- The Crucible takes place in Salem, Massachusetts in 1692
- Salem under a theocratic form of government
- we learn that Reverend Parris' daughter is sick
- rumors of witchcraft are running through Salem about Betty because her sickness is unknown
- Abigail, Parris' niece, Betty and a group of girls were seen dancing in the woods by Reverend Parris
- Parris jumped out of a bush when he sees the girls dancing, startled them, and Betty has been sick ever since
- Mrs. Putnam is introduced and we learn that she gave birth to eight children and seven of them died as babies
- Abigail drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor and she threatens to kill her friends if they told anyone
- We also learn that Abigail and John Proctor had an affair
- Tituba was accused of getting Betty sick because Abigail accused her
- Becuase Tituba was accused she is given the choice to confess her relations with the devil, or she will be killed.
- Parris felt like he was being persecuted everywhere he went.
- John Proctor is not easily led or persuaded by the foolishness happening in the town
- At the end of act 1 the girls who were caught dancing started "crying out" peoples names accusing them of witchcraft