The Rigsby Reader 11.3.14
Updates from Room 311
Bring Your Own Tech Day- Pajama Day
This Thursday from 1:45-2:20 we will be dumping SLIME on Mrs. Dechant! And if that isn't something to get excited about- this Friday the students are doing a Pajama/Bring Your Own Tech Day.
- Students MAY bring any personal tech device to use from 1:35-2:20 this Friday. This includes cell phones, ipads, personal game devices (DS), tablets, Kindles..etc etc.
- The devices need to be TURNED OFF and brought in the students BOOKBAG. Your child is responsible for their tech device. Mrs. Rigsby will not accept responsibility for lost/stolen/damaged devices. However- our classroom will be on a strict lockdown (door will not be unlocked, Ms. Parker will supervise all students near cubbies).
- Encourage students to bring headphones if their device is noisy :)
- I will have a class set of Chrome Books (laptops) in the classroom for students who are not able to bring their own devices (as well as a laptop mini, and 2 iPads)
- Students MAY NOT have their device out at any other time of day- especially on the bus. If a device is brought out of their bookbag outside of 1:25-2:20- the device will be confiscated until the PARENT picks it up from me. The student will also not be allowed to participate in any BYOT(ech) events in the future.
- If you have any additional concerns or questions- please contact me! Mrs. Grimes class held a BYOT party a month ago, and her students LOVED it! We are definitely looking forward to this.
VolunteersWe are to the point in the year- where a few extra hands would be helpful! You could come in a certain time every week, or an hour here or there. You could also send me a note/email and I can send cutting/assembling work home to you.
- Sit with students during Math (10-11am) or Roots and Wings (1:35-2:20) and drill them with Multiplication Flashcards!
- Come do some fluency reading drills with students! Every day from 8:10-10am. All the materials and folders are ready for you to come and time students as they week.
- Copy Room Hero- no desire to be near children? Come make homework packets, spelling words, copy reading passages!
- Yoga balls (You know it's just sitting in your garage...)
- 8 1/2 x 11 Cardstock (Extra Thick paper)
- Colored Copy Paper
- Kids Magazines (Sports Illustrated, National Geographic?)
Library Hunt: We are looking for copies of these books for our book series library. If you are cleaning off your library shelves- or happen upon them in a goodwill :)
- "The Throne of Fire"- The Red Pyramid #2
- Emily Windsnap #2
- Series of Unfortunate Events # 11
- Pendragon #5
- Amelia Bedilia
- Invisible Inc. #2
What We Are Learning
- Flexible Math Groups: 1 x 2,3,4 digit numbers (1x 3,453)
- Reading: Flexible Reading Groups: Plot & Setting
- Science: 1st Quarter: Animal Adaptation Live Binder Biome Project
- Writing: Working on our Narrative Story
Dates to Remember:
- November 4th: No School
- November 6th: Picture Money Due
- November 7th: PJ/Bring Your Own Tech Day
- November 11th: No School