Chandler High Wolf Bytes
100 Years of Excellence
Congratulations to CHS Winterguard, WGAZ Bronze Medalists and 8th overall out of 26 groups!
- Softball def. Campo Verde (F 17-13) and Gilbert (JV 3-2; F 14-1)
- Baseball def. Perry (V 4-3) and Gilbert (JV 5-2)
- Girls Tennis def. Mesa (V 6-3)
- Boys Tennis def. Mountain Pointe (V 7-2; JV 6-3) and Mesa (JV 5-4)
This Week’s Home Events:
- Monday, April 6th: Girls Tennis vs. Red Mountain @ 3:30pm
- Tuesday, April 7th: Boys Tennis vs. Desert Ridge @ 3:30pm; Softball vs. Corona del Sol (JV and F @ 3:45pm); Boys Volleyball vs. Mesa (JV @ 4:00pm; V @ 5:30pm)
- Wednesday, April 8th: Baseball vs. Hamilton (JV and F @ 4:00pm); Boys Tennis vs. Desert Vista @ 3:30pm
- Thursday, April 9th: Girls Tennis vs. Skyline @ 3:30pm; Softball vs. Skyline (JV and F @ 4:00pm)
- Friday, April 10th: Baseball vs. Mesquite (V @ 4:00pm)
INCOMING FRESHMAN ATHLETIC INFO NIGHT
On Wednesday, April 8th, CHS will conduct an athletic informational meeting for all registered incoming 9th graders. Jim Culver, CHS’s Athletic Director, will review the athletic clearance process and communicate summer activities. Please join us in the Chandler Center for the Art’s Bogle Theater from 6:00-7:00pm.
CHS DANCE PRESENTS CROSSROADS
CHS Dance is preparing for their April 16th Dance Concert and setting lighting cues during rehearsals. This student-produced concert is bound to be terrific! Check out additional info below.
CHS students interested in attending the following presentations by visiting college reps may sign up in the Career Center:
- UC Berkeley- Tuesday, April 7th @ 8:30am
- Chandler-Gilbert Community College- Tuesday, April 7th @ 9:30am
- Johns Hopkins University- Monday, April 13th @ 7:00pm
- Arizona Pre-Health Professional Expo hosted @ the downtown campuses of ASU, NAU and UA- Wednesday, April 15th (See career center calendar for more info)
- U of A- Junior Presentation- Wednesday, April 22nd @ 8:30am
- Avalon- Wednesday, April 22nd @ 10:30am
- ASU- Junior Presentation- Thursday, April 23rd @ 10:00am
New presentations are added daily. Visit the career center calendar to access other valuable info.
2015 Testing Information
AIMS Science Testing
- Wednesday, April 8th for 9th and 10th graders in Biology, H Biology or Applied Bio - 11:00am Early Release for students not testing
- Tuesday, April 14th- ELA Writing for all students in English 9, English 10 and English 11 (includes Honors/AP/IB/ELD classes)- 12:05pm Early Release for students not testing
- Wednesday, April 15th- ELA Reading for all students in English 9, English 10 and English 11 (includes Honors/AP/IB/ELD classes)- 10:25am Early Release for students not testing
- Monday, April 20th- Math for all students in Algebra 1, Geometry and Algebra 2 (includes Honors)- 10:15am Early Release for students not testing
- Tuesday, April 28th at 7:20am for all CHS Juniors- This is an 11:50 late start for 9th, 10th and 12th graders. We are running two bus routes- the regular route for juniors, and a second route that freshmen, sophomores and seniors will catch 4 ½ hours later than their regular pick-up time.
As you may know, AzMERIT testing will begin next week and we wanted to provide you more information about what to expect.
AzMERIT replaces AIMS for reading, writing, and math. All high school students will take AzMERIT end-of-course tests in English Language Arts (ELA) and math that will test their proficiency in both subjects.
AzMERIT end-of-course tests are administered to those students enrolled in English 9, English 10, English 11, and Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II. The ELA tests include a writing portion and a reading portion. Ninth or tenth graders will still take the AIMS Science test at the end of a biology course.
