We Are Together Tamanend!
April 15, 2013
Tamanend Garden Grit
- Recent TMS graduate, Alex Z., has volunteered to get our garden growing as a part of his Eagle Scout project!
- Coach Connelly (former TMS parent and Football Coach; current CBS Titan Freshman Football Coach) is donating soil.
- Delaware Valley College has offered to guide us in the construction and maintenance of the garden.
- Dr. Mass, CB parent and avid organic gardener, has volunteered to advise us. She has helped other CB schools get their gardens growing.
- Whole Foods has offered to fund some of our garden needs and has been instrumental in getting our project going. Mrs. Stab, TMS parent, helped us connect with Whole Foods.
Here are the things we still need to make our garden happen:
- Our biggest challenge will be funding the irrigation system needed to keep our garden viable throughout the year. This will be the most costly part of our project. Stay tuned as we look for funding possibilities.
- We are still looking for TMS family volunteers to help with planning and initial installation. Please contact our TMS Wellness Committee if you are interested.
- Long-term we will use a web-based signup format for TMS students/families to volunteer to weed and pick veggies/herbs throughout the summer. Families will be able to keep what they pick or donate it to a local food pantry.
Again, we thank everyone for their support so far. Stay tuned as we post TMS Garden Grit Updates!
PSSA Testing Days
TMS Community Blood Drive - Tomorrow
Tomorrow the American Red Cross will be at Tamamend for our community blood drive sponsored by our Service Club. This was our normally scheduled Spring Blood Drive and many of our Tamanend staff, parents, and community members have already signed up for this lifesaving event. We are aware that the Red Cross website has been inundated by people reaching out to donate blood and help in other ways. Please check our Tamanend web page for updates on our Blood Drive. Thank you for being Tamanend Together in service to others.
Relay for Life Pizzeria Uno Nights - Tuesday and Wednesday
FREE Workshop for Parents
Rod Green, Ph.D., Superintendent at Central Bucks School District
Barry G. Ginsberg, Ph.D., Center of Relationship Enhancement
Ellen Thomas, The Curiosity Shoppe Inc.
Natalie Wi, Allure West Photography Studios
Parent Council - Thursday
Freshman Dance Planning Meeting - Thursday Night
Report Cards - Friday
Help Tamanend While You Shop or Recycle
If you use the following vendors, please think about supporting TMS while you shop and recycle:
- Use this link to connect to Amazon to shop and Tamanend can earn as much as 15% of what you purchase!
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card. Register your card and TMS will receive a percentage of your spendings.
- If you shop at Target and have a Target Red Card, you can register your card for Target's Take Charge of Education program so that Tamanend receives a percentage of your spending.
- Clip and send in Box Tops to the attention of NJHS; or, shop at the Box Top Market Place where you will find vendors such as Best Buy, K Mart, Justice and more.
- If you like to shop online, check out the eScrip Online Mall. When you sign up for an account, selecting Tamanend earns money for our school.
- When you recycle your paper using our Abitibi bin located at the back of our Main Parking Lot, you have not only helped the environment, you help TMS, too.
CBSD Board Briefs
At the April 9, 2013 School Board Meeting, the Central Bucks School District School Board:
1. Heard the Lenape Jazz Ensemble performance before the school board meeting and via video, the Pledge of Allegiance was led by Mrs. Egan’s 4th grade Warwick class.
2. Heard the Academic Spotlight about Google Science Fair which is a new way for students to showcase their work for a global audience. Dr. George Mehler presented the program and showcased some student work.
3. Heard the Superintendent’s Report, Communications, Curriculum, Finance, Operations, IU Board, and MBIT Committee Reports. Also, an After School World Language Program report from Mr. Brian Caughie and Ms. Stacy Gray.
4. Approved School Board Minutes – March 12 and 19, 2013.
5. Approved the 403(b) and 457(b) Investment Program, construction contracts for Unami renovations, and the MBIT 2013-2014 General Fund Budget.
6. Tabled School Board Policy 902-1 – Cable Television so that proposed policy can be posted on the CBSD website.
7. Approved various personnel items, student trips, tuition students, and staff workshops.
8. Discussed the 2013-2014 budget. Mr. Matyas provided the Board with an update of the 2013-2014 budget process since the preliminary budget was adopted in January. He highlighted several proposed adjustments which would eliminate the need for a millage increase for the 2013-2014 school year. The proposed adjustments would not affect the normal CB program.
9. Discussed the proposed CB East Stadium project. Dr. Green stated that approximately 500 people attended the March 19 public hearing to hear about the proposed CB East Stadium project. Thirty-five community members spoke during the public hearing. The project will cost between $5.1M to $5.6M. The design of the proposed stadium will take approximately six months and will take approximately twelve months to complete. Board members talked about the particulars of the proposed stadium. The CB East Stadium project will be discussed at the next Operations Committee meeting.
10. Received Sabbatical Leaves of Absence and the Board Calendar as information items.
Highlighted in a Previous Tamanend Connections:
- Warrington Township Police Department has asked that we remind everyone of the school speed limit of 15 mph during our arrival and dismissal times: 6:55-7:40 a.m. and 2:15-3:00 p.m..
- Staff Appreciation Luncheon: We appreciate Mrs. Christine Pataki for coordinating the TMS Staff Appreciation Luncheon this year which will be on May 7th. To volunteer, please email Mrs. Pataki at email@example.com.
- Relay for Life: 8th and 9th graders across the district are encouraged to participate in the CBSD Relay for Life hosted at Tohickon Middle School on May 18. Please mark your calendar and stay tuned for more information.
- ARAMARK is sponsoring a student poster contest for National Nutrition month. Judging will occur at the elementary, middle and high school levels and there will be gift certificates to those students who are awarded.
- In order to promote more students eating breakfast before school, Tamanend now has a breakfast cart. Students can purchase breakfast items from 7:10 a.m. until 7:27 a.m. NEW LOCATION FOR THE CART: Outside the Auditorium by the back of Mr. Sanchez's room so that students may buy breakfast as they arrive to school. Students will be able to use their IDs to swipe their account number, or they can enter it manually. Students will be allowed to eat breakfast in their homerooms. For more information about the selection and prices, click here.
- 2013-2014 CBSD Calendar
- Tamanend is helping to Save Kids Castle! Click here to donate your time, talent or money. To learn more about this worthwhile community service project, you can follow it on Twitter @SaveKidsCastle.
- We need parents, students and staff for our Wellness Committee. If you are interested in helping with a fitness program after school, starting a vegetable garden in our courtyard, or have some other ideas to help our students and staff "go green" and stay fit, please contact Mrs. Mary McDonald, Mrs. Lauren Myrtetus and Ms. Brenda Scheffey about becoming involved in our Wellness Committee.
- Students currently taking an Algebra course will take the PA Keystone Exam in Algebra this year, unless they took the Algebra Keystone two years ago and were proficient. The following is a link with more information about the PA Keystone Exams: http://www.cbsd.org/curriculum/assessment/Pages/PA-Keystone-Exams.aspx.
- If you have a Twitter account, now you can get "Tiger Tweets" by following us @CBTamanendMS where we will proudly share good news and accomplishments of our students and staff.
Please read and share with others our "TMS Points of Pride."
Please volunteer to help make this year at TMS great!
- Click here to register to receive CBSD text alerts.