Mrs. McCann's Grade One
Weekly Newsletter: WEEK 19
Upcoming Important Dates
- Tuesday, Jan. 31 - NO SCHOOL
- Friday, Feb. 3 - FULL DAY FRIDAY
- Friday, Feb. 10 and 17 - 11:40 Dismissal (Don't forget to pack a snack)
- Thursday, Feb. 9 - 100th Day Capes are due (see below for more info.)
- Friday, Feb. 10 - 100th Day Celebration
- Monday, Feb. 20 - NO SCHOOL: Family Day
- Friday, Feb. 24 - FULL DAY FRIDAY
- LITERACY WEEK: Literacy week was a success. Thank you for sending your gently used books in for our Book Swap and for coming in to volunteer for the Board Game Afternoon. Without parent support these types of celebrations would not be possible. We also reached our 20,000 minutes of reading and earned a whole-school pajama day. The kids were so excited about this!!!
- 100TH DAY CAPES: With the 100th day of school approaching, we are in our beginning preparations. On Monday, Jan. 30, I will be sending home plastic capes for your child to decorate with 100 things. Attached will be a letter explaining the activity and some ideas. These capes will be due back on Feb. 9. Please contact me if you have any further questions.
- 100TH DAY: The 100th Day Celebration will take place on Friday, February 10. We will be having fun centers in the classroom and a treat will be sent home at the end of the day. We are hoping to get a visit from Zero the Hero!!!
Here are a few things that have been "happening" in the classroom. These are great discussion starters with your child.
1) Talk about the new characters we were introduced to for the following digraph and vowel combination: "th" (Thick Thorny Thing) and "ir, er, ur" (Whirling Irving). Have your child show your their gestures and them come up with some words that have these sounds.
2) Ask your child about the different strategies we have been using in math that help us answer addition and subtraction questions.