Passing AzMERIT is not a requirement for high school graduation. Additionally, as of last month, juniors and seniors who did not originally pass AIMS will not be required to retake the AIMS test in order to graduate.
The AzMERIT test was selected by the Arizona State Board of Education because it goes beyond multiple choice questions to provide a better indicator of what students have learned during the school year.
- Writing: The writing portion will require students to read a few passages and then write about them. This type of task requires students to think deeper about topics and use evidence to support their thinking.
- Reading: The reading portion will be administered in two parts in one day. Students will have ample time to read and answer questions. The test also contains editing tasks to measure student understanding of fundamental skills like spelling and grammar.
- Math: The math portion will be administered in two parts in one day. Students will have ample time to read and answer questions. The test will ask questions that check a student’s conceptual understanding of math, as well as their procedural skills.
AzMERIT testing will be given via paper and pencil at CHS. A late bus will be available at 4:00pm for students who test past 2:14pm.
EF Exchange Program
Bring the World into your family! Amy Peterson is the International Exchange Coordinator for EF High School Exchange Year. Their goal is to match dedicated, great exchange students with families wanting to share our American culture. They work with and support local high schools, students, and their host families. If you are interested in hosting one of the many students we are currently trying to place, please contact Amy by emailing her at firstname.lastname@example.org or calling her at 480-452-4442. Exchange isn’t a year in your life, it’s a Life in a year!
Click www.efexchangeyear.org for additional info.
Parents of high school students are invited to preview and evaluate the Algebra 2 Textbook and Environmental Science Textbook Adoption materials submitted at the Instructional Resource Center (IRC) from now until May 5th, 2015. The IRC hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The IRC is located at 500 W. Galveston, Chandler, AZ 85225. Math Instructional Specialists will be available to answer questions on Thursday, March 26, 2015, from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Parents who are not able to attend on this date are welcome to come to the IRC between the hours of 8:00-4:00, Monday-Friday.
second semester final exams
Thursday, May 21st and Friday, May 22nd are review days. May 21st is 1-3-5; May 22nd is 2-4-6. 0 hour teachers will test on Wednesday; students must be in class both days.
Tuesday May 26th, 2015
0 Hour - 6:30-7:20
1st Hour - 7:25-9:00
3rd Hour - 9:10-10:45
5th Hour - 10:55-12:30
Make up exams (prearranged) 1:30-2:45
Wednesday May 27th, 2015
0 Hour - 6:30-7:20
2nd Hour - 7:25-9:00
4th Hour - 9:10-10:45
6th Hour - 10:55-12:30
Make up exams (prearranged) 1:30-2:45
chs parent education meeting
Do you have trouble communicating with your teenager? Does your child talk back, have an attitude or loses his/her temper? If you are experiencing any of these issues, believe me, you are not alone. Teenage years can be very challenging but there are solutions. If you are interested in learning new effective techniques to improve your relationship with your teenager, then please attend our upcoming Parent Educational Meeting on Thursday, April 9th.
Topic: “Communication Gap – Lost in Translation”
Speaker: Pam Baumann – Community Education Director at MASK
Time: 6:30 – 8pm
Host Location: Hamilton High School – D100
*For future meetings, contact Chandler High School’s Social Worker Erin Zius at 480-812-7709
¿Tiene Usted dificultades de comunicarse con su hijo adolescente? ¿Le contesta su hijo de mala forma, tiene una actitud mala o pierde la tolerancia? Si Usted se da cuenta de algunas de esas cosas, puede saber que no está solo. Los años de la adolescencia pueden tener muchos desafíos, pero hay soluciones. Si a Usted le interesa aprender técnicas nuevas y efectivas para mejorar su conexión con su hijo/a, por favor planee asistir a la próxima reunión de educación para los padres. Será el jueves, 9 de abril.
Tema: “La falta de comunicación – La pérdida al traducir”
Locutora: Pam Baumann – Directora de la Educación Comunitaria en MASK
Hora: 6:30 a 8 de la noche
Lugar: Hamilton High School – D100
*Si quiere saber de reuniones en el futuro, comuníquese con la trabajadora social de Chandler High School, Erin Zius – 480-812-7709.