Chavez High School Political Guide
Paola Pineda ; 1st period
- Democrats believe all families should have equal respect, responsibilities, & protections under the law. They oppose an federal or state constitutional amendment that deny equal right to same-sex couples. (http://www.ontheissues.org/Celeb/Democratic_Party_Civil_Rights.htm)
- Republicans believe "marriage" is the legal union of one man & one woman. They have even proposed to pass a constitutional amendment that would ban states from allowing gay-marriage to be legal. (http://www.ontheissues.org/Celeb/Republican_Party_Civil_Rights.htm)
- The Constitution Party rejects the notion that homosexuals, transgenders, or those who are sexually deviant are deserving of legal favor or special protection. They oppose all efforts to impose a new sexual legal order through any courts or legislatures. (http://www.constitutionparty.com/family/#more-')
- The Green Party firmly believes that same-sex couples should have all of the same rights heterosexual couples do & that the "Defense of Marriage Act" is a violation of civil rights. David Cobb, the Green Party candidate for that presidential election said "The right to marry is an equal rights issue... [the] California Supreme Court is an affront to human rights & human dignity will not stand the test of time." (http://www.gp.org/index.php/15-white-papers/27-marriage-equality.html)
Green party view on same-sex marriage.
- Democrats believe abortion is an intensely personal decision between a woman, her family, her doctor, & her clergy; there is no place for politicians or government to get in the way. They oppose all efforts to weaken or undermine that right. (http://www.ontheissues.org/Celeb/Democratic_Party_Abortion.htm)
- Republicans believe that an unborn child has a fundamental individual right to life which cannot be infringed. They support abstinence & adoption rather than abortion. (http://www.ontheissues.org/Celeb/Republican_Party_Abortion.htm)
- The Constitution Party believes that legalizing the termination of innocent life of the unborn is a direct violation of their unalienable right to life. They say under no circumstances may the federal government fund or otherwise support any state or local government or any organization or entity which encourages or participates in practices of abortion. (http://www.constitutionparty.com/the-sanctity-of-life-2/)
- The Green Party believes the right of a woman to control her body is inalienable & that the option of a safe, legal abortion remain available. (http://www.ontheissues.org/Celeb/Green_Party_Abortion.htm)
Green Party view on abortion.
- Democrats believe that the war on Iraq should be over & that the nation should focus more on terrorist acts. (http://www.ontheissues.org/Celeb/Democratic_Party_War_+_Peace.htm)
- Republicans believe that by continuing the war in Iraq we will limit the space terrorists have to operate in, therefore bringing the war on terrorist end closer. (http://www.ontheissues.org/Celeb/Republican_Party_War_+_Peace.htm)
- The Constitution Party believes that the war on terrorism is an excuse for the government to spend beyond it's income. (http://www.constitutionparty.com/terrorism-and-personal-liberty/)
- The Green Party agrees with complete withdrawal of U.S. military forces & mercenaries, under safe conditions & UN supervision. (http://www.ontheissues.org/Celeb/Green_Party_War_+_Peace.htm)
Green Party view on war.
- Democrats believe that the individual right to bear arms is an important part of the American tradition. They will try to focus on effective enforcement of existing laws, especially strengthening the background check system. (http://www.ontheissues.org/Celeb/Democratic_Party_Gun_Control.htm)
- Republicans believe that the right to bear arms is a constitutional right & federal licensing & national gun registration is a violation of the 2nd amendment & an invasion of privacy. They also believe in the right to obtain & store ammunition without registration. (http://www.ontheissues.org/Celeb/Republican_Party_Gun_Control.htm)
- The Constitution Party believes the right to bear arms is inherit in the right of self-defense, defense of the family, & defense against tyranny. They oppose attempts to prohibit ownership of guns by law-abiding citizens, & stand against all laws which would require the registration of guns or ammunition. (http://www.constitutionparty.com/gun-control/)
- The Green Party believes we should restrict police use of guns & all forms of control weapons. They also believe states must pass legislation that reduce & restrict police possession & use of such methods of control. (http://www.ontheissues.org/Celeb/Green_Party_Gun_Control.htm)
Green Party view on gun control.
- Democrats believe undocumented immigrants within our borders who clear a background check, work hard & pay taxes should have a path to earn full participation in America. They also believe in punishing employers who recruit undocumented workers in order to exploit them. (http://www.ontheissues.org/celeb/democratic_party_immigration.htm)
- Republicans believe in increasing border patrol to better ensure that immigrants enter the U.S. only through legal means. They also oppose any form of amnesty for those who intentionally violate the law. (http://www.ontheissues.org/Celeb/Republican_Party_Immigration.htm)
- The Constitution Party believe that the immigrants receiving public assistance is an unconstitutional drain on the federal Treasury. They also call upon the use of U.S. troops to protect the state against invasion by immigrants/ illegal aliens. (http://www.constitutionparty.com/immigration/)
- The Green Party believes in undocumented immigrants should be granted a legal status which includes the chance to become U.S. citizens. They oppose blaming immigrants for social & economic problems. (http://www.ontheissues.org/Celeb/Green_Party_Immigration.htm)