PQ Tuesday Newsday
August 8, 2023
Dear PQ Families,
Tuesday Newsday is back! We hope you are actively enjoying your summer and using this time to relax, rejuvenate, and spend time with your family. August comes with many mixed emotions; don't worry, you have plenty of summer left to enjoy, but it is an excellent time to start dipping your toes back into the school year and all that comes with it.
This school year comes with great excitement from the staff and myself. We see this as an opportunity to build upon our work from last year and continue to explore and develop new thinking. At PQ, we look forward to continuing our growth with the guidance and leadership of Dr. Wilson.
As we plan for the upcoming year, we are committed to our Profile of a 5th Grader work that will drive our programming and decision-making. The PQ family will continue developing our ability to think critically and creatively, work collaboratively, communicate effectively, continuously learn and improve, and grow as citizens. The Profile of a 5th Grader will connect and strengthen the hard work that happens each day. We will also continue focusing on high-quality instructional practices and fostering student achievement.
One big piece of achieving our goals here at PQ is having parents and the community engaged and actively participating in the educational process. With that being said, we will continue our tradition of assigning the important task of the week in the month of August. We want to be certain all stakeholders have the ability to access the various apps and forms required to stay connected. Please see below for this week's important task!
We look forward to your partnership and collaboration to make this school a successful experience for your child. See you all in a few short weeks!
Roy Martin & Dawn Snowdon
A Big Welcome to Our New PQ Team Members!
Please join us in welcoming the following people to PQ!
Marielle Palombella brings to PQ over 10 years of teaching experience at the elementary level. She has taught in ENL, ICT, and Accelerated Classrooms. Ms. Palombella has her masters in Special Education and has been trained in Fundations and Science of Reading. Ms.Palombella will be our new 4th grade teacher.
Melissa Widrick will be our new FLES teacher for grades 3-5. She comes to us with over 17 years of teaching experience. Ms. Widrick has most recently been a Spanish teacher in the Rye City School District for grades 1 thru 5.
Sarah Domingo is a North Salem parent. Ms. Domingo will be our new full time paraprofessional and brings to the school extensive training in Reading techniques.
** Next week we hope to announce two leave replacement teachers that will be hired for the Fall, so keep an eye out!
Important Task #1 -eSD Parent Portal
eSD Parent Portal is an important app we use throughout your child's entire K-12 experience. At PQ, you get your child’s teacher assignment and report cards from the Parent Portal. At the MSHS, you will get your child’s schedule, grades, etc. You create this account in Kindergarten and it remains the same for your career in the district.
**This week we would like you to log on to the eSD Parent Portal. When you log on, you will be asked to verify/update your information. It is very IMPORTANT that you do this because we need to have:
- accurate phone numbers to reach you
- accurate emails to send you information
- updated and necessary emergency contacts in case we are ever unable to reach you in an emergency (emergency contacts should be people other than yourself)
Once you update your information, make sure you CLICK the VERIFY button.
If you are new to the district, you will need your child's ID number before logging into Parent Portal. Incoming Kindergarten parents will receive a letter in the mail this week that contains their kindergartener's ID number. Parents of students who are new to the school in 1st-5th grades will receive their student ID number via email soon.
If you have returning students, you would have already created a login for Parent Portal. We still need you to log in and double check that the information in the system is up to date and correct.
The eSD Parent Portal can be found on the school website. Click the button in the middle of the PQ homepage called Parent Log-ins. There is a link and a tutorial there. Here is a direct link to the eSD Parent Portal.
Be sure to do this in advance of August 18th. Your child’s teacher assignment will be posted in the evening on this date!
We hope you are enjoying your summer. Just a few reminders from the Health Office regarding the upcoming years medical paperwork needs.
· New York State law requires a health examination for all students entering the school district for the first time and when entering K, 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th and 11th grade. The examination must be completed by a New York State licensed physician, physician’s
assistant or nurse practitioner.
· The physical form can be found on the school web site under our schools, then Pequenakonck, health office and then forms.
· A copy of the health examination should be provided to the school within 30 days of the start of school.
· Any physical dated from September 7, 2022 through present can be accepted for the 2023-2024 school year.
· All immunization records must be completed and submitted within the first 14 days of school. This is by September 20th 2023. If your child needs to catch because they are behind on their immunizations, the nurse’s office must be provided with the dates of all the appointments.
· If your child will require medication for the next school year please fill out the appropriate forms (please see attached information on medication) and bring the medication to the open house day or on the first day of school.
Please remember all forms need to be signed by both the parent and the health care provider and can be found on the school website. The medication must be brought to school, by parent or designated adult unless the student has the attestation forms to self-carry on
file. Please check the expiration dates of all medications prior to bringing them to school.
Danielle Zaetz, RN
Classroom Teacher Assignments
Classroom Teacher Assignments will be available in the evening on Friday, August 18th on the Parent Portal.
Be sure to read IMPORTANT TASK #1 (above) to make sure you are ready to go on the 18th!
The cost per student to buy breakfast and/or lunch will be:
The District website explains how families can apply to the state to see if they qualify for Free or Reduced meals. Please click the following link to our website for this information:
Watch our IMPORTANT TASK section in future Tuesday Newsdays for how to set up your child's lunch account.
Upcoming Building Events
September 6 - 1st Day of School
- - Kindergarten Early Dismissal 11:30
- - PQ PTO meeting 9:00am
- - Board of Ed Meeting 7:30pm
- - Kindergarten Early Dismissal 11:30am
- - Kindergarten Early Dismissal 11:30am
- - New Families and Kindergarten Social 4:00pm
September 11 - Kindergarten Early Dismissal 11:30am
September 12 - Kindergarten Early Dismissal 11:30am
September 13 - Kindergarten Early Dismissal 11:30am
September 14 - Kindergarten FULL Day
September 20 - Board of Ed Meeting 7:30pm
September 21 - PQ Curriculum Night for Grades K, 1, & 2 @ 6:00pm
September 25 - No School
September 28 - PQ Curriculum Night for Grades 3, 4, & 5 @ 6:00pm
- PQ Band Orientation 7:00pm