Fork Shoals Library Ledger
News for the week of April 25, 2016
Get ready for Star Wars Day!
Fiction Addiction (bookstore located behind the Haywood Mall) is hosting a Star Wars Day party on May 4th at 4pm. There will be a Star Wars storytime, Star Wars-themed refreshments, and other activities. If you arrive in costume, you'll also receive 10% off your entire purchase!
May the Fourth be with you!
Free Comic Book Day is on its way!
Visit these local comic book shops to get your free comic books!
- Borderlands – 1434 Laurens Road, Greenville
- Richard’s Comics & Collectables – 1214 Laurens Road, Greenville (This site will have lots of guest artists/authors, a kids' coloring contest, a basement sale, cosplayers, and door prizes!)
- Planet Comics – 2704 N. Main Street, Anderson (This is where Ms. Knight will be!)
- 2nd and Charles - 2465 Laurens Road, Greenville
For more information on Free Comic Book Day, click here.
The 4th Quarter Reading Challenge is on!
List books (with page numbers) as you complete them. Add your total number of pages read during the 4th quarter. Please print clearly and total your pages at the end. If you need extra reading logs, click here.
Book of the Week: Hoop Genius
Hoop Genius: How a Desperate Teacher and a Rowdy Gym Class Invented Basketball, written by John Coy and illustrated by Joe Morse, was a nominee for the 2015-2016 South Carolina Picture Book Award.
Hoop Genius introduces readers young and old to James Naismith, the inventor of basketball. This young teacher, eager to find a way to keep an energetic group of boys engaged (and injury-free), used a soccer ball and a couple of peach baskets to create a fun new game. This game would eventually be spread far and wide and become one of the most popular sports in the world, all thanks to one teacher who wanted to make his students happy.
This informative picture book could encourage young readers to do further research on the origin of this sport (and others) and could even inspire them to create their own new games to play.
Dates to Remember:
- April 25 - Snow makeup days - School IS in session!
- April 26-28 - SC Ready testing (3rd-5th grades)
- April 27 - Bellacino's Night
- April 29 - Spirit Day; Fresh Fruit Friday; Progress reports; Spring Spectacular, 4-8pm
- April 30 - Antique Tractor and Talent Show, 10am
- May 6 - Spirit Day
State Testing (Grades 3-5 only)
SC Ready is not timed and requires students to answer multiple choice questions. The writing day is a text dependent question.
SCPASS, also untimed, will require students to answer multiple choice questions and will be computer-based. Fourth and fifth graders will take SCPASS during the following dates: May 11-13 (5th Grade) and May 16-18 (4th Grade).
SC Ready and SCPASS tests are aligned to state standards and what is taught in your child’s classroom. Your assistance in ensuring that students are at school and on-time and avoiding doctor’s appointments during the testing windows is greatly appreciated.