BURLESON ELEMENTARY NEWS
August 19, 2021
MEET THE PRINCIPAL, DR. TABITHA COFFMAN
It is an honor to introduce myself as your principal of Burleson Elementary School and welcome you to this extraordinary school community. I can assure you that I share in this school community’s commitment to caring for your children each day while providing them a world-class learning environment.
I am an experienced elementary teacher and administrator, but in addition to my role as an educator, I am first and foremost a mother and wife. In August, my son, Klinton, began seventh grade here in Meadow and my husband, Chase, operates our ranch and trucking business.
The 2021-2022 school year will mark my 14th year in education. I am a small-town graduate of Eula High School and spent most of my career near my hometown in Abilene ISD.
My role as an elementary principal, where I have been most fulfilled in my life’s work, provides me the chance to work collaboratively with teachers daily, while also remaining connected to young students learning and growing in the classroom. I firmly believe that every child can excel and that the partnership between home and school builds confidence in students to use their powers to shape their future and the future of our community and our nation.
I hope that you are excited for this coming school year! It is going to be a fun year learning together.
I wholeheartedly welcome your conversation and positive input throughout this year. Let us always keep our students as the primary focus of our work. I look forward to seeing you or connecting with you in the fall and celebrating our collective successes during the 2021-2022 school year.
Dr. Tabitha Coffman
MEET THE ELEMENTARY SECRETARY, SANDY CRUZ
We love being GiGi and G-Cool to these awesome little men.
I'm so excited and know this will be a great school year!
My phenomenal Pre-K students had a Great week!
- Folders will go out on Friday.
- Don't forget to send folder back every Tuesday.
- Please remember to send a water bottle/cup every day.
- We will be visiting the library next week.
- Books will need to be returned on Tuesday.
- Please send change of clothes if you have not already.
- Snack chart is out. Please check list.
- Please send a headset for computers if you have not already.
Thank you, parents, for all your support!
Mrs. A 😊
Kindergarten has had a wonderful beginning to the school year! Each and every student has been eager to learn new things along with having a great attitude each day.
Returning students and new to the district students have done well with getting back in the routine of being at school and all that it entails to be a student.
- Just a few reminders:-be sure to send back the two orange papers that were sent home the night of meet the teacher or on the first day of school
- be sure to send a complete change of clothes, if you haven't already.
- be sure to check ClassDojo frequently for pictures and important messages.
If you need to reach me, you can message me on ClassDojo, email me, or call the school. 🙂
As always, thank you for sharing your children with me!
We are moving along and learning a lot! I have just a couple of reminders.
- · Phonics homework every night.
- · Sight words to practice for a test every Friday.
- · +0’s to practice for a test tomorrow.
- · We will begin +1’s next week.
- · Reading log, please read a book every night.
Things are going great!
If you need anything, please call the school or message me on Dojo!
It’s a great week to learn something new!
Reading:- We are learning academic words such as: Setting, Characters, Resolution, Story Plot, Infer, and applying it to Virtues.
Math-We are working on adding and subtracting.
Writing-What is a common and proper noun? Ask your kiddos!
Science/Social Studies- American Symbols and What is matter?
- Reading logs are coming home THURSDAY. They are monthly so it will be due Tuesday August 31.
- Make sure your child is reading over the spelling pattern list every night.
- 3rd grade is a big step up from 2nd grade, watch for a letter coming home soon that explains everything.
- MAP testing is happening this week so be looking for a message about going over those scores soon.
In math we are learning about place value. We are practicing writing numbers in different ways such as expanded from, word form and standard form. We are also learning how to compare number and order numbers from least to greatest and greatest to least. We have made our first set of math fact cards. They will go home every night so your child can practice them. The cards need to be brought back each day to use during stations. Our first math fact test will be NEXT FRIDAY.
In science we are learning about properties of matter. We are experimenting with sinking and floating, temperature, mass, texture, and magnetism.
- Please sign up for class dojo if you have not, this is how we communicate with you. Check out our class stories to see what we are learning in class!!!!!
The second week is off to a great start! We were delayed getting to the library due to testing, so reading logs will begin going home NEXT week starting Tuesday. Just a reminder, reading at least 20 minutes every night is a homework assignment.
- Have your child log into dojo so they can hatch their creature!
- We've had great success being on time every day, let's continue that. Class starts at 7:45.
- Read, read, read every night to be ready to take AR Tests.
- If you haven't brought headphones to school, please do so!
Please reach out to me on dojo or call the office if you need anything.
Thank you so much,
Jenna Wesley (ELAR/SS)
4th Grade Math
We are having an amazing year so far. We have been spending some time reviewing multiplication and division. Please have your child practice multiplication facts (up to 10s) at home. We have been learning about place value up to the hundred millions place. We have been writing numbers in expanded form, standard form, and word form. Please ask your child to show you what they know about place value. 🙂
4h Grade Science
We have been discussing the basics of science. This week, we are focusing on lab safety. Please check your child's folder for a science safety contract that needs to be filled out and returned so that we may begin doing labs. I'm super excited to have this amazing 4th grade class this year. I look forward to what we can accomplish.
5th Grade Science
We have had a wonderful start to the school year. My science time is filled with excitement and many questions. This week we have been discussing lab safety. Please check your child's folder for a science safety contract that needs to be filled out and returned so that we may begin doing labs. Please encourage your child to spend some time observing things in nature. It's going to be an amazing year!
Fifth Grade Chaps
-We just wrapped up the beginning of the year MAP testing. This gives us a good starting point of what we know, what we need to review and what we need to learn.
-We have slowly jumped into our 5th grade math curriculum. We reviewed multiplying a 2-digit number by a 2-digit number. Then we made it exciting and worked on multiplying a 3-digit by a 2-digit number.
-Not knowing math fact has slowed down a few students when multiplying a 3-digit by a 2-digit number. Please have your student practice their math facts every night for about 5 minutes. We are having weekly math fact quizzes, too.
Thank you for all your support.
I have truly enjoyed getting to know these kiddos the past few weeks. They make my job so easy because they are such good students! I feel truly blessed to have them as my students. We are digging in, have been learning about author's purpose, and different themes in books. We also have been writing every day, responding to our reading and the students are already showing growth. We took our MAP tests this week and they did very well!
In Social Studies, we are talking about the exploration of The New World. They are all very interested in this topic and are working together to understand what it was like for early explorers in America.
- We are taking grades on their Reading Logs which are sent home every day, so please be sure your child is reading every night for a minimum of 20 minutes.
- Please send your child to school with a water bottle.
- Please be sure to have your child in school by 7:45 as that is when the tardy bell rings. We start right away so each minute of time is precious and very important to your child's learning.
I have truly, truly enjoyed my time with your children already and I cannot wait to get to know them even more as the year goes on.
SIGN UP FOR MINI CHEER CAMP!!
Please make all checks payable to: Meadow ISD.
Hope to see you there!