Notes from Dr. Irvin
Your Weekly eNews for February 4
Hello Parents and Guardians,
Important Term 3 Calendar Changes
Term 3 Dates
To better align with our school calendar and Term dates, we are moving the end of Term 3 to March 18. This move allows students to complete Term 3 final assessments prior to Spring Break.
- Final Assessments for Term 3 will now occur on March 17 and 18. Students will follow the normal daily schedule for M,T,R,F.
- March 17 is no longer an early release or virtual learning day.
- Term 4 begins on March 29.
- In order to meet DESE state-required hours of instructional time, any inclement weather days are to be conducted as asynchronous virtual learning days. There will be no live Zooms; rather, teachers will assign work to be done independently.
Please see the calendar changes below, or visit our school calendar online.
Spring Parent Conferences
We are moving our Spring Parent Conferences to February 24 and 25 to better align with the progress cycle. The end of Progress 3 is on February 18, so this gives parents an opportunity to discuss progress with teachers in the middle of Term 3 rather than towards the end.
Conferences will be virtual and scheduled via PTCFast on the following dates and times:
February 24 & 25
5 – 8 p.m.
You will receive communication with a link to sign up via PTCFast approximately two weeks prior.
If you have any questions about the new dates, please call us at 314.963.6400.
Term 3 Calendar Changes
Art Students Honored
We have THREE Scholastic Art Award winners this year! Congratulations to Anna Barr, Norah Rohlfing, and Sadie Coalier--two Gold Keys (which will go onto the national competition!) and an Honorable Mention.
- Anna Barr: Digital Art, Anna’s Natural Habitat, Honorable Mention
- Norah Rohlfing: Drawing & Illustration, Talk Show, Gold Key
- Sadie Coalier: Painting, Not A Self Portrait, Gold Key
This is a very competitive award, the following blurb was taken from the announcement site (belinblank.org/scholastic):
"We are so pleased to see the amazing talent that these students represent. Remember that only the very best artists and writers earn awards through Scholastic. It is very competitive and you should be proud of this recognition of your work. As a reminder:
- Gold Keys are awarded to the top 5-7% of all entries;
- Silver Keys are awarded to the top 7-10% of all entries;
- Honorable Mention is awarded to the top 10-15% of all entries."
Award winners will be invited to our virtual Scholastic Awards Celebration on Sunday, March 7, 2021.
Show the Love!
Show the Love
The Parents' Club's virtual fundraising event is going on now through February 14th! Through Show the Love we hope to raise AWARENESS about the impact you've made for the students of Webster Groves High School by sharing positive stories and raise FUNDS to continue our tradition of excellence to support educational enrichment grants, student scholarships, and a safe and fun Senior party!
How do I donate?
You can donate on the Parents' Club website. When donating, you can do so in recognition of a class. Second, you can send us a name or kind note to be shared on walls of WGHS!
Why is This Important?
Webster Groves High School thrives because of the strong support shown by families, friends, and alumni. For decades we have been a school that provides a wide array of opportunities, thanks to a strong partnership between teachers and the community of Webster Groves. In the midst of a pandemic, the students and staff of WGHS need your support now more than ever.
To Show the Love, go to https://wghsparentsclub.org/products/stlovewg
Download the Canvas Parent App to Stay Up-to-Date on Your Child's Grades and Assignments
With the Canvas Parent app, parents can:
- View the list of courses in which their students are enrolled. For each course, parents can see course information, assignments (title, due date, and instructions), grades, and events. WGHS teachers primarily use Canvas for posting grades regularly.
- Set alerts to view course announcements and/or receive reminders for a specific assignment or event (sent to mobile devices as push notifications).
- Monitor their child’s performance on Canvas assignments.
Download the Canvas app on your iOS or Android device. You must create a parent account once you install the app and use a pairing code from your child to become an observer. Please visit here for detailed information on Canvas and how to become an observer. We have also attached a help file below.
Term 3 Schedule
Inclement Weather and School Closing Information
Should bad weather or other adverse conditions prompt us to consider closing schools, the District will make a decision as early as possible. Information will be available through the following outlets:
- Phone calls to all families through SchoolMessenger
- Local media: KMOV TV (Channel 4), KSDK TV (Channel 5), KTVI (Channel 2) and KMOX radio (AM 1120)
- District website www.webster.k12.mo.us
- Facebook https://www.facebook.com/WebsterGrovesSD
- Twitter @WebsterGrovesSD
The Webster Groves School District will consider closing schools early due to emerging weather and/or road conditions that will make it unsafe for children to be dismissed at the regular time. If school is dismissed early, all after school programs and activities, including Adventure Club, will be canceled. Non-district related events will also be canceled (ex: YMCA’s Hoopsters).
