pros and cons
What the heck is it ?
- The Keystone XL Pipeline Project is a proposed 1,179-mile (1,897 km), 36-inch-diameter crude oil pipeline, beginning in Hardisty, Alta., and extending south to Steele City, Neb. This pipeline is a critical infrastructure project for the energy security of the United States and for strengthening the American economy.
This pipeline will allow Canadian and American oil producers more access to the large refining markets found in the American Midwest and along the U.S. Gulf Coast.
The pipeline will have capacity to transport 830,000 barrels of oil per day to Gulf Coast and Midwest refineries, reducing American dependence on oil from Venezuela and the Middle East by up to 40 per cent.
What does this mean for us ?
- This affects the land and wildlife that lives in the area that they will be building the pipe line , as well the farmers and other rural recreation that takes place where they are building it.
- 850 miles (1,368 km) in the United States (Phillips County, Mont. to Steele City, Neb.)
- Anticipated cost of US$5.3 billion
- Projected in-service date of 2015
The Impact that means greater demands
- We do need a pick up in our economy , creating jobs and not having to rely on other countries for oil
- We could the price in oil drop or a slow decrease versus what we see now