Connection to criteria
- 1483-Born in Eisleben, Germany.
- 1483-Family moves to Mansfield Germany.
- 1501-Luther studies at Erfurt University.
- 1514-Becomes priest of Wittenburg's city church.
- 1546-Luther dies in Eisleben, Germany.
Facts about life, for whom he worked for
Martin worked for the University of Wittenburg as a professor of theology. Later he became the priest of the Wittenburg City Church.
Event/Action: 95 Theses
Effect: Luther, a priest at the Wittenburg City Church, was outraged. He drew up 95 reasons why Tetzel shouldn't be selling the indulgences and how they were immoral. He believed you could be saved by faith alone. With the aid of the printing press, Luther's theses were distributed across Europe where furious debate arose, and Luther gained many followers.
Event/Action: Translating the Bible
Effect: As a result, more people were able to read the bible and translate the meanings for themselves.
Event/Action: Peace of Augsburg
- Justification by faith alone.
- Authority of scripture alone.
- Priesthood of all believers (everyone has responsibility to share their faith).
Effect: Charles V, seeing that an agreement upon religions needed to be made, reached a settlement in 1555 with the Lutheran princes called the Peace of Augsburg. This allowed each prince to decide which religion would be followed in his lands.