Transportation provided by First Student, the Voluntary Interdistrict Choice Corporation, and ZipCare will transport children home at dismissal.
Unless special circumstances exist, the high school will be dismissed at 12 p.m.
Delayed School Start Time
The Webster Groves School District will consider opening schools with a “late start” on inclement days when roads are expected to be cleared within a few hours. This option would keep children, families and staff off the roads during the busy morning rush hour. A late start would mean that all schools would open one hour and thirty minutes later than their usual start times. A quick breakfast would be available for students. Transportation provided by First Student, the Voluntary Interdistrict Choice Corporation, and ZipCare will be scheduled to pick up students one hour and thirty minutes later than their regular pick up times.
All schools and Adventure Club would close at their regular times.
WGHS Delayed Start Time:
Student Arrival Time: 9:10 a.m.
School Start Time: 9:25 a.m.
WGHS Term 3 Blended 4x4 Daily Schedule Delayed Start due to Inclement Weather
This schedule is only applicable in the event of an announcement by the district of an inclement weather delayed start.
Building opens at 9:10 a.m. for Morning Session
Building opens at 12:30 for Afternoon Session
A Note from the Nurse
- Please keep your student home if notified they were exposed to COVID-19
- Please keep your student home if a COVID-19 test is pending in student or household member
- Please keep your student home if your student OR another member of your household, including siblings, is exhibiting symptoms that need to be verified as non-COVID-19 versus COVID-19.
Free Breakfast and Lunch Available for All WGSD Students
During in person learning and distance learning, Webster Groves Students will continue to have access to FREE breakfast and FREE lunch Monday-Friday.
Meals are available for pick-up at Webster Groves High School and home delivery. Students who have opted for in person learning, will be able choose their meal choice daily in the classroom.
For home delivery or meal pick up , please sign up using the below link
Please contact us at email@example.com with any questions.
Did You Know?
Asynchronous learning time management is essential to your student's success. Please click on the document below for some great time management/study tips organized by the school’s Social Work Practicum Student, Michaela Mense. Also listed below are links to resources for at-home learning.
Counseling Department Updates
Juniors! Mark Your Calendars
All juniors will take the ACT on Tuesday, March 30, 2021. This is at no cost to students and no registration on your part is necessary. More information will be shared as we get closer to the test date.
“The College Search” A Presentation for Juniors and Junior Parents-- Wednesday, February 10, 2021
During this program, WGHS College and Career Counselors and a panel of college admissions representatives will give juniors and their parents tips and advice on conducting their college search. Due to viewing limitations with a live Zoom, this will be a prerecorded presentation. A link will be shared on or before February 10th.
Scholarship Information for Seniors
Applications for the 2021 Webster Groves local scholarships are now available. Please visit our Counseling Webpage here for more information and instructions to apply. The deadline to apply for all local scholarships is February 16, 2021.
St. Louis Area Scholarship Search St. Louis Graduates Scholarship Central (Note: Many of these applications have not opened up yet so keep checking back.) This is also where you can apply for Interest Free Student Loans from Scholarship Foundation of St. Louis.
Where can you find other scholarships? There are a number of scholarship databases out there. While it can seem a little overwhelming, it can be very rewarding if you put some time into it.
Upcoming College Admissions Testing
The ACT—Saturday, February 6, 2021 (registration closed)
The SAT—Saturday, March 13, 2021
Register at www.sat.org by February 12, 2021.
As a reminder, all juniors will take the ACT at school on Tuesday, March 30, 2021. Test fees are paid for by WGSD and no registration on your part is required.
As a reminder, WGHS school counselors and social workers are working to support the academic, social and emotional, and post-secondary planning needs of our students. If you or your child are having difficulties or need assistance, please reach out to their counselor or social worker.
A-E Alex King (firstname.lastname@example.org)
For students or families having technology issues, please do the following:
- For specific Canvas issues, contact Ms. Liz Forderhase at email@example.com or call her at 314.963.6400, ext. 11928.
- Below is a link to the technology support ticket system we are utilizing to help give our learners and families the most efficient system to help us keep track of technology support requests. Use this site to submit when you are having technology difficulties with your child's equipment/access/accounts/etc.
As always, you are welcome to contact us at 314.963.6400 for assistance.
We have now moved all COVID-19 information to a separate link. We will update this as we receive new information.