Clark Academy School News
School Counseling Edition: June 2021
Septima P. Clark Academy Mission Statement
"We are designed to meet the
unique challenges of nontraditional students
in a small and nurturing environment."
School Counseling Director
Hello Everyone, I am Mrs. McBride formally Ms. Shaw. I am the School Counseling Director for both Clark Academy and Daniel Jenkins.
Hello Everyone, I am Mrs. Doxtader. I am a counselor at Clark Academy.
Hello everyone, I am Ms. Tiffany Middleton. I am the career specialist for both Clark Academy and Daniel Jenkins.
School Counseling Director
General Clark Announcements
Summer School 2021
CLICK ABOVE FOR: Summer School Registration dates, location, times, and fees for 2021.
June Final Exam Testing Schedule
End of Course (EOC) Exam Schedule
English EOC: June 8th, 2021
Algebra EOC: June 9th, 2021
Biology EOC: June 10th, 2021
Reminder: EOCs must be completed in person even if you are a virtual student!
Teacher Final Exam Dates
June 15th, 2021: 1st and 3rd Block
June 16th, 2021: 2nd and 4th Block
*Reminder: All virtual students are able to ride the bus to and from school on in-person testing days, please contact the school counseling department with any questions.*
Clark Senior Week!
- June 7th, 2021: Senior Checkout/Senior Breakfast
- June 8th, 2021: Movie/Pajama Day
- June 9th, 2021: Stars & Strikes (Please remember your permission slip!)
- June 10th, 2021: MANDATORY ceremony practice followed by an optional senior picnic.
Reminder: Mrs. Doxtader send all seniors a survey to see you will be participating each day. If you have not done so please complete ASAP!
Clark Senior Recognition Ceremony
Saturday, June 12th, 9-10am
2731 Gordon Street
North Charleston, SC
All Clark students are welcome to join us at the Hibbie Ayoub Stadium (behind the old Garrett Academy) to celebrate the graduation of our Clark Senior Class!
Congratulations to Michah Brown-Holmes and Kierra Major for receiving qualifying scores on the military ASVAB assessment. We are all super proud of your hard work!
Career Specialist News you can use!!!
Clemson Architecture Camp
2 $250 scholarships available w/ counselor recommendation, rising 9th-12th graders,
LINK TO FLYER > https://charlestonempowered.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/ARCHITECTURE-CAREER-SUMMER-ACADEMY-31-1.pdf
Trident Tech Culinary Camp
12 spots for 3 week camps> More info: https://www.tridenttech.edu/landing/CIC_preapprenticeship_application.htm
Chamber / NIWC / Bosch Hack-a-thon
3 day event June 21-23, rising 9th graders interested in cyber security,
(please target middle school PLTW Gateway to Technology classes)
One more opportunity for graduating seniors & current Juniors
As Robin & Darryl shared in our meeting Friday, the Metro Chamber is seeking 12th & 11th graders for summer internships with companies like Banks Construction, Wild Dunes, logistics / warehouse company Southern Crown, and many more.
This internship program is a cooperation with SC Works and Bank of America. Students will begin their experience with a training / orientation that SC Works will provide.
Please encourage students to use THIS LINK to communicate their interest in this summer internship/employment opportunity:
TWO AMAZING Summer Camp Opportunities
- The Lowcountry Advanced Manufacturing Institute (LAMI) is a week-long, full-day summer program for rising high school freshmen, sophomores and juniors that will offer them a prestigious opportunity to gain exposure to the extremely diverse world of advanced manufacturing. Activities will include meeting with and hearing from industry leaders, touring local facilities, and using state of the art equipment in the SC Aeronautical Training Center!
- LAMI is funded through a generous donation from the Bosch Community Fund and a U.S. Department of Defense grant titled BOOMING in STEM.
- TTC is also hosting a series of week-long, full-day STEM Summer Camps for youth ages 7-11 and 12-17. Camps include Coding Robots, Hacking/Cyber, Drones, and more!
- These STEM Summer Camps are also funded through the BOOMING in STEM grant through the U.S. Department of Defense.
Attached are flyers with more information about each of these opportunities that can be shared. These camps are FREE to all students who participate; however, we are giving first priority to rural and underserved communities. SPACE IS LIMITED! Students/parents can reach out by calling us at 843-574-6152 or emailing STEMgrant@tridenttech.edu (email is the quickest and easiest way to get a response).
TRI-COUNTY STEMERSION 2021!!
Join us and build a virtual robot!!
Berkeley, Charleston, Dorchester County Classroom Educators: Register today!
(click to register) Tri-County STEMersion 2021
Berkeley, Charleston, Dorchester County School Counselors: Register today!
(click to register): COUNSELORS TRI-COUNTY STEMERSION 2021 PILOT
Million Women Mentors SC College Prep Seminars
College students their experiences and answer questions about the best way to tackle being a freshman in 2021.
SC Governor's School for Science + Mathematics STEM Camp
North Charleston - June 21-24, 2021
Sessions will be offered as week-long residential, in-person and live virtual.
Link to the camps and applications: https://www.scgssm.org/camps
Still Worried about Paying for College?
- CHECK OUT UNIGO FOR SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
- Search over 6,000 college scholarships and grants worth billions of dollars!
- They have athletic, college specific, company sponsored, grants, merit based, minority, military, by majors, by state, religious, by type, and even weird scholarships available!
$$$ Scholarship Central $$$
New: Gamma Zeta Chapter of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Scholarship
Deadline: June 9th, 2021
Gamma Zeta Chapter of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc would like to announce our 2021-2022 Sorority Year Scholarship opportunities.
1. Female high school senior in Berkeley County, Charleston County, or Dorchester County.
2. Cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or better based on a 4.0 grading scale (verified by official transcript.) Transcripts should be submitted in a sealed envelope with your school’s seal.
3. Demonstrate interest and involvement in public service and community related activities.
4. Demonstrate goals, aspirations, and plans to pursue an education beyond high school.
Andrew Blankenship Scholarship
Deadline: June 15th, 2021
This annual $500.00 scholarship is awarded to a graduating African American male High School senior from Charleston, or Berkeley County. This scholarship is awarded based on academic performance, financial need, and the four characteristics listed below.
Character, Need, Service & Academics
Meeting Street Scholarship Fund
Are you Life Scholarship or Palmetto Fellows eligible AND qualify for a Federal Pell Grant AND planning to attend an eligible SC College/University? If so, you may be eligible to receive up to $10,000 dollars of additional funds EVERY YEAR*! That’s potentially an additional $40,000 dollars for college. (* recipients must remain Life and Palmetto Fellow eligible each year in college)
There is no limit on the number of Charleston County students who can earn the scholarship but you must apply.
If you have not completed the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to determine if you are Pell Grant eligible go here to do so ASAP. Completing the FAFSA will also determine if you qualify for other federal financial assistance to help cover college costs.
Visit https://www.meetingstreetscholarshipfund.org/ for more scholarship information and to sign up for scholarship updates.
South Carolina’s Scholarship Information
South Carolina State Scholarships Programs
SC Needs Based Grant
Lottery Tuition Assistance
SC National Guard College Assistance Program
SC Workforce & Industrial Needs Scholarship
Visit South Carolina Commission on Higher Education or see your School Counselor for more information regarding eligibility criteria and any applicable deadlines, if applicable.
20-21 Individual Graduation Plans (IGP)
On the Path to Becoming an Early Graduate?
Did you know that in addition to passing all of your required coursework that you must also satisfy one of the college and/or career ready requirements?