Entertainment in Ancient Greece
By: Kate Stahl
- Entertainment in Ancient Greece has heavily influenced our entertainment in Modern Day America.
- We still do many thing they did.
- Some of our entertainment practices are different than they did back then.
- Some things are still the exact way.
- They played many games we still play today. The games were much more dangerous then.
- Some games are long jumping, discus throwing, wrestling, and boxing
- They used weights for long jumping to go further.
- In the begging of the games, there would be a sprint around the stadium.
- Back then, only men could watch and play in the Olympics.
- The Olympics were in honor of the god Zeus. Zeus was the most powerful god there was.
Fun Facts About The Olympics
- The Olympics were every four years and it still is today.
- In the games, all of the player couldn't play with clothes on.
- In the stands, there was no sitting room so everyone had to stand.
- The original games started around 776 B.C.
- Over 40,000 people would come to watch the olympics.
- A theater was usually built on a hillside so everyone could hear what they were saying.
- The performers always wore masks and costumes.
- They had to wear costumes so people that were sitting far away could tell who is who.
- Only three men could be on a stage at a time.
- The shows they performed were either comedy or tragedies.
- Many people from all over Greece would come to watch a performance.
- Theater was important to everyone because it could explain something in life.
Fun Facts about Theater
- Theater was invented in Greece.
- Not a lot of women watched the performances. Mostly men.
- Only men could perform.
- Theater was in honor of the god Dionysus. Dionysus was the god of wine.
- At first, getting into the theater used to be free. It then cost two obols (their kind of money) because they needed to pay taxes.
- Music was for many different things.
- Music was one third of kids school curriculum.
- They learned how to sing and dance to music.
- Both women and men could listen, dance, sing, and play music.
- Different instruments were used for different kinds of events.
- Harsh instruments were used for war and calm instruments were used for leisure.
- Music has changed but still remained the same in many ways.
Sports and Games
- Many people loved games. They played many games.
- Some games included a ball.
- They would catch a ball, bounce it, and more.
- Some games were sporting events.
- Some games were for war. They were Races in Armor and Chariot Racing.
- Everyone would watch these games and cheer for them.
- Many games are different from back then but some are the same.
Fun Facts about Sports and Games
- There were games for war because they didn't know if someone was going to attack.
- They also played games for war because they needed to stay fit.
- In conclusion, many things have changed but some things have still remained the same.
- We still do the Olympics, theater, play music and still play games and sports.
- Some things that have changed is that women could be one stage for a performance and can be in the Olympics.
- We owe Ancient Greece for most of our entertainment today.
Sports and Games