Weekly Family News | November 28, 2021
Staff Celebrating Each Other! Here's our Staff Selected Teacher of the Month...Mrs. Abbo (2nd Grade)!!! Congratulations!
- It's getting cold outside. Be sure to dress your children appropriately. We still may have outdoor recess unless it is below 32 degrees.
- Please try not to drop off your child too early. They are cold. The doors do not open until 8:05am since school does not start until 8:15am.
- The change in weather also means that it is likely that our staff will not be outside some mornings to manage the car line. We will be standing right in the lobby to receive the children. We will go off the "honor system"...trusting that you are still completing our daily COVID screener (Clear to Go or the paper to send with your child).
- Our final fall picture retake/makeup day is tomorrow, Monday, November 29th from 9-12pm. Virtual parents, you may bring your children in to take their picture.
- Students are accumulating too many absences and tardies. This is not helping our children. We can only do our job if children are at school, on time, every day.
- Report card #1 is available in your MISTAR Parent Portal. If you need assistance, please call our main office. Click this link for directions: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zE_l3MF_2Uei9Sa6YH-cKE7Lgn7CJjGu1fWh4AQUjwM/edit?usp=sharing
- Any student who received all unsatisfactory grades will be receiving a letter from the principal, Mrs. Murphy.
What's Happening in our Schoolhouse?
- Are you ready?! Our fall bookfair will be December 6-10th! More information will be coming home this week! A book is a great gift for our children for this holiday season!
- Our Kindergartners in Ms. Dear's class demonstrated that they know how to show numbers up to 10 on their Thanksgiving counting turkeys!
- Our 3rd & 4th Grade teachers know that they create the best bulletin boards to decorate our hallways! This is a creatively cute board by Ms. Tienda's 4th grade class..."New Phone, Who Dis?!"...as students disguised their Thanksgiving turkeys!
We Need Menfolk!
Journey to Healing
They have free parent support groups and an emergency crisis helpline.
For those who celebrate Christmas...
USPS Operation Santa Is Now Accepting Letters for 2021 Program! It’s Time To Start Sending in Wish Requests for the Holidays. Follow this link for more information:
State of Emergency: Our Children are Underachieving
In reading, 91% of our children are 1 or more grade levels behind, 53% of them are 2 or more grade levels behind, and 19% (almost 100) of our children are 3 or more grade levels behind.
In math, 97% of students are at least 1 grade behind, 60% are at least 2, and 28% are 3 or more behind.
Let me be clear: THIS IS A STATE OF EMERGENCY.
We need more of you to engage with us. Provided below are the things we are asking parents to do at home to make sure that our children can read. Check in with your child's teacher for their IREADY information so they can practice at home, check in with the teacher for any other things you can do to support your child, and review their report card.
Addressing Parent Concerns
Please click the button to find our district's communication protocol. This provides info for parents to know who to call and when, if an issue arises.