JCMS Parent Newsletter
General JCMS News
- 8th Grade Math Help - Struggling in Math? Want just a little more practice with a particular topic? Need some help on homework? You have come to the right place!! - http://tinyurl.com/hx3vf9a
- JCMS Spelling Bee - There is still time to sign up for the JCMS Spelling Bee that will be held Wednesday January 20th. Signup sheet is in the library.
- Scheduling -
7th Grade: Ms. Hanneken has been visiting classrooms to talk with students about their options for classes next year. Those students should be coming home with an elective description paper where they are able to write down choices that they would like. We ask that parents talk about this with their student, sign the paper and have the student return it to their Social Studies teacher by Friday January 22nd.
8th Grade: Mrs. Phillips will be in classrooms this week talking with students about creating their 4 year plan. The student will create their 4 year plan but we ask that parents talk with them about this and sign this paper before the student returns it. The high school guidance counselors will come to JCMS on February 5th and 8th to actually schedule the students.
- Bad Weather - Please stay posted through our facebook page, text alerts, call from Dr. Sargent on closings and delays for this week.
- Snow Make-up Days - Because of the last 2 days being snow days, we will be in school on February 15th.
- Picking Students Up - Make a doctors appointment for your student during the school day? No problem! - call ahead or write a note for your student to bring to the main office letting us know what time you will be here. By letting us know ahead of time, we are able to have your student in the main office ready to go by the time you arrive.
- 2015-2016 Yearbooks - Now on Sale!! Order forms are being mailed home or you can go to: ybpay.lifetouch.com and enter Yearbook ID Code: 12069116. Prices start at $25 for a yearbook.
- 7th Grade Math Tutoring - Struggling in math? Mrs. Ballenger will be available for tutoring and extra help every Thursday until 4:00pm.
- New ISTEP+ Test - If you want to see what all the hype is about and try some of the new ISTEP+ based questions yourself, visit http://parcc.pearson.com/practice-tests/english/.
- 2016 ISTEP+ Windows - Please avoid scheduling all appointments or other things where your student misses school on the following dates: February 29-March 11 and then April 18-29. These dates are when we will be taking ISTEP+ this year.
- Comment Box - Please help make our school better. If you have feedback for us or a suggestion on how we would do something better, please click the following link and let us know. Be as detailed as possible in your suggestion so we are able to act upon it. http://goo.gl/forms/yUo6t4sp8X
From the Guidance Department
The School Counselors are going into the classrooms this week and next to talk to students about scheduling options for the coming Academic year 2016-2017.
Seventh graders learned about their 8th grade Elective class choices this past week. All students will be enrolled in Language Arts, Math, Science, Social Studies and Health/P.E. The 7th graders completed a form for parents to sign. This form gives the students a chance to request their Elective preferences for next year. The students are told that we will do our best to ensure they get at least one of their preferences. Academic needs are given first consideration when designing each student’s schedule. The forms are due back to their Social Studies teacher with a parent signature no later than Friday, January 22nd.
Eighth graders will be learning about their high school schedule choices and declaring a Four-year Plan during the week of January 18 through 22. The students will earn about the different diploma types that are available to them in Indiana and Jennings County High School. They also will be given a form requiring their parent’s signature. Those forms should be returned no later than Friday, January 29th to the School Counseling office.
If you have any questions about the scheduling process or your student’s academics in general, please don’t hesitate to call the School Counseling department at 812-346-4940.