January 9, 2019
Happy New Year!
Sign up to Volunteer at India Hook!
UPCOMING SPIRIT NIGHTS
Come join us at McAlisters Thursday, Jan 15th from 5-9pm. Make sure to mention India Hook Spirit
We have scheduled a wide variety of spirit nights this semester. IHES PTO receives a percentage of proceeds from meals purchased on the scheduled nights. Each restaurant has different times and information. To get updates and reminders about spirit nights sign up for our text system by texting: @ihespto2 to 81010
January 15 – McAlisters
January 25 – Kidcreate Studio
January 30 – Shomars
February 5 – Shane’s Rib Shack
March 8 – Kidcreate Studio
March 14 – Chick fil a Spirit Night
March 27 – Shomars
April 4 – McAlisters
Box Tops will be collected Every Other Friday. The next collection day is this Friday, January 11th. Please send them in an envelope or ziploc bag with your student’s name and teacher.
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
11 BOX TOP Collection Day
15 Spirit Night – McAlisters
25 Spirit Night – Kidcreate Studio (pre-register)
30 Spirit Night - Showmars
5 Spirit Night – Shane’s Rib Shack
PTO CONTACT INFORMATION:
TEXT REMIND SYSTEM: text: @ihespto2 to 81010
Board Approves School Calendars
At the December 17, 2018, Board of Trustees business meeting, the 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 school district calendars were approved. In the event SC State Law is changed to allow an adjustment to the school start date, district administration may request a change to this calendar. However, in being considerate of all involved, should it become an option to adjust the start date district officials will be mindful of the timing and the amount of flexibility allowed.
On Wednesdays students will enter the school as usual. If they eat breakfast at school then they should go there first. Otherwise, students will put their bookbags in their classrooms and begin to walk the hallways. We know that exercise increases blood flow and oxygen to the brain and we're excited about this opportunity to improve our own health and academic learning. We will walk each Wednesday until 7:30 a.m. when students will enter the classroom to start their day.
Girls on The Run Registration Opens January 14!! That is NEXT WEEK!
Registration will be FIRST COME FIRST SERVE, unless noted as Lottery. This means that registration fees will be charged automatically at the time of registration. Our First Come first serve sites will be open from January 14th and will stay open until the season starts on February 11th or until all the spots have been filled.
Our Lottery sites (listed below) will be able to register between January 14 and January 24th. We will then run our lottery and place girls on January 25th. This means that your card will not be charged until January 25th if your child is placed on the team. If your girl is not placed on the team, you will not be charged.
The sites that fill teams (or multiple teams) will stay lottery in an effort to make registration available to as many girls as possible. The other sites that don’t fill up as quickly, will stay open longer in attempt to help the schools market to girls and give them extra time to register.
How will this look?
If your site is FIRST COME FIRST SERVE: You will enter your payment info and your card will be charged automatically. This means your child has been awarded a spot on the team immediately.
If your site is listed as LOTTERY: You will enter your card info, but will not be charged immediately. You will receive a confirmation email that your girl has been added to the Lottery list. This email does not guarantee a spot for your girl; it confirms that your registration has been received. When we run the lottery on January 25th, your card will be charged only if your girl is awarded a spot. You will receive an email letting you know the status of your daughter on January 25th.
Please contact us BEFORE registration opens if you need to make alternate payment arrangements. Scholarship options will be explained during the online registration process.)
As of January 7th our LOTTERY SITES are as follows:
Dobys Bridge (need additional coach for second team)
Ebinport (Need Coaches)
Fort Mill Elementary
Gold Hill Elementary
Great Falls Elementary
Harrisburg (will need additional coaches for a second team)
Indian Land Elementary
We will NOT OPEN registration for teams that are still in need of coaches. Coach girls are guaranteed a spot on the team. If you are interested in coaching or would like more information, contact Jennifer, firstname.lastname@example.org
Sole Mates for 2019!
SoleMates is an exciting way that you can help support the continued journey of GOTR Tri-County. GOTR SoleMates are men and women who pursue individual goals, such as running races, to raise money for our council.
- The SoleMates campaign will run between Jan 15 & April 30.
- All SoleMates are invited to join us in our Spring 5K.
- You will have GOTR Tri-County support along the way.
- Your goal will be to get 15 people to donate $15 as you raise money earn rewards.
- Money raised goes towards much needed scholarships in under served areas.
- Over $380,000 in financial assistance has been given each semester
- We provide financial assistance to 38-42% of girls enrolled in GOTR
There is so much to celebrate in our 15th anniversary, help us keep the celebration going!
Learn more about SoleMates and sign up today here
Join us for information sessions on January 12th or 13th to learn more. Sessions will be from 10am-11am at the Girls on the Run offices in Rock Hill. Register by clicking here
Questions? Contact Heather Kidwell
District Choice Fair on January 12
- Choice Program Fair at South Pointe- 10:00-12:00
2018-2019 Choice Application Dates for 2019-2020 School Year
Dec. 3 Choice Application Window Opens
Jan. 12 District Expo (10:00 a.m. -12:00 p.m. at South Pointe High School)
Feb. 28 Choice Window Closes
On or before Mar. 29 Notification of Results
Important Weather Information
Friday Lunch Visits
We will have tables set up on kindergarten patio or in the center of the building for families to eat while they visit. Parents may also come have lunch on their child's birthday.
Rock Hill School District Wellness Policy
As a wellness focused school we are thrilled that our school board has approved a wellness policy. Some of the most important points of the policy are listed below.
• Candy and food will not be used as a reward for students.
• Children will have access to water during the day to stay hydrated.
• Special classroom snacks will follow the healthy snacks guidelines. Please see our website for more information about what is allowed.
• Non-food birthday recognition items are allowed if you would like to provide a treat on your child’s birthday. (Cupcakes, cookies, cakes, etc. will not be allowed.)
• Any outside snacks provided to children during school will follow our district wellness guidelines and be in sealed labeled containers with nutritional information clearly labeled. (Pizza does not meet healthy guidelines.)
• Physical activity (P.E. and Recess) cannot be withheld from a student.
• Physical activity cannot be used as a form of punishment
• All fundraisers must follow the guidelines stated in the district wellness policy.
• Valentine’s Day parties will offer a one-day exemption from wellness policy, however, all food must be clearly labeled with ingredients and nutritional information
• No home-baked items can be served to children.
• At India Hook, you may choose to bring lunch for your child occasionally on Fridays or their actual birthday. Please understand that food cannot be shared with other children.
School Improvement Committee Meeting Dates
- January 15 at 4:30 at India Hook in Media Center
- February 19 at 4:30 at India Hook in Media Center
- March 19 at 4:30 at India Hook in Media Center
- April 23 at 4:30 at India Hook in Media Center
- May 21 at 4:30 at India Hook in Media Center