending parents. As mentioned in the meeting, we are looking for parents to join our School Site Council / ELAC as well as our Community School Advisory Council. Please reach out to me if you’re interested in learning more or participating. Below is the presentation.
Student Assembly Sept 7, 2023
We had our first student assembly of the school year. We reviewed student expectations and conducted our first Dolphin ticket raffles. Students were recognized in front of their peers and given a prize. Our next student assembly will be in early October. Below is the presentation.
RCSD’s Teacher Tutoring Program
Several families have inquired about tutoring services. In addition to the tutoring services already provided by the school, the district’s Educational Services department will continue with its after-school teacher tutoring program. In this program, teachers are paid to provide supplemental instruction to their own students on the days and times that work best for them after school in 1 on 1 or small-group format. If you are interested in learning more about the program, please contact Sara Aguilar at email@example.com.
Boys & Girls Club Program (BGCP) Update
BGCP notified Taft administration and parents that their start date for the TK, Kinder, and 5B classes has been pushed back. BGCP is currently going through hiring and compliance and the new hires will not be ready by next week. BGCP notified families on Friday, September 8 about this and they are hoping to have 2 new sections open by September 25th or sooner.
Special Education Parent Teacher Association Redwood City (SEPTAR)
SEPTAR’s first meeting will be held on Tuesday, Sept 19 from 7-8:30 pm. See the attached flyer for complete details and registration information.
Student Pick-Up At Dismissal Time
Please pick up your student at the appropriate dismissal time listed in our Bell Schedules. As mentioned above, our office closes at 3 pm and our office staff end their shift at that time as well. We have no staff available after 3 pm. Students who are picked up after 3 pm will have to wait inside the gated area without supervision.
- Please do not park in the staff parking lot in the morning and afternoon. The lot is reserved for staff.
- Please do not block our neighbors’ driveways at any time.
- Please drop off your students in the front drop-off zone. No parking is allowed along the curb. If you are going to park and walk your child to the gate, please park on Bay Rd and walk to the main gate. The RCPD will periodically patrol mornings and afternoons. Administration will be there to receive your students. Once students are dropped off at the main gate, students will be directed to go to their designated area which will be supervised by a staff member. Starting Tuesday, Sept 5, 2023, parents will not be allowed on campus moving forward unless it's a school-related event or have an appointment with a teacher or administrator. All visitors must check into the front office.
- 3rd-5th graders are allowed to walk to their pick-up vehicle at dismissal time without the escort of our staff. Please talk to your students so they are aware and we will also inform them.
- The 8th Ave gate is reserved solely for the Child Development Center and will be closed in the morning for the time being. All students are to enter via the main gate.
- All students need to be in full uniform and wear appropriate shoes every day unless it's a Free Day dress (last Friday of the month). Sandals and Crocs are not allowed on any day. Please refer to the Parent & Student Handbook for complete guidelines. If you need help with uniforms, please contact our Family Center.
- Please review Taft's Cell Phone Policy for Students. Students bringing a cell phone to school must check it in at the front office.
- Tuesday, September 5 - September 22: iReady Testing continues for Grades 1-5
- Wednesday, Sept 13: Second Harvest Food Distribution 2:30-4 pm
- Thursday, Sept 21: Hearing Van (Screening) students in TK/K, 2nd, 5th, SLC, and all students in RSP
- Thursday, Sept 28: Color Day (See Parent & Student Handbook, Pg 13)
- Friday, Sept 29: Free Dress Day
- Tuesday, Oct 3: Picture Day
- Tuesday, Oct 5: Super Minimum Day, dismissal at 11:45 am
- Tuesday, Oct 5: Principal’s Coffee, 8:45-9:30 am
My Next Newsletter
Thank you for taking the time to read my updates. I will send my next newsletter by Monday, September 25, 2023.